Forum Index > Trip Reports > elwha river trail......on going :-)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 pm 
02.07.09 nov 23, 2007...dec 8, 2007...july 5, 2008...august 3, 2008...oct 25, 2008 i may have had my fill of hurricane ridge and snow because this morning i opted to check out the Elwha River trail. what a gorgeous day! sunny but still cold. no one on the trail until i was about 5 minutes to the end. my usual route, i headed to rica canyon, i skipped goblin's gate and headed down to krause bottom. the new sign posted that it's .1, end of the trail with a log blocking! i walked over it anyway and went to the river. what a mess again. the river sure is carving the banks away...
i saw lots of elk droppings more than i've seen before...i left krause bottom, and headed towards humes ranch with a slight detour to the old trail..the river is beautiful!
the restoration of humes ranch is complete. our friend, duck, did a great job! they even fixed up the creek bridge
then i noticed something i've never seen in all the times i've been to the ranch. a concrete foundation. hubby mark thinks its the old green house.
onward to michael's cabin..restoration done
looks like a couple of new kiosks are just about finished, too.
i'm glad i headed to the elwha. i practically had the trail to myself...the sun felt great as i was eating my snacks...so peaceful...

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Traildad

Traildad
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm 
Nice pics and a gorgeous day! I am jealous after spending the day doing yardwork frown.gif

Life is short so live it well.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 6:31 pm 
shack....i'm jealous that you spotted the elk and all i got were poop! poop.gif traildad...sorry you had to do yardwork. at least you were outside agree.gif my house and yard are disasters as i spend my freetime either hiking or pretending to do house/yard work embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 pm 
Thanks for the report. I hope to go to the Elwha River one of these days. I always enjoy reports from the Olympics up.gif

Eric Eames
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 7:50 pm 
Great pictures - looks like a nice place to spend a day.

Canuck

Canuck
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 pm 
I love it there. Haven't been down there for something around 10 years now. frown.gif I'm getting really jealous of all these trip reports from today with the great weather. confused.gif The fog never lifted in Olympia today, it was gray & foggy & cold all day. We did manage, with a ton of side trails, to get about 2.5 miles out of Tolmie State park but all under gray skies...

ScottM

ScottM
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 pm 
Just finished reading Beyond the Trails by Francis Caldwell (Christmas present). I had never realized that Herb and Lois Crisler had lived at Humes Ranch for as many years as they did. This is a fantastic read for anybody interested in Humes Ranch and this area of the Olympics. As always I am extremely envious at how much you are able to get out. Great shots.

Hx

Hx
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm 
If we would have kept going from the Ridge, about 6.1 miles further we could have caught up with you down in Elwah! biggrin.gif wink.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 9:24 pm 
Great stuff Bobbi, thanks!! up.gif

tinman

tinman
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 10:11 pm 
Looks like you had a beautiful day on the Elwha, Bobbi. I got to stay home and work but it was outside and good exercise. Tomorrow, I hike! Not sure yet, just see what I feel like when I get up.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 am 
Havdis wrote:
If we would have kept going from the Ridge, about 6.1 miles further we could have caught up with you down in Elwah! biggrin.gif wink.gif
yep, down wolf creek trail (8 miles), the elwha (hurricane hill) trail 6 miles....but it would be all uphill from there!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 10:32 am 
ScottM wrote:
Just finished reading Beyond the Trails by Francis Caldwell (Christmas present). I had never realized that Herb and Lois Crisler had lived at Humes Ranch for as many years as they did. This is a fantastic read for anybody interested in Humes Ranch and this area of the Olympics. As always I am extremely envious at how much you are able to get out. Great shots.
it's either work at home or work at play embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 am 
r2h.....your boys would love the elwha...especially sitting on the perch at goblin's gate eek.gif (hopefully they aren't scared of heights and aren't squirrly)....never mind, it's too risky but here's a photo. great camping area
sorry canuck about the weather in olympia...it's overcast here today frown.gif thanks all for the comments!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 am 
Lovely trip! I'd be up for anything in Olympic area on the next sunny day..

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am 
Despite the mess it seems like a very nice area. Glad you got out and enjoyed the sunny day.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!