Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foggy Lake-Postholing thru the Basin-11/3/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am 
The title says it all. It was an ironic struggle on a beautiful indian summer afternoon in November. Garrison and I decided to take an afternoon stroll in 70 degree weather. Ah but Seattle was not enough to sate our desire for a little outdoor play in the snow. We got more than we bargained for as a slushy snow began to slow us down c4000 ft. It was patchy and very slippery as the trail was like a stream tumbling over a rocky drainage. It was completely under snow about a third of a mile (300 ft below) before the basin. We pressed on, of course, into the predictably beautiful Gothic Basin, and were greeted with the usual potpourri of peaks and tarns, the smaller ones already frozen over. The heavy snow over the past week glazed the landscape with the essence of winter, but the treachery of late spring. Garrison and I both fell through to our chests, as some snow had drifted up against the larger rocks and subsequently thawed. These hidden moat-like obstacles made a half mile trek across the basin seem like a 5 mile traverse. In fact, we made it to the falls around 4000ft in a little over an hour, but it took us at least another hour just to reach Foggy Lake. When we finally reached Foggy Lake, I still had ideas about summiting Gothic Peak. It had taken us over 2 hours, and it was already 4p. Normally, I wouldn't mind coming down in the dark, but the slippery conditions told me not to. The snow showed evidence of small slides, and there was just enough to cover the larger boulders, but not enough to support my weight sans snow shoes. I was also worried about Garrison falling through, not to mention myself. We enjoyed the late-afternoon solitude at Foggy Lake, and then began retracing our steps (or deep holes) back out of the basin. I should mention that the stream crossing .75 miles up the trail (1.9 miles from the gate) requires some nimble stepping unless you reside yourself to getting your feet wet. Please feel free to label my photos as I have not had time to do so. Total round trip distance to Foggy Lake is 10.45 miles.
FoggyLake-101103 - 60
FoggyLake-101103 - 60

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikapath

hikapath
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 8:22 pm 
Seattle--I assume you and your buddy were the pair us old guys saw as we turned around at about 3:30 shortly before the basin. we talked about the stream crossing potential in the dark.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message