Forum Index > Trail Talk > Thank You Veterans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
runup

runup
PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm 
Get Out and Go: Nordique has evidently deleted his post that seemed to contrast your service with his in an uncomplimentary fashion. Your gracious reply further highlights the character of the soldiers of the distinctive unit in which you honorably served. Truly first class, as so artfully noted by catsp. Thank you for your service.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 pm 
catsp wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
Nordique, thanks for your service and sacrifice. I met all the requirements and served honorably, attaining the rank of Sergeant, E-5.
Seems like somewhere along the way you attained the rank of Sergeant, "First Class." wink.gif
Sergeant is E5. Sergeant First Class is an E7.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
catsp

catsp
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
catsp wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
Nordique, thanks for your service and sacrifice. I met all the requirements and served honorably, attaining the rank of Sergeant, E-5.
Seems like somewhere along the way you attained the rank of Sergeant, "First Class." wink.gif
Sergeant is E5. Sergeant First Class is an E7.
Learn About the Different Types of Puns in Literature and Tips on How to Write a Great Pun

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 pm 
The father of a friend of mine was drafted and to be sent to a deadly place during Vietnam. Then someone of some level of authority learned he played the organ exceptionally well. He ended up in relative safety doing clerical work and playing the organ. His unit got annihilated. He called it luck when he told me the story.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Nov 11, 2020 12:51 pm 
link didn't work

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 11, 2020 5:41 pm 
My great-uncle died last year and was buried with full military honors at Tahoma National Cemetery. I'd never attended such a service before. What really made an impression was how solemn the enlisted and veteran participants were; how seriously they took the ceremony - as if the deceased was one of their own - which, in a sense, they are. I got all verklempt.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm 
To all those who give us veterans a thank you for your service, you are welcome. I was a po2 (e5) navy radioman. I was on SAR station the tonkin gulf three times, incountry the delta once and guam at the end. My brother and I were in the 'nam' at the same time, he was slightly wounded but it hounded him until he bit the bullet in 2005. I at 73 look back 50 years and remember, some good most not so good. yall is welcome and enjoy your freedom! Go Navy

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Nov 11, 2020 6:33 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
To all those who give us veterans a thank you for your service, you are welcome.
Yes. And I've always felt that I didn't contribute much as compared to those who were the actual "boots on the ground". My job was to help ensure that IF they were ever called upon, they would fly - the Minuteman Missiles. So far, they're still waiting, and thank God for that.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
runup

runup
PostWed Nov 11, 2020 9:11 pm 
I’m fortunate to still be in contact with some of those I was honored to serve with years ago. The consensus among us is that those most deserving of recognition for their sacrifices are those who wait and worry during deployment of a loved one and must deal with whatever the outcome may be.

nordique

nordique
PostThu Nov 12, 2020 8:24 am 
I was drafted out of grad school in 1966, out of a program from which no one else was ever drafted. In WW2, dad got a draft notice; he tore it up and enlisted in the army air corps where he served as a flight instructor, saving the lives of more than a few rookie pilot trainees who were ill suited to flying. I did well in basic training and the army sent me to military intelligence school, which was very interesting and served at Ft Bragg in a military intelligence unit. My unit was then sent to Vietnam for a year, where I worked in a joint U.S. Army/South Vietnam Army MI unit that processed captured enemy documents. South Vietnamese translated those documents into rough English and we college kids made them into intelligence reports that were widely shared. Only a few of us edited those secret reports so we could tell who wrote what when some of our work turned up in Time magazine. When the 1968 Tet Offensive started, I climbed up onto the roof of one of our buildings to take photos. I was wounded by enemy sniper fire on that rooftop. I was able to climb back down, one-legged, and was rushed by my buddies to a big army hospital which soon came under enemy fire as well. I was flown out of Vietnam the next day to Japan. After two weeks of stabilization in Japan, I finally was flown to California and then on various flights back to my home state on the east coast. When I finally got out of the army, on crutches, I was declared no longer physically able to perform my duties, so I at least got out of years of reserve duty. I always had great medical coverage in my working years which was good since that right leg generated a lot of later operations. And that is why I am so happy to now be able to hike without crutches, if slowly! I get around the house on crutches often.
Near the Saigon Central Market. Then, as now, always a camera at the ready.
Near the Saigon Central Market. Then, as now, always a camera at the ready.

Now I Fly
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 pm 
What the hey, myself and my father.....
AF T-38/1983
AF T-38/1983
Corsair
Corsair

I desire medium danger williswall.com

Now I Fly
catsp

catsp
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 7:13 am 
(Warning, sense of humor check.) Over the years I’ve managed to pick up some decent hiking gear for reasonable prices from Army-Navy stores. So I just wanted to say… Thank you for your surplus.

runup
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 am 
I've said my "piece" above. this is not the place to delve further into what "really" is. but send more hiking pictures for us to look at...

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 pm 
I am impressed by and appreciate the veterans on this forum. I love the pictures which evoke moments in lives when we were part of something larger than ourselves. Now that I’m old and a father I understand how important it is for the older generation to not squander the willingness of youth to serve and protect. May we be worthy of this responsibility. There is a thread going about getting lost. I always think, I can’t get lost. My unit is counting on me to call in air support or artillery if needed. I need to know where “we” are at all times. Those are the kind of thoughts and habits that stay with veterans, that haunt them perhaps, for better or worse, throughout their lives.

runup  Now I Fly
NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 11:28 pm 
Best job I've ever had.

runup, yukon222