Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Peak (American Ridge); February 5, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 pm 
Men: JK, zeusdaddy, GeoTom Dawg Pack: Zeus, Athena and Jasper Access: Highway 410 > Trailhead at Hells Crossing near MP 83 Maps: Green Trails Bumping Lake #271 Trails/Route: Goat Peak #958C (snow covered) then straight for the top on the north side Mileage: The GPS said 5.5 Elevation Gain: ~3,300' Photos: flickr set (many included below) My version of events Dani, Jasper and I had been up Goat Peak a few times during the late spring to early fall time frame, but had never tried it in the winter. Since we were already at the cabin I thought it would be a good trip with decent views if the weather cooperated. JK and Zeusdaddy agreed to go, and we brought the big dogs with us. Wellie decided to stay at the cabin with the wimmens and protect them from dragons, electric eels, unicorns and whatever else might be lurking in the woods. Besides, he needed a break from Jasper. We left the cabin at 11:15-ish, kind of an anti-alpine start. The trailhead parking area was a sheet of ice, but we managed to get onto the snow and start up the trail at 11:30-ish. Immediately we stopped to put on microspikes/yak-trax before continuing. A shallow snowshoe trench was visible and we were able to boot up it fairly quickly. After the second creek crossing we decideed to leave the summer trail for a little while as it traversed below. It went ok, and we eventually rejoined the summer trail (fairly obvious though snow covered). In retrospect it may have been faster to simply stay on the trail, and we did just that on our descent later.
Heading up through the woods
Heading up through the woods
Fifes Ridge
Fifes Ridge
Fifes Peaks
Fifes Peaks
We reached the ridge ~4,800' and stopped for a short lunch break. Our progress was a little slower than anticipated, and we discussed a turnaround time. 3:00 (pm!) was agreed upon, and we continued on our ascent. Our pace picked up a bit on the ridge and at ~5,900' we arrived at where the summer trail traverses east before attaining American Ridge. The slopes above were steep, but looked doable. The trees blocked a clear view all the way to the top, but we decided to head straight up and see what happened.
Athena!
Athena!
Fifes Ridge through branches
Fifes Ridge through branches
JK on the ridge
JK on the ridge
Sunny skies on the ridge
Sunny skies on the ridge
JK found a good route through the trees and soon enough we could see the summit block. We stopped about 20 feet shy of the top to secure the dogs. Zeusdaddy went up first before returning, then JK and I went up. The views to the north and east were alright, but the clouds hid the views of Adams to the south and Rainier to the west. Still, a few closer in peaks were visible. It was already 3:00, but we figured the descent would go much quicker than the ascent so we squeezed out a few more minutes of rest, food, water and taking in the views before leaving the top a little before 3:30.
JK and Jasper at the crux move
JK and Jasper at the crux move
Athena spots the Goat
Athena spots the Goat
Z & A watch their dad ride the Goat
Z & A watch their dad ride the Goat
One more step...
One more step...
Mt. Aix hidden by clouds
Mt. Aix hidden by clouds
House Rock
House Rock
Old Scab Mountain
Old Scab Mountain
Goodbye Goat Peak
Goodbye Goat Peak
As expected, the descent went much faster, and we arrived at the waiting car at 5:10. A short drive back to the cabin and beer awaited, although I was instructed to chop more wood for the stove first. A few swings of the axe and we had enough wood for dinner and breakfast the next day. And my beer was still cold. drink.gif Thanks for a fun trip guys (and Athena). The traverse along American Ridge back to the cabin awaits for longer days and less snow.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 am 
I was just wondering the other day what this was like in the winter. thanks for posting!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 4:38 am 
It hurts just thinking about climbing Old Scab. Old Goat looks good though.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 8:18 am 
GeoTom wrote:
My version of events
Love the purple prose. up.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostTue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 am 
While you guys were ascending Goat the wimmens + Wellie went to hang out at the old Ski lodge in the warm sunshine. hockeygrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998