Forum Index > Trip Reports > Copper Pass - Copper Peak 7840' (Sawtooths)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm 
Location : West of Twisp, Wa. Access : SR 97 > Twisp River Rd. to just before the Roads End CG Maps : GTM – Holden, USGS MC ALESTER Quad, TOPO Stats : 11.5 mi, 4500’ r/t
Copper Pass - Peak  7840 via Twisp Pass and Copper Pass Trails
Copper Pass - Peak 7840 via Twisp Pass and Copper Pass Trails
Steve and I were able to hook up for this trip, we tentatively agreed to do something up Twisp River Rd – Twisp Pass and as we drove up under clear skies from Wenatchee I threw out the idea of Copper Pass / Peak being we hadn’t been up there before, we did Stiletto last year and were thinking Lincoln Butte and …, or Twisp – Hock, but were unsure about enough time for a day hike. We wanted something not to short, not to long, but just right. As we drove through Twisp the temp in town was 18 degrees, so we were ready for a fast start and pace. The gate between North Lake / Twisp Pass TH was open to Roads End CG so we continued all most to the CG saving .5 miles where we pulled over and took a side trail that quickly intersected with the Twisp Pass Trail Orange hats on our heads, the ground was frozen, the vegetation frosty. The trail was in good condition and we made good time to the jct. with the Copper Pass Trail where we decided it’s some place new at the end, so let’s check it out and take in some views. The trail was in good condition, most of the colors were past peak, but as we headed up basin we entered very nice old growth forest which was very open and pleasant to hike in. We forded a low North Fork Twisp River and eventually came upon remnants of a very old cabin and fireplace that over looked an impressive waterfall. It wasn’t to long after that that the trail became narrower, more rocky, and started to open up into sub-alpine basins, Copper Mountain came into view and eventually the Pass, and the final basin which is where the head waters of the North Fork Twisp River originate and there was a small stream flowing still.
Hock
Hock
Twisp
Twisp
Lincoln Butte
Lincoln Butte
Upper NF Twisp River waterfalls.
Upper NF Twisp River waterfalls.
Gilbert
Gilbert
Steve with Copper Mountain in the background.
Steve with Copper Mountain in the background.
Copper Pass comes into view.
Copper Pass comes into view.
We took a break at the pass, and some pics, staring at mountains, high points, and ridges we weren’t that familiar with, and Copper Mountain / Peak. From the Pass the ridge route looked like it could be class 3 and loose, so we picked a route which would be a rising traverse of the West side on some talus, but mostly heather, then up the heather to the ridge. That was the plan. But we saw a trail leading towards the ridge and decided to check it out, because you never know from a distance. We came up to a slabby section, which was short, with hand holds, but Steve didn’t like it with his heavier cold weather pack, I took a look, and it was doable, but with my left shoulder I wasn’t in the mood for yanking and cranking, I though maybe people might have went below and around this, but didn’t investigate it, we decided to go with the original plan, except that we were higher than we needed to be and above a cliff band, so we tried to climb up slab rock and get to the heather, it looked easier than it was, and Steve said, “I’m just going to drop down”, I was above him, and I thought I could get up and over, but such is the case that it sometimes looks like more than it is from below and I found myself higher and on steeper slab rock with crappy handholds, then vertical flakes, and eventually in the middle of a slab gully with no hand holds on a downward slanting lip, any further steps across were uncertain and on moss, and the heather I was trying to reach turned out to be on the other side of another slab gully. So I am am thinking to myself, looking at the hundreds of feet of nothing below me, “Why am I here ?, What the F#$% was I thinking ?, I imagine many scramblers and climbers have said that at some point, so I very thoughtfully backed out and down climbed the rock to where Steve was sitting and having a siesta, I said, “Damn Steve, why did you let me do a stupid thing like that ?, I probably wasted enough time and cranked my arm around, I could have done the ridge by now, we both probably could have”. I have to say that I just seem to have got suckered in and there I was, but I was upset because, there we were, just two of us, and I put myself at risk, as well as him. That’s my rant, and self flagellation, and a little more useful experience to learn from.
Looking WNW from Copper Pass.
