Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stonewall Pk., Cuyamaca Rancho S.P. 02.06.11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm 
Today I decided to do a solo hike up Stonewall Pk., something I've had my eye on ever since I saw it last May when visiting the area. I figured it was a good day to do a potentially popular hike as a lot of peeps would be sitting on their couches watching the Superbowl. agree.gif I left the house around 8:00, stopped for gas, & was on the 8 in no time. Then I took the 79 north to the trailhead. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to park or if there was a fee, so asked the ranger @ the booth of the entrance to Paso Picacho CG across the way. She told me I could park in the campground day use area for $8, or go back down the rd. about 1.5 mi. or so & park for free @ a different trailhead. Hmm, tough decision. clown.gif Opting to add another couple mi. onto my hike, I drove back down 79 to connect with the Cold Stream trail. This trail more or less paralleled the hwy. along sometimes waterlogged terrain until it met with the Stonewall Pk. trail.
TH
TH
Stonewall Pk.
Stonewall Pk.
Dead tree
Dead tree
Gettin' closer to Stonewall Pk.
Gettin' closer to Stonewall Pk.
That's good to know
That's good to know
Uh oh, what does this mean?? :paranoid:
Uh oh, what does this mean?? paranoid.gif
Where I just came from
Where I just came from
The main trail was pretty wide with an easy incline up switchbacks all the way to the top. Much of the trail had a fence along it, not sure why. confused.gif The last bit was a walk up bedrock with a railing for assistance. dizzy.gif
There was a hungry squirrel @ the summit too, but I didn't feed him anything. wink.gif
Curious, hungry squirrel
Curious, hungry squirrel
It was windy & therefore chilly @ the top, so I didn't hang out long.
Heading down
Heading down
Dead tree
Dead tree
Bye-bye Stonewall
Bye-bye Stonewall
Bye!
Bye!
The trip down was uneventful, & I was back home by mid-afternoon. smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 pm 
Very nice! Cool pointy peaklet! up.gif cool.gif

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
daffish

daffish
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 pm 
Ah, Stonewall Peak! Your pictures bring back memories. That mighty mountain is the first one I ever 'climbed'. During my sixth grade, sometime way, way, way back in the 1960's, we had a week long 'camp' at Cuyamaca and went up to the top. Cuyamaca has several minor peaks that are easy off-trail walk ups and the whole area is great to ramble around and explore in the remoter areas of the park. A lot of indian 'metates' (acorn grinding holes in bedrock) are located all over. P.S. watch out for rattlesnakes!

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
Thanks for the heads up. Yep, definitely watching for those rattlesnakes! paranoid.gif Haven't seen any yet, but plenty of lizards. wub.gif Good to know there are other little pks. nearby. up.gif I'm sure I'll be doing lots of exploring in the coming mos.! cool.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.