Forum Index > Trail Talk > RIP to hiker killed on Klahhane Ridge, ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Oct 16, 2010 9:32 pm 
peninsula daily news Olympic National Park News Release October 16, 2010 For Immediate Release Barb Maynes 360-565-3005 Man Sustains Fatal Injury While Hiking in Olympic National Park Sixty-three year old Robert H. Boardman of Port Angeles died this afternoon after sustaining injuries while hiking near Olympic National Park’s Klahhane Ridge today. The incident remains under investigation. Early investigations indicate that Boardman’s injuries were sustained after an encounter with a mountain goat. Park staff were on scene shortly after the initial report and provided emergency medical assistance. Boardman was transported by U.S. Coast Guard helicopter to Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles, where he was pronounced dead. "I am deeply saddened by this tragedy," said Karen Gustin, Olympic National Park Superintendent. "My thoughts are with his family and friends." Rangers responding to the incident were able to locate the goat, confirm its identity and kill it. The goat will be transported to a veterinary pathologist for full analysis. Klahhane Ridge is located near Hurricane Ridge within Olympic National Park, about 17 miles south of Port Angeles. Additional information will be released as it becomes available. -- NPS --

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSat Oct 16, 2010 11:02 pm 
Wow... To be honest I've always been a bit scared of some of the large billy goats, especially in the olympics. They're not scared of people and stare you down while on the trail. I always imagined something like this would happen.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 am 
I don't think I've ever heard about something like this before, although I can see how it could happen.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 5:38 am 
That is just horrible. My thoughts are with his family.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 am 
i'm an acquaintance of Bob, a wonderful and soft spoken man. frown.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 am 
I just got done reading about this. RIP frown.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 8:47 am 
Sad and disturbing. Human-mountain goat interaction has become awfully common in recent years, without anything similar occurring, as far as I know. I think everybody's satisfied that there wasn't anything wrong with Bob Boardman's behavior, so you have to wonder what it was about that particular goat that made it depart from the norm ....... and whether or not we should worry about similar behavior from other mountain goats in the future.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 am 
The goats on Mount Ellinor frighten me the way they play chicken with you. I always take my trekking poles with me when I go up there and not just due to the steepness of the trail. My condolences to friends and family.. http://www.mosswalks.blogspot.com

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 am 
If memory serves me, wasn't there some type of warning sign posted at the Switchback trailhead warning of aggressive goat behavior?

God, I am going to regret this someday!
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 am 
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
If memory serves me, wasn't there some type of warning sign posted at the Switchback trailhead warning of aggressive goat behavior?
Yes there was the last time I was there. That was about two years ago. I don't know if it is still there.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 am 
I was hiking in the Obstruction Point area yesterday and on my way home I saw a fire department pickup truck, a search and rescue pickup truck with a litter in the back, and a law enforcement park ranger talking with hikers at the Switchback Trail trailhead on my way home. I also saw another law enforcement park ranger leaving the Hurricane Ridge parking lot to hike out on the trail towards Mt. Angeles as I was leaving Hurricane Ridge to drive home. I figured something serious must have happened. My condolences to the family and friends.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
AR

AR
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:49 am 
Ah man, again with the damn goats. If there not eating all the damn plants, now its aggressive behavior. There are only about three to four hundred in the range. One afternoon, close the park, bring in this guy and the issue will be solved.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 11:05 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
i'm an acquaintance of Bob, a wonderful and soft spoken man. frown.gif
Very Sad! Thoughts and best wishes to his family...

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 am 
Goats are cute and all, but they are wild animals. Many of them seem to have lost their fear of humans - at least in areas where hunting isn't common. Around these parts your lucky to get within 1000 yards of them, and if it's hunting season, not even that. {edit} The article I read said there are 3000 (!!!) goats in the park. Could that be true??

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 12:54 pm 
Sad story... May he rest in peace.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short