Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Trappers Peak and X Mountain - October 12, 2010
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:34 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

This hike doesn't get the attention that it deserves!! It is an awesome route that has a bit of everything a hiker could want. There are some gradual sections of trail, some that are steeper, a bit of scrambling and absolutely amazing views  agree.gif  The views ot the Pickets are incredible. Mt Triumph and Despair beckon one to attempt their flanks and Thornton (Old Damnation) stares at you from just a long stones throw away.
The traverse to X Mountain looks really scary, but as we made our way it wasn't as bad as first appeared. The toughest part of the traverse is getting down from Trappers Peak. There is a tough section where the boot path ends. It's steep and covered with vegetation and could be very slippery when wet. From there it's a nice stroll over to the summit.
Enough with my lame attempt at being creative with words and on to the photos and video!
Oh, I did forget to mention the bear tracks that we saw on the trail  eek.gif  There were even a few claw marks in the prints too!!!

--------------
www.youtube.com/bkraai | www.flickr.com/photos/bkraai/sets/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
twodogdad

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm   

up.gif
N
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am   

Awesome Job Guys!!!  I have to say, those Pickets look pretty sexy...

--------------
http://www.facebook.com/BeauRamseyphotography
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Gimpilator

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:31 am   

Thanks Bryan!  This was one of the best hikes of the year.

--------------
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=25744
http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ClimbListC.aspx?cid=2650&sort=elevft&u=ft&j=-1&y=9999

Keep climbing mountains and don't slip!
bonobo
Being here now

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 am   

Nice, nice, nice.  I was up ther a few weeks ago with Yana and thought it was spectacular!  I don't think I'd ever seen the Pickets before, they were crazy looking.

Love the fall color and bear print pics.

ETA: loved the video.

--------------
"Even dead men lie in their coffins"
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 am   

Nice, I love Trappers Peak. I go there every year and the trail and weather has always been good to me, always super hot. Its a really fun trail for me. This past summer I was there when the flowers were blooming and there was still quite a bit of snow up at the top with huge cornices. It was so beautiful. I have a small picture of Lower Thorton lake in the background and beautiful purple heather in the forground with rocks which was taken on the summit of Trappers. It  hangs above my computer at work. Thanks for the video, it was nice to do that trail again.
smile.gif

--------------
Ive got the prescription to get you higher
reststep

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 am   

Thanks for the report and pictures Bryan and that is a great video also.  That is cool that you went over to X Peak.

I see there has been a dusting of snow on the Pickets since I was at Trappers Peak last week.  I make it to about 200 ft. from the top before my turn around time.

Did you see anyone else?  Last week I saw no one.  There were two cars besides mine at the trailhead and they were still there when I left so maybe they were at the lakes.

I found out there is no charge for staying at the Goodell Creek Campground this time of year.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 pm   

Great pics! One of my favs in North Cascades.

--------------
Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Gimpilator

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 pm   

I added some pictures.  Sorry for the delay.  I'll try to include some more later.  Now you can see why I made you wear my red coat.

--------------
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=25744
http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ClimbListC.aspx?cid=2650&sort=elevft&u=ft&j=-1&y=9999

Keep climbing mountains and don't slip!
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:39 pm   

Reststep, we did not see a single soul up there. We had the whole place to ourselves, it was awesome.
Thank you all for the compliments on the video, I really appreciate it.
Gimp, thank you for the great company on such an unbelievable hike! I had never seen the Pickets before and I think this hike spoiled me as to the views of them.
This is certainly a hike that will be on my calendar regularly.

--------------
www.youtube.com/bkraai | www.flickr.com/photos/bkraai/sets/

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Trappers Peak and X Mountain - October 12, 2010  
  Happy Birthday Toonces, sailBOI, mthyer!

Jump to: