Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best campfire cooked meal????
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostThu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 am 
I've learned at least three new menus I want to try agree.gif ! The game hens sounds truly wonderful and will be on my list to try. Sometimes a little extra work and weight really makes for a memorable experience! Thinking about this reminded me of something I did a couple of years ago. 5 of us hiked from Newfound Gap in the middle of the Smokey Mountains along the AT to Fontana Dam, about 47 miles over 5 days in mid February. There was a winter storm warning out and it never got above 5 degrees with 40-50 mph winds at times and 18-20 inches of new snow. We stayed in the 3 sided AT trail shelters and were equipped to handle the temps and snow. We took in a full 5 pound pork tenderloin, 2 pounds of mushrooms and assorted cut veggies, spices and bullion cubes. We planned on skewering the pork loin over an open fire but found a piece of grill grate to cook it on. The shelter had an old stone fireplace and we had a small saw to cut dead and down firewood. Someone brought a 1 gallon billy pot so we made a fantastic vegetable stew and grilled the pork loin to perfection. We had 2 big french baguets and made huge pork sandwiches and had hot stew with them. 5 degrees, howling winds and hot grub! Unfortunately we didn't have anything but freeze dried after that but what a night!

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SCRUBS

SCRUBS
PostWed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am 
I`m with Captain Jack, now that is eating agree.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 pm 
My all time favorite is butterflied salmon, cooked Native American style. One of the guys in our group caught a salmon off Vancouver island by just casting from shore. After the requisite hootin' and hollerin', we split a piece of driftwood, wedged in cross pieces, used a piece of wire to hold the whole contraption together, then stuck it in the ground upwind from the fire. Damn that was good! You'd think it might turn out dry cooking that way, but the secret is to keep it just the right distance from the flame so it just gets enough heat to bake, but is never too close to the flame.

rasbo

rasbo
PostSat Mar 19, 2011 7:50 am 
I like to fry fresh caught trout on a rock,find a good rock that wont explode,clean it up and let the coals go to work heating it..season the trout with some s/p ..when the rock gets hot enough put some butter on it and drop your trout right down on it.Some cabbage quartered with butter and hot sauce rolled in foil tossed on the coals its great..The cabbage makes for fun conversation later LOL

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostSat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 am 
rasbo wrote:
I like to fry fresh caught trout on a rock,find a good rock that wont explode,clean it up and let the coals go to work heating it..season the trout with some s/p ..when the rock gets hot enough put some butter on it and drop your trout right down on it.Some cabbage quartered with butter and hot sauce rolled in foil tossed on the coals its great..The cabbage makes for fun conversation later LOL
There is a Japanese restaurant on 45th in Wallingford, Seattle that cooks fish like this but I cant remember the name for the life of me.

lady camper
back_2_basics

lady camper
back_2_basics
PostMon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 am 
Hi Vidalia. I once made a foldable homemade camp fire grate using that mesh type metal they sometimes use to reinforce poured cement. The spring-like steel mesh sides can be flattened out (folded) for easy storage in a backpack or car. I've even used it on top of campground grates to contain ashes from heading up into the trees. I hope this suggestion has been helpful smile.gif

Vidalia

Vidalia
PostTue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 am 
About 20 years ago some hiking buddies and I bought and prepared a sample of all the major freeze dried food we could find hoping that at least something in the lot would be palatable. We prepared a total of about 10-12 entrees according to the label instructions and then the 4 of us taste tested each one while it was hot and as it began to cool, writing down our evaluation notes. The best of the lot was rated a C- with little flavor but edible in a pinch. All the rest were rated D and F with some having definite chemical off tastes and most the chewing consistency of cardboard. Wow, have things changed! The offerings now would be rated solid B+ to A’s and for week long trips make sense as an option to cooking meals. I will never give up cooking entirely but last fall we spent 8 nights crossing the Sierras in Yosemite and had Mountain House every night with no complaints. For quick overnights or weekend hikes I still prefer to bring real food and cook it on site. Part of the fun of being in the woods is the aspect of preparing great food to eat but when weight is an issue and you would prefer not to spend time prepping and cleaning, freeze dried is a good alternative to consider. Vidalia

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
dr

dr
PostWed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 pm 
intothepuddin wrote:
rasbo wrote:
There is a Japanese restaurant on 45th in Wallingford, Seattle that cooks fish like this but I cant remember the name for the life of me.
The Diamond Knot brewery in Muklteo dose that with steak, just bring it out raw on a hot rock and you use veggies and sauce to cool it if it is cooking to fast. I've never got fish there but probably the same.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 am 
Lobster, salmon and garlic bread. Cooked during my trip to redwoods last summer

Voxer

Voxer
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:32 am 
I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some interesting observations that I want to share. We often pre-cook the meat for the hobo dinners on our grill grate like this and I also like to use loose ground beef rather than a patty, so it's more of a Hash than a chunk of meat with potatoes on the side. I also started using frozen hash browns instead of raw potatoes...so my hobo is done FAR faster than the guys using raw ingredients. But then one of the scout leaders started doing his hobo using a tortilla shell wrapped around some cheese, peppers and tomatoes...The Hobo Quesadilla. That was a fast one as well. I and a crew did food for 240 people on an outdoor thing using camp chef type cookers and dutch ovens...we precooked all the meat, and did sausage, hashrowns and egg burritos for breakfast, pulled pork and dutch oven potatoes for one dinner, and "build your own hobo" dinners for another, you could choose from various veggies to put in with the meat and spuds. It was funny how many of the adults were a little concerned by the cooked beef and hash browns for the hobos...but a LOT of them mentioned later that they were going to do it that way all the time, it's so fast, you don't have to burn anything to get the rest to finish, and no raw meat or crunchy potatoes.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm 
My Grandpa used to say "Hunger is the best cook" One of the most satisfying campfire meals I have ever had was just good spicy sausages heated on a stick, and some stone ground mustard. The delicious winter ale to wash it down didn't hurt either.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:11 pm 
dr wrote:
intothepuddin wrote:
rasbo wrote:
The Diamond Knot brewery in Muklteo dose that with steak, just bring it out raw on a hot rock and you use veggies and sauce to cool it if it is cooking to fast. I've never got fish there but probably the same.
Woah I had no idea this was a real culinary method!!!! I did this when i was drunk around the ragin' fire recently cause I just figured it'd work. Burnt my hand real bad touching the rock to see how hot it was though!!