Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cooney Lake, Switchback and Martin Peaks: Oct 16-17, 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yet

Yet
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 3:19 pm 
Cooney Lake, Switchback and Martin Peaks: Oct 16-17, 2010 Mr. & Mrs. Mesahchie aka Mark & Yet (with Rufus the dog) The adventure begins at home. Saturday at 8 am, the gear is in the car and the dog is in the backseat. Mark and I set out for the long drive. We’ve done this many times before; the familiar, scenic route to a favorite place, the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness. We settle into a comfortable routine. Mark drives, I doze off in the passenger seat. Rufus is content with being a dog in the back. I wake up and babble about nothing and everything, Mark listens and grunts once in a while. I love our life! Today our destination was the Foggy Dew Trailhead (~3500’)! We arrived sometime in the early afternoon. The air was cold and crisp, but the sun was warm and bright – a beautiful day! We noticed only one other car at the trailhead as we prepared to hike in. This trail gains about 3700’ in about ~8 miles. Nice and gentle as can be.
Mark and Rufus
Mark and Rufus
Yet and Rufus
Yet and Rufus
Snake on the trail!
Snake on the trail!
Mark set a nice pace for dog and wife, arriving at Cooney Lake (7241') in about 4 hours with the requisite breaks and whatnot. The larches were denuded with their needles now carpeting the ground in gold. We had this wonderful place all to ourselves. We picked our campsite and set our packs down. My hands immediately froze so the first order of business was to bundle up in not one, but two puffy jackets. Brrrrr! We quickly set up the tent and I made the beds while Mark made waters. The golden sky gently transitioned into a soft dusk before enveloping us in its velvety darkness. But not completely, for the half-moon that adorned the sky threatened to rival the sun’s brightness. Then one by one, the stars came out to regale us with their twinkling. Ah, this is heaven! After our sumptuous feast of Mountain House dinners, and armed with our hot water bottles, we settled in for the night. It was 8:30 p.m. I fell into a restful sleep almost immediately. Two hours later, Mark announced that he was taking Rufus out to pee as he drank half the lake earlier in the evening. I went, too. After all, the family that pees together, stays together. I find it a chore to get out of a nice lovely cocoon, put the boots on and force oneself into the cold night. But once out there, to be wowed by the beautiful sky, the moon and the stars, and the mysterious shadows of the mountains and meadows … what a truly special treat! Sunday morning was no less gorgeous than the preceding day. We were hiking by 7:30 am, bathed in glorious sunshine.
Shadows
Shadows
Gold
Gold
Cooney Lake
Cooney Lake
It was like a fairy tale, and we were just so happy to be there!
Following Mark and Rufus.
Following Mark and Rufus.
Enveloped in sunshine. Stamped and sealed.
Enveloped in sunshine. Stamped and sealed.
Good morning, mountains!
Good morning, mountains!
For this morning's agenda, the plan was to do a clockwise loop starting with Switchback Peak (8321') heading southwest of Cooney Lake. What a fun little hike up to the peak!
Home
Home
Doesn't he look happy?
Doesn't he look happy?
Summit Cairn
Summit Cairn
This trip has a special bonus: Mark's 50th Top 100 = Switchback Peak. smile.gif
Who's
Who's
Your
Your
Daddy!
Daddy!
We found not one, not two, but three registers!
Register?
Register?
More Registers?
More Registers?
Three registers!
Three registers!
Mark happily signed two of the three registers to record this momentous occasion. The third one was drenched.
Mesahchie Mark #50
Mesahchie Mark #50
Rufus was there, too!
Rufus was there, too!
One a Day!
One a Day!
I joined the celebration. smile.gif
Yet on Switchback Peak
Yet on Switchback Peak
Summit Pringles
Summit Pringles
Yummy!
Yummy!
We were surrounded by beautiful views!
Too soon it was time to go. We had another peak to visit!
Heading Down
Heading Down
Can't Stop Smiling
Can't Stop Smiling
Man and Dog Surveying their Kingdom for the Day
Man and Dog Surveying their Kingdom for the Day
Talus Ridge Hop to Martin Peak
Talus Ridge Hop to Martin Peak
Cooney Lake
Cooney Lake
Shadows and Mountains
Shadows and Mountains
Following Mark and Rufus to Martin Peak
Following Mark and Rufus to Martin Peak
Looking Back at Switchback
Looking Back at Switchback
Larch Shot
Larch Shot
False Summit
False Summit
We're going there?
We're going there?
Yes We Are
Yes We Are
Yet on the Rocks
Yet on the Rocks
A little over an hour of fun talus hopping ensued, and then we found ourselves on Martin Peak (8375').
Summit Shot
Summit Shot
Rufus on Martin Peak
Rufus on Martin Peak
Posers on Martin Peak
Posers on Martin Peak
More beautiful views here!
We took photos, we hydrated and snacked. Then it was time to head back to camp.
Rufus is Rocking it
Rufus is Rocking it
Is beautiful, Yes
Is beautiful, Yes
Is happy, Yes
Is happy, Yes
Tree and the Giant Dog
Tree and the Giant Dog
Heading Back to Cooney Lake
Heading Back to Cooney Lake
Just Skipping Along
Just Skipping Along
Man and Dog
Man and Dog
Horse Camp
Horse Camp
Our Home for Two Awesome Days
Our Home for Two Awesome Days
I Has Something on my Nose
I Has Something on my Nose
It was a perfect 4-hour, leisurely loop in beautiful country, beautiful weather, beautiful company. Mark and I couldn't be happier! We contentedly broke down camp and hiked out. Even when our feet were tired and our packs felt heavier, we were still happy.
Bye, Sawtooths.
Bye, Sawtooths.
This concludes our Chelan-Sawtooths trips. For now. Mark has visited all the T100 peaks in this area, and I even inadvertently bagged a few! What a wonderful finale to a fantastic season. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 3:47 pm 
Yet wrote:
Tree and the Giant Dog
Tree and the Giant Dog
One happy dog! up.gif up.gif Gorgeous pics - what a fabulous weekend to be out and to say good-bye, likely, to brown trails for the season!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 pm 
That was a Happy 50th & 51st! N

