Forum Index > Trip Reports > Vesper Peak with my daughter and dog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:29 pm 
Thank you, Smidge, for recommending Vesper Peak. I was initially going to do this trip with just my dog. But when I told my daughter about the plan, she wanted to come along. We both want to climb more mountains and this looked like a good new experience. We arrived at the trailhead at 8:30. The peaks looked nice and impressive. It was still really chilly in the shadow of the mountains, just 34F. Frost on the ground. There were two other cars and one solo hiker just taking off. We quickly got ready and were on our way by 8:45.
Tree roots everywhere
Tree roots everywhere
Slippery rocks after the creek crossing
Slippery rocks after the creek crossing
Nice trail through the forest
Nice trail through the forest
The first part is a fun forest trail with lots and lots of tree roots and rocks. There are a couple of stream crossings that posed no problem at all. The water level seemed really low, and I guess it would be a different story earlier in the year. After the streams you get to an old rock field that stay in the shade most of the day this time of year. There is a lot of frost on the rocks and it's all rather slippery. We were hiking with poles and that really helped us on the way down when the legs are a little wobbly. It switchbacks up a bit, goes through another piece of forest and then comes around the corner to give you a glimpse of Wirtz Basin.
Rounding the corner
Rounding the corner
What an impressive valley. But there doesn't seem to be a way out!
What an impressive valley. But there doesn't seem to be a way out!
Almost at the back end, it still seems hopeless to be able to hike out
Almost at the back end, it still seems hopeless to be able to hike out
Wirtz Basin is impressive and pretty at the same time. And the legs appreciate the reduction in steepness. The cliffs on all sides are rugged and almost vertical. There seems to be no way out anywhere. But we've read the trip reports and we know that the trail will get us there. About halfway down the valley the trail angles up the west side with some short switchbacks. And then it is one huge tallus field. Good thing people build cairns. Finally you see some chutes on the right (west) side. The last one carries the trail. It seems way too steep.
The way to the pass
The way to the pass
That's steep!
That's steep!
Lots and lots of switchbacks
Lots and lots of switchbacks
The pass!
The pass!
It is steep. And there are a lot of switchbacks. Never ending switchbacks. It is a dangerous area. One small rock rolled down and bumped into a larger one that careened down the slope. Good thing this was at the start of the chute and there was no one below us. Fresh snow made Zoey the dog very happy. The steepness didn't faze her a bit; she had to roll herself in the snow. Somehow she managed to stay on the trail. Laws of physics don't apply to dogs. The other side of the pass is just as steep. but instead of going down, you traverse the talus field on that side. There is a nice path. I don't know how people do this in the winter.
The path stays close to the cliffs of Sperry Peak
The path stays close to the cliffs of Sperry Peak
Pretty lake with our destination in the background
Pretty lake with our destination in the background
Sperry Peak
Sperry Peak
After traversing the tallus field you get to some larger rocks that open up to a beautiful lake. The water is so clear! Time to check out the destination. It doesn't seem so far anymore. You need to cross the outlet where you left the tallus field to gain access to the ridge that takes you to the summit. Some tough vegetation is trying to survive here. More snow and a steep trail. And then the vegetation gives way to marvellous granite slabs.
I love snow
I love snow
Slabs!
Slabs!
There are a lot of routes through these slabs. All have cairns indicating the way to go. Just keep going up and when you run out of up, you're at the top! And what a view! Granite and Baker are prominently there, Big Four shows its south side, Copper lake has a strange colour, the valley to the south. Lots to feast your eyes on. And hanging over the edge to look at the north face is fun. That's a long ways down!
We made it!
We made it!
Long way down
Long way down
Every TR needs to include a photo of Copper Lake
Every TR needs to include a photo of Copper Lake
Rainier just showing through the haze
Rainier just showing through the haze
Big Four and Baker (what is that white peak above the right part of Big Four?)
1 label
Glacier
Glacier
We arrived at the summit around 12:30. Time for lunch and chatting about the hike and other ones to come. And soon it is time to go back down. We chose a different route down that Zoey seemed to prefer. I thought she was just wandering where she wanted to go, but halfway down I found that she actually followed a scent trail of some other hikers. We saw two other solo hikers make it to the top. On the way down we saw two more groups, but they were rather late and decided not to try for the top. Good decision as it was cooling down quite a bit by the time we got back to the car.
Route finding on the slabs on the way down
Route finding on the slabs on the way down
I took my climbing buddy with me
I took my climbing buddy with me
Going back to the pass. That is a steep tallus field
Going back to the pass. That is a steep tallus field
Top of the pass
Top of the pass
One last look up the chute
One last look up the chute
This is a great hike. Lots of diversity to keep things interesting. And a great summit to enjoy the surroundings from. So now we have to find someone to teach us mountaineering so we can do even higher and more challenging summits

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm 
woutervw wrote:
1 label
That is Mount Shuksan.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
smidge

smidge
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:24 pm 
You're welcome! Looks like you had a fine day out there. If you like Granite slabs, Hidden Lake Peak is a nice one too.

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 7:18 pm 
Sarvesh wrote:
That is Mount Shuksan.
Thanks! Interesting mountain. I need to get me some gear and experience.
smidge wrote:
If you like Granite slabs, Hidden Lake Peak is a nice one too.
I've liked slabs ever since someone I met on the internet took me to Joshua Tree NP for some rockclimbing. I was just in the US for a little vacation and being from the Netherlands, my climbing was limited to indoor and some rocks in Luxembourg. Just walking up impossibly steep slabs of course grit sandpaper felt amazing. The slabs of Vesper reminded me of that feeling. Montana is bit too far though. Thanks!

smidge

smidge
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 8:51 am 
Actually Hidden Lake Peak is in WA off highway 20 past Marblemount. There's a recent trip report about it on nwhikers. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987242

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 11:53 am 
smidge wrote:
Actually Hidden Lake Peak is in WA off highway 20 past Marblemount. There's a recent trip report about it on nwhikers.
I went to SummitPost and put "Hidden Lake Peak" into their search feature and it came back with a peak in Montana. Doing some poking around, I found that if you enter "Hidden Lake Peaks", it comes up with the correct one. The difference a letter makes. That does look like a great adventure. Maybe a winter overnighter.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 3:32 pm 
I love to see families get out together. So cool. Looks like you had a lot of fun with your daughter!