Forum Index > Trip Reports > Middle Fork Trail Dingford to Wildcat Creek (12-26-10)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostMon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 am 
After a late breakfast at Lil Jon’s in Bellevue, my 19 and 15 year old boys, our female chocolate lab Ellie, and I made an afternoon run up the Middle Fork Road for a hike on the Middle Fork Trail from Dingford Creek to Wildcat Creek. We arrive at the trailhead at 1PM to mixed snow/rainand only two other cars at the trailhead. I actually really enjoy driving the Middle Fork Road in the winter. Right now, it’s completely snow free all the way to the end. It’s actually in worse shape for the first 10 miles versus the last 8 miles (FYI- Dingford Creek trailhead is almost exactly 19 miles from I-90 exit 34). The Middle Fork Trail is in good shape (next to no snow at all) but we encountered several areas of major blow downs. In places there were 5-7 large trees strewn across the trail which made getting around them quite time consuming. Our lab Ellie insisted on swimming and fetching a stick at every accessible river spot. As a result we didn’t make it that far, turning around at Wildcat Creek (about 2-3 miles from Dingford). An earlier start and some food/water would ensure a really fun day hike to Goldmyer Hot Springs- another day. This is a great “lowland” hike with old growth forest and the sounds of the river to lift your spirits. A great day with the boys!
More pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9751986@N04/sets/72157625556015205/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 pm 
Nice pics and a great report. I love those lowland no snow hikes. I think Ill do that later in the week.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
bdrkayaker

bdrkayaker
PostMon Dec 27, 2010 7:16 pm 
up.gif So cool that the road is open to Dingford!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
The NW Explorers
trekking

The NW Explorers
trekking
PostMon Dec 27, 2010 11:52 pm 
beautiful river. i've never heard of this area. i need to check this one out.

Filmmakers and Outdoor Enthusiasts http//.www.theNWexplorers.com
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 12:59 am 
Good to know the road is open further than it's been. I must have missed that bit of news. Not having been there, it's not clear to me where you crossed the Middle Fork to get to WildCat Creek. Did you use the bridge at the cross hairs on this map link? If so, then is the end of the road well before Dingford Creek or did you walk back to get to the bridge?

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 8:23 am 
There is a bridge across the Mid Fork at Dingford Creek

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 28, 2010 12:59 pm 
jamesf wrote:
There is a bridge across the Mid Fork at Dingford Creek
Yes. There has been for many years. Now there is an new one at Goldmeyer as well.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
The NW Explorers
trekking

The NW Explorers
trekking
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 12:23 am 
i just got back from middle fork trail. i loved the hike and posted my review. 12.29.10 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988582

Filmmakers and Outdoor Enthusiasts http//.www.theNWexplorers.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 01, 2011 12:26 am 
The NW Explorers wrote:
i just got back from middle fork trail. i loved the hike and posted my review. 12.29.10 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988582
This was from Dingford creek east, you started hiking from the first bridge around the 12 mile mark on the Middlefork. Nice pics.