huron

huron
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm 
50! party.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 4:25 pm 
Great trip, you two!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 8:38 pm 
Happy 50th, Mark!! humpy.gif How many does that make for you, Yet?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm 
congrats Mark on #50.....not fond of the snake..... Yet, i chuckled about your 'routine'......my Mark drives, i almost immediately say, "i sleep now', etc. lol.gif so glad that your marriage is still blissful wub.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Yet

Yet
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:09 pm 
Thanks, everyone! smile.gif SD, Rufus is a happy dog! It was funny to watch him be all sleepy when we got home last night though. Poor puppy! Ingunn, I think I have 12 now. Started last year with Windy Peak. I just follow Mark when I can and I end up on some peak one way or the other. Usually, it's the other. dizzy.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Bobbi, I should have said ... we settle in a comfortable routine, or at least, comfortable for me! embarassedlaugh.gif huh.gif Of course, the marriage is still blissful. Why wouldn't it be? It's not like I'm high maintenance or anything. huh.gif winksmile.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am 
What a great trip, and what a great way to cap a great year! Much thanks to my wonderful wife for capturing the experience and saving it here, to be remembered and enjoyed this winter. The Foggy Dew approach to Cooney Lake did seem long, especially since we were in forest for much of it. Does anyone know what the distance is, trailhead to lake? Summit views from Switchback and Martin were excellent - a 3 volcano day. I cannot get enough of this stuff! smile.gif Why are there now THREE registers on Switchback? huh.gif Only two were signable! dizzy.gif Heading home Sunday evening, following the sunset on the Columbia River definitely lent an air of finality to the trip, and to the 2010 season...but one can hope for more! agree.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Roald

Roald
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 pm 
"...After all, the family that pees together, stays together..." So that's the secret. Thanks for the TR!