Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 6:45 pm 
BTW Josh, I love that song! smile.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 am 
Nice photos, Matt. A number of relatively famous people (and also me) have made the same mistake - leaving the snowshoes behind because the snow was firm or crusty low down, and then finding it much softer higher up. Example: Wallowing on Loomis after leaving snowshoes lower down. At this point, there was no longer a crust to support us, and we were postholing up to our waists in spots. Some of the more prepared people in our group had the foresight to bring along snowshoes, while others (I won't name any names) were forced to boot it after leaving their snowshoes behind.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 am 
Matt wrote:
Nice photos, Matt. A number of relatively famous people (and also me) have made the same mistake - leaving the snowshoes behind because the snow was firm or crusty low down, and then finding it much softer higher up. Example: Wallowing on Loomis after leaving snowshoes lower down. At this point, there was no longer a crust to support us, and we were postholing up to our waists in spots. Some of the more prepared people in our group had the foresight to bring along snowshoes, while others (I won't name any names) were forced to boot it after leaving their snowshoes behind.
Just clarifying... I don't have showshoes embarassedlaugh.gif And by the time Josh ditched his we had already been in loose powder for over a mile smile.gif BTW, Thanks for commenting on my photos up.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 am 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Matt wrote:
Just clarifying... I don't have showshoes embarassedlaugh.gif And by the time Josh ditched his we had already been in loose powder for over a mile smile.gif BTW, Thanks for commenting on my photos up.gif
Arrowhead is notorius for doing that to people. Luckily I did not fall for it. Matt if you ever want or need snowshoes. Send a post out. Other people might let you borrow theirs. Good luck and keep kicking butt this winter.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 29, 2010 5:05 pm 
Hey Greg I was speaking to Joanna about the time you did it with her and she said that the weather was better this time. But it was a the rush than made it difficult. wink.gif
RokIzGud wrote:
It's always good to get to push yourself in preferable conditions. Since you seem to like pain and misery (another example: Glacier Peak twice in a week) you should consider adventure racing up.gif up.gif
Suffering should be my middle name! lol.gif Anyways reminds me of what Matt said, there should be glissade races.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 12:29 am 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Here's the photos I got from the trip on Arrowhead. Hope you enjoy them! smile.gif
Different perspective of the long icicles
Different perspective of the long icicles
In the forest
In the forest
Cresting the east ridge
Cresting the east ridge
The path taken
The path taken
A winter wonderland
A winter wonderland
View around treeline
View around treeline
The clouds slightly receding
The clouds slightly receding
A train on the way out
A train on the way out
Holly...so cute
Holly...so cute
A train on the way back
A train on the way back
Question for anyone with some photography knowledge... I was comparing my photos from this TR with Josh's and noticed how much darker mine are. Now I am someone who likes photos to appear darker when displayed on the computer screen but does anyone think these are too dark? I was trying to bring out the eerie feeling of the day and darkened them slightly. If I were to print them on photo paper I'd lighten them up. Just wondering... Thanks for any input.

fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Question for anyone with some photography knowledge... I was comparing my photos from this TR with Josh's and noticed how much darker mine are. Now I am someone who likes photos to appear darker when displayed on the computer screen but does anyone think these are too dark? I was trying to bring out the eerie feeling of the day and darkened them slightly. If I were to print them on photo paper I'd lighten them up. Just wondering... Thanks for any input.
It's a matter of personal preference really. I like to edit mine to make them as close as possible to what my eyes saw before I took the photo.

Climbing for Camp Erin - Zero to Everest | Facebook | Twitter
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 pm 
Yes, I do too but sometimes I may get a little carried away with decreasing the brightness...

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 8:36 pm 
Today I had an amazing trip in the mountains. I'll probably have the story tomorrow. Adventure is never leaving my grasps these days. biggrin.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 pm 
Glad to hear you had fun! I'm off to Colorado tomorrow morning smile.gif confused.gif waah.gif bawl.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 pm 
We are going to miss you. Hope to see you this Summer! biggrin.gif wave.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 pm 
definently! I'll keep posting here about Colorado and Utah for the next long while

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm 
Well here's a preview:
Goodnight folks! And Happy New Year!

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 4:07 pm 
Why are you always so horrendously ill prepared? Eating snow is counter intuitive by the way.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 4:26 pm 
I was in a super hurry, when there is no time for drinking, you gotta do what you gotta do. I was pretty well prepared, I just need to get better gear. wink.gif