Looking WNW from Copper Pass.
View right at Copper Pass.
View right at Copper Pass.
View of summit route from the top of the gulley.
View of summit route from the top of the gulley.
Steve hiking up the pile to the summit.
Steve hiking up the pile to the summit.
Golden Horn and Tower
Golden Horn and Tower
The Needles
The Needles
Black
Black
Siver Star
Siver Star
Steve enjoying the weather and the views.
Steve enjoying the weather and the views.
From the summit looking at Switchblade - Stiletto - Lookout and Copper Creek Basin to the right.
From the summit looking at Switchblade - Stiletto - Lookout and Copper Creek Basin to the right.
Copper Creek Basin and Lake 5850'
Copper Creek Basin and Lake 5850'
Looking down the steep heather and rock gully we came up.
Looking down the steep heather and rock gully we came up.
Crescent
Crescent
South Butte
South Butte
Bad late day lighting but nice line up of Crescent - South Butte - Licoln Butte from the upper basin
Bad late day lighting but nice line up of Crescent - South Butte - Licoln Butte from the upper basin
Anyhow, we dropped down, took the route we initially planned from the pass and popped out on the ridge directly in front of the peak, made good time to the summit which had terrific views, enjoyed the sunshine, and lunch then made our way back. Despite some technical difficulties it was a pretty awesome trip.
Breaking into an upper basin on the Copper Pass Trail
Breaking into an upper basin on the Copper Pass Trail
Copper Mountain - Peak 7840 from Copper Pass
Copper Mountain - Peak 7840 from Copper Pass
Copper Pass and Upper Basin the beginning of the North Fork Twisp River
Copper Pass and Upper Basin the beginning of the North Fork Twisp River
Early open view of Copper Mountain from the SW
Early open view of Copper Mountain from the SW
Kangaroo Ridge to the East from the summit of Copper
Kangaroo Ridge to the East from the summit of Copper
Large summit pano
Large summit pano
Only 500 ft to go to the summit
Only 500 ft to go to the summit
Past peak colors
Past peak colors
Summit pano 2
Summit pano 2
Summit pano 3
Summit pano 3
View from Copper Peak back towards ridge leading to Switchblade and Stiletto
View from Copper Peak back towards ridge leading to Switchblade and Stiletto
View to the North from Copper Pass, I think the ridge to the right may be the back side of Early Winter Spires
View to the North from Copper Pass, I think the ridge to the right may be the back side of Early Winter Spires

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
wow! ....your photos brought the sawtooths up close and personal up.gif lots and lots of peaks!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
I was above him, and I thought I could get up and over. . . So I am am thinking to myself, looking at the hundreds of feet of nothing below me, “Why am I here ?, What the F#$% was I thinking?
Is this sort of like asking for directions? lol.gif winksmile.gif Beautiful pics - thank you for sacrificing your body for our vicarious pleasures!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 3:01 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Is this sort of like asking for directions? lol.gif winksmile.gif
Sometimes making your own directions works and sometimes it doesn't. Looks like a good trip anyway.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm 
Awesome Rob! That looks like a fun trip!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 4:34 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Is this sort of like asking for directions? lol.gif winksmile.gif
Sometimes making your own directions works and sometimes it doesn't. Looks like a good trip anyway.
I've had good luck at pulling out and avoiding trouble so far. clown.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Oct 19, 2010 4:39 pm 
Layback wrote:
Awesome Rob! That looks like a fun trip!
I think we were fairly close to where you guys were Joe, on the West side of the ridge. I'm not real familiar with a lot of those peaks yet, though I have done some climbing and scrambling off Cascade River Rd.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Oct 22, 2010 12:34 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
wildernessed wrote:
I was above him, and I thought I could get up and over. . . So I am am thinking to myself, looking at the hundreds of feet of nothing below me, “Why am I here ?, What the F#$% was I thinking?
Is this sort of like asking for directions? lol.gif winksmile.gif Beautiful pics - thank you for sacrificing your body for our vicarious pleasures!
winksmile.gif Very nice spot, the sun obscured our views to the South, but a nice Fall trip.