Forum Index > Trip Reports > Plummer Peak 10/12/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostWed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm 
Since it was midweek, I had Plummer Peak and the Pinnacle Saddle hike nearly to myself, on this annual excursion, a hike I'd skipped for decades as too short to bother with, when I could hike up to Muir and ski down. Now my preference is for shorter, but still super scenic hikes and this one really fits that bill, with a high ratio of miles to views. I did find some frost and ice on the shady north side of the Plummer shoulder, but--still--no problem. Too many photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/sets/72157625035534715/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostThu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm 
I was considering this hike last week, but another area called to me that won out. lol.gif It looks like it was in great shape. I love the pika photos, how'd you get the little critter to sit so still! up.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 pm 
I was up at Paradise today (no rain or clouds over there) and contemplated this one (I kept looking at it across the valley). Once many years ago I did hike up to the saddle. Wasn't sure how to get to the peak at the time so I called it good there. I could see Pinnacle Peak was more of a scramble. Not sure about Plummer. Yea a lot of bang for the buck. I may still try and get this one in in the next week or so.....

nordique

nordique
PostFri Oct 15, 2010 10:36 am 
The new guidebook for Rainier hikes lumps Pinnacle and Plummer in the category of rock climbing peaks--which is incorrect. Pinnacle gets a lot of scrambler traffic but even with a helmet I think the route is too loose. Plummer is much more straightforward. And, for some reason, the pikas on the Pinnacle Saddle trail seem to enjoy posing for photos, much more so than pikas in other areas.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 am 
So is there more or less a trail (maintained or not) or at least a decent bootpath up Plummer? Is it a walk up or is there still some scrambling required?

nordique

nordique
PostFri Oct 15, 2010 4:19 pm 
John, there is a trail but it's not marked. Some people just follow boot tracks up towards Plummer Peak from the saddle--but those mostly lead to scrambling. Instead, go right from the saddle, to the second of two overlooks that provide a view north--and there you'll find a nice path. When you emerge on the shoulder, note where you came from, so you can find it on the descent (look for a tarn to the west). Then just follow the trail up until you come to a rock and tree limb step; park pack and poles there. You just need to do a couple of moves up, no exposure, and easily reversed on the descent. The first time I did it, I had to wait for a party of men and women in their 70s and 80s, climbing down.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Oct 15, 2010 6:37 pm 
Thanks for the info. It's been so long (20+ years) since I even went up to the saddle I don't remember much about it. I seem to recall kind of looking for a continuation of a trail but seeing none so I just turned around. Sounds easy enough. Hope to get up there again maybe this coming week. That could be the last window.