Forum Index > Trip Reports > Green Lake Trail, Carbon River entrance, MRNP - 12-27-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 8:54 am 
The Green Lake trail (Mount Rainier National Park) is about as messed up as a trail can get. Major blowdowns beginning about 1/2 mile up the trail - we turned around, something we rarely do. Karen
We turned around not far from this blowdown that completely obliterated the trail
We turned around not far from this blowdown that completely obliterated the trail

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 12:25 pm 
Wow I remember a couple last spring on that trail that were kind of a pain to get around but sheesh.. The men with saws will have their work cut out for them.... lol.gif

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
very cool picture. That tree is huge. Your hiking partner looks like Santa a little bit. Nothing like a post-Christmas hike in MRNP to get Santa back on track!

yorknl

yorknl
PostThu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 pm 
Quick question for Karen or anyone else who cares to answer.... Are entrance fees collected at the Carbon River entrance in the off-season (or any season, for that matter)? The MRNP site doesn't address specific entrances regarding fees, but since the Carbon road is closed at the the boundary and there really isn't much "entry" for a vehicle, I'm curious if there's any exemption or modification (such as only charging the $5 for a pedestrian instead of full freight for a vehicle). TIA-

dropkick

dropkick
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 8:16 am 
Its the normal $15. But you can buy a pass there, totally worth it. I believe they don't take CC's at the carbon entrance though, cash or check.

yorknl

yorknl
PostFri Dec 31, 2010 11:43 am 
Thanks, Dropkick.

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 7:40 pm 
I went for a walk up at the Carbon entrance today. It was explained to me that the entrance fee is $5.00/person, not to exceed $15.00 for a carload of people. (4 people in your car, only 3 pay the entrance fee).

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 9:04 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
I went for a walk up at the Carbon entrance today. It was explained to me that the entrance fee is $5.00/person, not to exceed $15.00 for a carload of people. (4 people in your car, only 3 pay the entrance fee).
According to the website.
Quote:
The entrance fee is $15 for a private, noncommercial vehicle or $5 for each visitor 16 and older entering by motorcycle, bicycle, horseback, on foot, or for individuals traveling together as a non-commercial, organized group. These fees provide the visitor with a 7-day entrance permit for Mount Rainier National Park.
I wonder if they consider the carbon entrance a drive in entrance since you can't really drive anywhere....?!