Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gorgeous Day on Mount Ann
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
Trip Stats: Distance: About 10 Miles Round Trip Elevation Gain: 3,400 feet? (It felt like more to me) Date: February 2, 2011 Trip Time: About 9 Hours I've always loved the North Cascades and have seen a lot of beautiful places in the many times I have visited the mountains, but this time I saw something new. Mount Shuksan presented itself in way I had not quite seen before with any other mountain. Not even the photos do the full justice with how beautiful Mount Shuksan was, my friend Gimpilator tells me it's one of the most photographed mountains. I now understand why.
Through out the week Joanna and I tried to figure out a place to go (road washouts and long distances made trip planning harder), and finally the idea came about for Mount Ann. Certainly a great choice. Joanna once again picked me up from my house at 5:50 a.m. for the trip which we reach the trail head by 9 p.m. On the way it started out clear but as time progressed clouds came in.
The views from the parking lot alone were very nice, I would have been satisfied with only being this far, but around the corner was more beauty than I had anticipated. Starting off was nice and easy which we went over the pass and down the valley. As usual Holly was biting on Joanna's boot/ankle, but that's her job after all.
It was so nice not being at school (I cleared it with school which this was the best day to be out) and besides with the bad weather heading in the weekend is bound to be terrible weather. As we look at the mountain we try to decide which way we want to go up, I did not like the looks of the cornice on Mount Annet. XDiablox and I saw people way up on Mount Ann which we then figured the center was our best approach up.
Eventually we get to an interesting creek where it's a bit deep below the snow banks, but fortunately we find a nice snow bridge which made crossing easier. We then headed on through some trees and then were at the basin of Mount Ann. Joanna had something in her boot which she took off her snowshoes and walked around no problem without them, so we all decide to take ours off. Sure enough a few minutes later we end up putting them back on. As we walked along we came across a group of nwhikers which most of them greeted me.
We then ascended up the slope which once again it was time to take off the snow shoes due to snow over ice. It started to feel like a game how many times I swapped, but fortunately no frozen straps so it was not big deal. As we went up a cornice avalanche broke off below Mount Annet which I was thankful we were not below that area. I almost photographed it but was so amazed by it that I some how could not. Looking over at Mount Shuksan had me impressed as well as the mountain atmosphere we were in. I was actually glad that it was not a perfectly clear day. I could have sat down and stared at the mountains for hours without getting even a little bit bored.
Later on when reaching the cornice between Ann and Annet Joanna was tired out from her sickness. She could have made it but did not want us loosing too much time so she stayed back. With it now being late in the day I now was the only one who would be able to summit Mount Ann. I then headed down the cornice and dashed to the summit. Looking behind me Shuksan was looking better than ever, I had to wipe off some snow from the camera which had me a little frustrated. But I manged to pull off a few photos.
From here on out if I wanted the summit, I would have to set photography to the side, but I couldn't help but look over at how beautiful the scenery was. On the last section it was a little steep so I had to once again take off my snow shoes and charge up the slope. I felt so excited in this place, I wished that someone else could have been with me when I reached the summit. At the top I took a few quick drinks, saw that it was getting late and hurried back down.
I hurried back down the steep section and then back on the ridge, I could see they already left, so now I had to make even more haste than before. But at the same time it was fun running along the ridge, especially in a place like this. As I caught a glimpse of Joanna, I yelled to her which I heard her talking with XDiablox which even though she had a quiet voice the place echoed voices so well I could hear light talking from far away. I then dashed on over and then up Mount Annet. Before I started all this running most of the day I felt perfectly fine, but this got me all tired out. At the summit I had to give the Picket Range a last look before heading down.
There were a few decent glissades I got on the way down which we made it down the mountain in decent time, it was after this though that time slowly slowed down. I gave a last solute to Mount Ann as we walked though the valley. The bad thing about solid snow on the way back is having to press more pressure on your right foot due to the slope (this problem did not exist with the opposite boot on the way in).
As we got towards the pass it was almost dark and I was getting tired which it amazed me how much harder by this point it was just to go over a little pass. After the pass even going to the parking lot felt like a long ways when in the beginning going up hill was no problem. I guess thats what a day in the mountains and having to run up another mountain does to you. This was a really cool trip with some amazing scenery, hope to do something like this soon!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm 
Flow wrote:
Joanna once again picked me up from my house at 5:50 a.m. for the trip which we reach the trail head by 9 p.m.
Wow, that's a long drive. clown.gif Nice pics, as always. smile.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 pm 
It's a ways out there, but certainly worth the distance! up.gif up.gif As for the photos, I added a bunch more. Appreciate your comment. smile.gif

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 5:53 pm 
Sick pictures! Right on up.gif up.gif

North by Northwest
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm 
Looks like a beautiful day out. Thanks for posting the TR and pics!.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm 
Great TR and pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif I wish I was on that trip. bawl.gif I love that region of the Cascades!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm 
One of these days Eastking you should really join up on a trip up North, and do something big! biggrin.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm 
Nice pics Josh. Any idea on time to/from summit/car? I was hoping that Franklin would post his like iron said he would but it's almost as if he didn't see the thread.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 pm 
If I did not work 7 days a week I would be up there all the time!!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 pm 
Thanks, I now added the trip stats. It was about 9 hours out, the fact that I ran from one summit to the other, and ran up the first one is what made me feel tired for later on.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 pm 
Nice perspective in this one Josh up.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:46 pm 
Great TR. I think I should head north this summer instead of sticking around the ALW.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
veronika

veronika
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm 
Great shots Josh! up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm 
Yes, very nice pics! up.gif Looks like some winter month calendar possibilities to me.

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 1:02 am 
Nice shots and congrats on a big day. Did you start using a new post-processing app? I see red, yellow and purple tints that I haven't noticed in your photos before. And what made the bottom of that crevasse glow, I wonder. I have no problem with manipulating photos, but you start out with such good ones you don't usually need it.