Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peak 4340 near Grandy Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 pm 
Peak 4340 is one of those peaks I found on a map and figured it would have some really nice views of Mt. Baker. Easy to get to, right off the Baker Lake road, and a good one to do in the winter. This peak is probably 100% logged with a maze of logging roads but the views from the top are worth the boring, same sized tree forest down below. With the forecast saying "clearing to the North" we headed North this morning. Jayden and Ryan joined me on this hike and we parked right off the Baker Lake road across from Grandy Lake. The gate was locked and we had a big road walk ahead of us. The road is in great shape, and it looks as if it's used by some with a key. We zig-zagged up the mountain, staying on the road the whole time. Looking at my map, I thought a portion would be off road but it wasn't. At 3000', we hit continuous snow but it was firm and we left our snowshoes back anyways. A couple of switchbacks later and Baker came into view. This is what we came here for!
a little tree amongst the moss
a little tree amongst the moss
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
We were close to the top and a steeper section got us there with great views in all directions. The Sisters Range, Baker to Shuksan, Blum to Bacon, Sauk and many more peaks to the East. We took a break and soaked in the sun and wonderful mountain views.
Jayden almost to the summit
Jayden almost to the summit
Baker to Shuksan
Baker to Shuksan
Twin Sisters Range
Twin Sisters Range
Jayden and Ryan at the summit
Jayden and Ryan at the summit
Shuksan
Shuksan
We headed back down and the boys enjoyed some glissading on a few steep hills. A few good slides down and they were ready to get going. Even in the bright sun, the snow stayed mostly firm because it was so cold out. We kept moving and stayed warm.
the boys going down the hill
the boys going down the hill
the boys with Baker behind them
the boys with Baker behind them
soft looking snow
soft looking snow
This was one of those random, point on the map and go to peaks. This one was worth it with those great views, I'm not always that lucky with my picks. 12 miles 3500' elevation gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostThu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm 
what a blast .. can i play too? biggrin.gif btw .. the views you got are to die for ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Beatpacker

Beatpacker
PostThu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 pm 
Good trip! Not very well known, this peak we called Red Rock from an old Metsker map name though I have no idea how that name came about. Dallas called it this in his Snowshoe ascents booklet after we did it & I haven't been back since. Could be worth a repeat someday...

The name beatpacker comes from a dear friend who mixed up her words one day and instead of calling me a peakbagger ,beatpacker came out!