HundsSolo

Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A long time ago

An Old Chapter
An Old Chapter

--------------
The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY!
If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you.
Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen

LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 pm 
I will never know your level of dedication or sacrifice, but because of it, I get to call myself free. Thank you.

--------------
Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail

PostFri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 am 
HundsSolo wrote:
A long time ago

An Old Chapter
An Old Chapter

HundsSolo - Notice the unit patch. Looks like we served in the same place.

Yesterday I put on the top half of my old uniform and got free breakfast at the American Legion, free lunch at a fire station BBQ, and free dinner at Applebees. Thank you America for thanking vets!!
HundsSolo

HundsSolo

PostFri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 am 
Youngsters we were and so innocent about life

--------------
The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY!
If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you.
Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail

PostFri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 am 
That was a good place to shed your innocence.
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN

What goes here?????
PostSat Nov 13, 2010 7:44 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
That was a good place to shed your innocence.

I think I went in corrupted  hockeygrin.gif
army pics
army pics

and came out a little more innocent...
mepokeu

mepokeu

PostSat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm 

Camping after parachuting into Iraq

Im still in. 10 more years till retirement
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm 
You're welcome.  I served in the 3rd Infantry, the ceremonial unit in Washington, D.C. from 1972-75.  Here's a much younger me attaining Sergeant, E-5.  Shout-out to all you other vets!  up.gif
Old Guard
Old Guard

--------------
"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go."
(Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart)
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm 
Hoo Raw.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm 
You are welcome and thank you for sending me on such a lovely vacation. You paid for my trips to japan, tawain, phillipines, Vietnam. I served in the Navy from 1966 until 1976 on board various ships and shore stations including a trip up the mekong delta in the brown water navy. I ended the tour on a sub tender with the ballistic missile fleet at Guam.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
You're welcome.  I served in the 3rd Infantry, the ceremonial unit in Washington, D.C. from 1972-75.  Here's a much younger me attaining Sergeant, E-5.  Shout-out to all you other vets!  up.gif
Old Guard
Old Guard

Lucky break during vietnam?
schifferj

schifferj

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 pm 
“War is young men dying and old men talking”

― Franklin D. Roosevelt

I always heard it as War is young men dying for old men's politics. That said, I began my Air Force career in December 1969 as a pilot. I retired 20 years later. I'm grateful for every man and woman who served in the military in whatever capacity whether that was as a Cobra gunship pilot in the skies of Vietnam or a young PFC slinging hash in a chow hall at Lackland AFB TX. With that thought in mind I was rather offended by this comment: 
Pahoehoe wrote:

regarding a young man's honorable service at a time when the Vietnam conflict was essentially over.
catsp

catsp

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 pm 
nordique wrote:
Ceremonial unit?  I somehow missed out on serving in such a unit during my time as a draftee from 1966 to 1968

This is probably unintentionally disrespectful and dismissive. Maybe a quick edit is in order?
schifferj

schifferj

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 pm 
catsp wrote:
nordique wrote:
Ceremonial unit?  I somehow missed out on serving in such a unit during my time as a draftee from 1966 to 1968

This is probably unintentionally disrespectful and dismissive. Maybe a quick edit is in order?

This one didn't strike me as unintentional and I found it rather offensive not only to the person at which it was directed but also to me, a veteran. 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 am 
schifferj wrote:
catsp wrote:
nordique wrote:

This one didn't strike me as unintentional and I found it rather offensive not only to the person at which it was directed but also to me, a veteran.

Just pointing out a possible misunderstanding - I think that Get Out and Go used the phrase in this thread originally (in addition, to describe their own service so there may be some leeway afforded there? I didn't get the impression that Nordique was trying to put down the 3rd Infantry, but maybe asking for more details or information?).
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Thank You Veterans
  Happy Birthday Otter, CampChamp, Wolfman!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: