Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lookout Mountain Lookout, Day Hike 10/30/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostWed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm 
Lookout Mountain Lookout, Day Hike 10/30/2010 Well I’m sure many of you have done this hike before, so reading this report will be nothing new for most of you, but while perusing recent trip reports on the forum, (the most recent one being in June from D. Inscho) I thought a short trip report updating current conditions and some snowy pictures would be in order! (Plus I’m still sort of new here and my post numbers are pathetic at the moment) So here you go… Moose and I drove north as we watched an incredibly clear, red sunrise over the Cascades! It’s not supposed to be like this today. What’s going on? Could this beautiful weather hold out long enough for us to reach the lookout? Would the weather forecast be wrong like usual? Would we need snowshoes? Would it be another failed attempt like when we tried this hike last Spring? Arrived at the Trail Head with blue skies above us. We parked and off we went! Starting out on the steep switchbacks, grinding out elevation in the green mossy forest of Hemlock, Alaskan Cedars and Maples, most with just a few remaining yellow leaves left on their branches. At around 3 miles and at an elevation of 3500 feet, we reach the signpost, East to Monogram Lake, west to the lookout. Continue on, the trail now was not as steep as it was, easing up a bit and giving out calves a break. Patchy snow began showing up at around 4000 feet.
The allusive sign-post.
The allusive sign-post.
Sings of snow at 4000 feet.
Sings of snow at 4000 feet.
Funky Fungi.
Funky Fungi.
Once the trail opened up and we got out of the big old growth, the blue skies were no more. It looked like during our time in the forest, the clouds had rolled in, decreasing our visibility in a big way. Damn it! But what's that up ahead of us? The lookout? Yes! Nice!
IMG_0998 edit II.jpg
IMG_0998 edit II.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
Substantially more snow now. Trail was completely covered, but we could see the faint outline of it buried under about 12 inches. Onward and up, thru some exposed areas, across some chutes and in and out of the trees a few times. As we gained elevation, the deeper the snow got. At this point Mother Nature decided to give us some fresh stuff as it began to really come down.
Moose in whiteout conditions.
Moose in whiteout conditions.
Just a few hundred more feet to go!
Just a few hundred more feet to go!
No more trail now, so we made our own. Lookout was close in sight as we post holed the last few hundred feet. We had arrived.
Moose at the Lookout. Riptide in the sticks.
Moose at the Lookout. Riptide in the sticks.
What a beautifully maintained lookout! Thanks Dan Trudeau for adopting this wonderful place. I’m sure its taken hundreds of hours and many volunteers to keep this place in such top-notch condition. This afternoon however, the only visitors were us and absolutely no views of anything except falling snow. We boiled water and made soup, warmed up for a bit and back down we went before the darkness came.
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
Lookout register. (Picture idea stolen from Iron)
Lookout register. (Picture idea stolen from Iron)
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg
Total hiking time 7 hours, 10 miles RT. 3800 feet gain. Thanks for reading! Riptide Out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostWed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif One of my favorites! I love this place! There was still snow last June when I went as well. June 27th I think... Nice photos and great report! Thanks for sharing.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
zoeylefty

zoeylefty
PostFri Nov 05, 2010 11:16 pm 
Did any of you lose a chilly glove? We went up Nov. 4th and found one.

Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 am 
Thanks Hit for reading! It’s a pretty spectacular place. I need to go back on a clear day for the views! Have you done Hidden lake Lookout, which is just a few miles east from the lookout Mt trail head? You probably have. That one in my opinion is probably one of the best “bang for the buck” day hike in that area!

Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 11:28 am 
Thanks Zoeylefty for the read! We are both good on the gloves. BTW was it a left or right one?

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 5:31 pm 
Nothing like ascending in a snowy blow. That route you took is a steep, slippery thrash (been there). Thanks for the fun read & pictorial RR. It looks as though the shutters have still not been secured. Did you see if they are stowed below? I am hoping to get up there in the next clear spell to shutter the place for the winter. & BTW, you should give yourself some more credit, unless they shortened the mountain, you gained 4400'.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Moose

Moose
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 pm 
Thanks for writing up the trip report Riptide. Great hike as always! Not a lot of views but after all the great luck with weather we've had on hikes I can't complain. I'm looking forward to WINTER! A few more photos:
Descending clouds
Descending clouds
Iced up
Iced up