Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oct 11, 2010 Round Mtn Trail #1144 (Tieton)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Oct 11, 2010 8:15 pm 
Just a shorter hike to check the progress of the western larch color change and get some views in a quiet place. This one even climbs a couple of points with prominence, Twin Peaks 5920+ and Round Mountain LO 5970'. The western larches are just starting to turn, but both the Hwy 12 Tieton drainage, and the Hwy 410 American River drainage, will be great places to view the westerns a couple weeks from now. Turn off Hwy 12 onto FS 1200 toward the N.Fk. Tieton TH for about 4 or 5 miles. Then turn right onto FS 530 for four climbing miles of excellent gravel road to the Round Mountain Trail #1144 Trailhead. The trail starts in old partial logging but many big ponderosa pines and Douglass firs are visible. After a mile or so it goes beneath a nice stand of larches. On through subalpine forest with glowing yellow azalea leaves to the LO Trail junction #1144A. 1/2 mile more to the top but I wanted to go over to Twin Peaks 5920+ on good trail. Views were better on the western Point 5843', as named on the map. On a clear day the view of Rainier would be awesome. I just caught the top above the clouds. Then I returned east toward Round Mountain by simply staying on the ridgecrest on very good game trails. Went through the saddle between the peaks and up its west slope to the top of Round Mountain 5970'. Even found, actually was tripped by, the old lookout telegraph line. Nice views south to the Goat Rocks but with the sun slow low this time of year looking south is looking at alot of shadows and glare. Then it was down 1144A back to 1144, back to the car. Passing back beneath the larch stand was great with the later afternoon sun setting the needles ablaze. Maybe this one is not worth the drive from Puget Sound for some but I find the Basalt country of the South Cascades so interesting.
Spiral Butte, across Hwy 12 into the William O Douglas Wilderness
Spiral Butte, across Hwy 12 into the William O Douglas Wilderness
Round Mtn 5970',Twin Peaks 5920+
Round Mtn 5970',Twin Peaks 5920+
Goat Rocks
Goat Rocks
Bismark to Burnt Mtn.
Bismark to Burnt Mtn.
Pt.5843 with a peek of Rainier
Pt.5843 with a peek of Rainier
Ridge walk to Round Mtn 5970'
Ridge walk to Round Mtn 5970'
Bear Creek Mtn, Devils Horn, Tietion, Gilbert, etc
Bear Creek Mtn, Devils Horn, Tietion, Gilbert, etc
Easy ridgetop game trail walkin'
Easy ridgetop game trail walkin'
Telegraph line can kill you!
Telegraph line can kill you!
Peek of Peak of Adams
Peek of Peak of Adams
Lookout foundation
Lookout foundation
Mc Neil, Ironstone, and more
Mc Neil, Ironstone, and more
Starting to turn
Starting to turn
More color
More color
Clear Lake below
Clear Lake below
Getting there
Getting there
Ah!
Ah!
Less than a couple weeks more...
Less than a couple weeks more...
IMG_2126
IMG_2126
BIG Pine
BIG Pine

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message