Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jan 23, 2011 Mission Peak 6876' Ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 am 
For such a bitty trip I am almost embarrassed to post, but this is a very pretty area and was sunny when most of the Cascades were under clouds and some rain. After all, it was a Backcourt Peak I needed. And I have to admit that it took three tries to finally get to the top of Mission Peak! The first two times had incredible winds, frozen snow, and white out. It just didn’t seem worth it and thus bailed at the base of the final short north slope both prior times. We still had wind and frozen snow yesterday, but at least had sun! The trail from the parking lot to Clara Lake is heavily used by locals and walkable on well packed snow without floatation. Then we kept skinning up frozen snow through the interesting basalt slopes and cliffs to the final north slope. At a snow saddle a few hundred yards east of the highest summit we skied and booted the crest to the summit.
Clara Lake
Clara Lake
Where we're headed
Where we're headed
Frozen and runneled north slopes
Frozen and runneled north slopes
Distant Views
Distant Views
Icy skinning
Icy skinning
Nearing the top
Nearing the top
Beautiful basalt country
Beautiful basalt country
Fun ridge crest to summit
Fun ridge crest to summit
The wind was howling out of the west so we quickly got off the top. The final 20 feet had no snow so we put the skis back on and decended from there on the south side to the ski area to catch a groomer back to the car. At least we got out.
Skiing back to ski area
Skiing back to ski area
Southside's losing snow
Southside's losing snow
Scoping Mission's southside
Scoping Mission's southside
Wenatchee Mountain
Wenatchee Mountain
I gotta hand it to the snowshoers . They are typically way less finicky about snow conditions for the most part than the backcountry ski crowd. Saturday looked like a great day to do a peak scramble and I stayed home and watched college basketball…..Come on snow!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message