Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jan 30, 2011 Not-So-Sekrit Summit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Jan 31, 2011 7:52 am 
Jake and I headed up to Snoqualmie yesterday to find some of the new snow. I always love this scenic approach to a common summit in the Pass area.
Ummm...next time
Ummm...next time
The scenic approach
The scenic approach
Breaking out
Breaking out
Attaining a saddle
Attaining a saddle
Destination ahead
Destination ahead
Almost there
Almost there
About to fog up
About to fog up
Strip 'em
Strip 'em
Names have been changed and locations undisclosed to preserve the privacy of unskied lines and selfish skiers. We skied a couple runs on west facing slopes. From the top we found a couple hundred vertical feet of wind scoured bullet proof ice between rime covered rocks. Below 5500 feet things improved. Wind scouring on the upper slopes still limited the new snow accumulation to 5 inches or less of wetter powder. This lay on top of a few inches of large grained, very wet rounds. All this lay on top of the firm crust. Skiing was quite nice through this, often floating above the crust. The rightside up profile of the snow on the crust had bonded quite well as compared to observations from Saturday. From 4500 to 3500 the crust gradually lost strength and the depth of the newer overlying layers shrank. Still turnable.
Ah..Jake wills the fog clear
Ah..Jake wills the fog clear
Another run
Another run
Carving
Carving
Quick, before it fogs in
Quick, before it fogs in
W slopes
W slopes
We had lots of fog all day and the sun never came out to directly effect the snowpack. Several times we had to wait out the fog to get visibility to ski. Where was the afternoon clearing? It did seem warmer than predicted, near freezing or slightly below at all altitudes. Wish I could get out Monday to see how this snowpack reacted to a cold night. Don't think a crust will form and maybe it dried out even a bit. Creeks everywhere seem to have lost the normal snowbridges after the big rains.
Does this go?
Does this go?
What...no more snow bridge?
What...no more snow bridge?
Creek crossing
Creek crossing
awkward!
awkward!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message