Forum Index > Trip Reports > Money Creek road open 10/30/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 am 
I decided to checkout Money Creek and the new repairs. Very nice work.
New washout fix looking West
New washout fix looking West
New washout fix looking East
New washout fix looking East
Elizabeth lake
Elizabeth lake
Roads end
Roads end
Lake sign
Lake sign

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 pm 
That's quite a substantial repair considering that road doesn't really go anywhere.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
That's quite a substantial repair considering that road doesn't really go anywhere.
I thought the same thing Bryan. Weird.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 1:29 am 
I've wondered about that too on another post and never got a response. I wonder if there's an existing agreement with the mines in that area to provide access. Similar to the MFK road and the fiasco there with private ownership? Or, East access to the Tolt Res. watershed that must stay open? That looks like a ton of money. I'm happy to see they (FS, County) has money to waste like this. Makes me more than happy to jump on the bandwagon for additional access fees!...... shakehead.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 12:19 pm 
Could they get to the Tolt from Money Creek? Sure but it would take a bull dozer. This is the end of the road.
Roads end
Roads end

wolfs

wolfs
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 pm 
What is the Money Ck road like in general, to get to the end? 4WD and or high clearance recommended at any point?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 pm 
wolfs wrote:
What is the Money Ck road like in general, to get to the end? 4WD and or high clearance recommended at any point?
There are two places along the road that Id suggest a high clearance vehicle. One of the two almost required four wheel drive is was so crappy.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Could they get to the Tolt from Money Creek? Sure but it would take a bull dozer. This is the end of the road.
Roads end
Roads end
I'm not sure where the official boundary to the Res. is but looking at TOPO the end of the road is inside the watershed and 3/4 of Lk. Elizabeth? Hmmm, I don't recall seeing any death signs near there? I know the road doesn't continue, but 6540 would provide access to the upper east end of the watershed. Only thing I can come up with why that road gets $$$ dumped in there on a regular basis and other roads go to rot or decommissioned. Maybe all those crazy mine explorers wield more clout than we thought!.... hockeygrin.gif Is the concrete up and down the county repair? Wow, that must have cost some big $$$. That's one of the largest I've seen. BPJ, do you think I could get my Honda up there? Thinking I might run up there in the next couple days before it gets socked in with snow for the winter.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 5:35 pm 
Yer going to want more ground clearance than a Miata above the switchbacks.
Ya it doesn't take much. This is just before the San Francisco\Apex mine area.
Ya it doesn't take much. This is just before the San Francisco\Apex mine area.
As for why it keeps getting fixed, my theory is because it's a King County road. KC seems to fix all their roads.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm 
Geo, honda what exactly? Probably, there are two spots that youd have to be very careful placing your tires correctly to get by without dragging your undercarriage to badly. Thanks one of the spots Im talking about. Thanks H.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 pm 
Thanks, HH that looks a bit sketchy for my Civic. BPJ, I thought you've seen my 4x4 Civic with the 36" Super Swampers!.... hockeygrin.gif Ground clearance sucks big time and the underneath looks like someone went nuts with a hammer, so it's not a stranger to rough roads. I just repaired a gas tank leak (again) last week, so I try and stay clear of the jagged rocks. I can see jagged chunky rocks, so looks like I'll have to drive my truck. So $$$ was spent by the county to go what 2 miles then you come to the FS portion of the road and you have to have 4x4 or high clearance? Did the FS portion of the road even get worked on?

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostTue Nov 09, 2010 6:22 pm 
Using the right tool for the job...
Damon and Pythias Mine.jpg
Damon and Pythias Mine.jpg
up.gif

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Nov 10, 2010 12:19 am 
I've never seen a washout area covered in concrete like that. Think it will hold?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Nov 10, 2010 1:42 am 
That's by far the biggest I've seen, but they're not that uncommon. I think the biggest one I know about is on the road in to the Foss Lakes trailhead, where it crosses Burn Creek, a pretty good sized tributary of the Foss. However, that one is a year-round ford, not just a precaution. There were several, more modest ones, up on that section of the Illabot Creek Road that's proposed for decommissioning.
Concrete ford on Illabot Creek Road
Concrete ford on Illabot Creek Road

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 am 
The one near the Foss Lks TH went in long long ago. Mid 70's if I remember right. Back when someone had the common sense to know that it didn't provide salmon habitat. That area used to wash out almost yearly. It's held up well, although early spring the water is a bit deep!......smile.gif