Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kelcema Lake 12/4/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 pm 
This 8-10 mile round trip snow trail starts from the beginning of Deer Creek Road off of the Mountain Loop Highway past Granite Falls. I got there at 8am and start walking up on a thin layer of snow and ice. The snow got noticably deeper around the first mining road (blue gate off to the left) and was about 2-3 feet all the way to the lake. But, the snow was hard and I only sunk through the first three inches of dry powder. The trail itself is only about a half mile long. I got to the lake around 11am. I tried to take a picture of the lake, but my fresh batteries kept dying. I looked at the tempature which said 25 degrees (even though it didn't feel like it at the time). After walking around a little and sitting down for lunch, it started to feel like 25 degrees. Three guys followed my tracks to get to the lake. Other than those three, I saw 5 other people coming up the road while I was going down. While going down, I thought to put my cold batteries in my pocket next to my body to warm them up. It worked! At least, long enough to get a few shots in before they got cold again. I got down around 3pm. At the beginning of the road, there were a group of guys cutting up some fallen trees for firewood.
Deer Creek Road Gate
Deer Creek Road Gate
Snow blowing off Long Mountain
Snow blowing off Long Mountain
Twinkling snow
Twinkling snow
Snowy Kelcema Lake trailhead
Snowy Kelcema Lake trailhead
Kelcema Lake
Kelcema Lake
Icicle Lineup
Icicle Lineup
backlit trees
backlit trees
backlit mossy tree
backlit mossy tree

Wherever the trail takes me.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 pm 
Thanks for the TR. I need to get back to Long Peak sometime this winter. Wish I could take advantage of your trail breaking. Love the sparkle snow shot. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message