Forum Index > Trip Reports > White on Red - the little mountain with a big wallup! 12/4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 9:13 pm 
Summithound and boarder Ben, allowed me to join them for a trip up Red Mountain. I never thought it would be so hard! We were at the trailhead at 7AM and started hiking up the new PCT. Summithound wanted more of a workout than offered by going up the Commonwealth Basin directly. He wasn't disappointed. 1 mile up the trail and all signs of snowshoe traffic disappeared. The snowshoes came off our backs and the postholing began. I was pretty tired by the time we reached the saddle.
Ben hoofing it up to Red ( in the background right)
Ben hoofing it up to Red ( in the background right)
Summithound
Summithound
After looking at the mountain we decided to head up the ridge to avoid any avalanche danger. There appeared to be a thick crusty layer that kept sloughing down. That decision lead us straight up the steep and the deep stuff. rant.gif Snowshoes were not working so Ben opted to try kick stepping in just his boots. It was not any worse, at least. It made him feel safer since he did not have an ice ax. First it was deep snow, then icey rock, then hip drops into tree wells. stuck.gif It took almost 2 hours to go up the last 800 ft, but we made it! hockeygrin.gif
Ben de-skinning his new split board
Ben de-skinning his new split board
Snoqualmie ski area far below
Snoqualmie ski area far below
Summit shot
Summit shot
Does anyone know that black peak?
There was only one other summiter this day, a guy who skinned his way up passing us along the way. His partners were behind me, and it was questionable as to whether they would make the summit. They had removed their skis and joined us postholers. We spent no time on top because the wind was trying to blow the mountain down into our faces!
This shot tells it all.  Wind blowen snow on the summit but does Ben care?
This shot tells it all. Wind blowen snow on the summit but does Ben care?
Ben wasted no time removing his skins from his new split board, leaving me to figure out how to best transport myself back down the mountain... Too deep for plunge stepping...too deep for glissading. I finally settled on a unique body surfing, laying on my side ( so my pack wouldn't slow me down ) and bicycling my legs so I would traverse on the descent. NOT a pretty site, but very effective under the conditions! There was Ben, waiting for me! Sure hope he did not see that descent! wink.gif On the way back, our newly made trail had become a freeway! How did that happen? :confused:Where were the people? Not on the summit. lol.gif We took the Commonwealth Basin direct route back to the trailhead.
Wet lense effect  Commonwealth Basin
Wet lense effect Commonwealth Basin
A workout I never expected. A nice trench to the saddle now. Good luck the rest of the way to the top, until the snow consolidates. embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 10:53 pm 
up.gif for the effort!

veronika

veronika
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 pm 
Great job! up.gif Looks like you had alot of fun despite the workout. You are going to have to show me that unique descent one day. hockeygrin.gif I wish I coulda made it! I was already out on the the trail. mad.gif Maybe next time.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
fatoldman

fatoldman
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 am 
Pretty sure that black peak is Thompson. My only ascent of Red way back in 1979 was in similar conditions. Nothing like thigh-deep powder on a 40 deg ridge. It took forever, but what a great view.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 am 
Rainie Too! wrote:
Thompson. I have a blurry cellphone pic from Red near the bottom of this trip report.
Looking back at Thompson from Uncle Red's house. Time to call it a day and head for home.
Looking back at Thompson from Uncle Red's house. Time to call it a day and head for home.
FWIW -- Thompson (Thomson on the map) is a fun scramble. Two thumbs up. up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 1:22 pm 
Thanks everyone. Guess Thompson gets added to my list. doh.gif