Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The ideal Man Cave, what should it have?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I inherited such a building when I bought this place. I need to de-man it.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:03 am 
Apparently treeswarper can't tell the difference between a garage, a barn, and a house. That doesn't surprise me. lol.gif And she has no idea what "metrosexual" means, either, by the context of her usage. And how "manly" is this friend who craves kitchen appliances? embarassedlaugh.gif Once again she shows that anyone who is even slightly different than her in any way is an object of derision. huh.gif

panachronic

panachronic
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am 
It's not so much what is in the man cave but what is NOT in the man cave, that would be women, unless they are there for just a quick visit.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 am 
Chubbyhubby's "Dave Cave" has an old twin bed, a full keyboard system with recording equipment scattered around. A counter full of camera stuff. Old electronic things he gets at auction and is dismantling for their various parts so he can build his own C&C cutting machine. (don't know what that is, exactly, but he's building one) He has his main computer. He has an old mainframe looking thing with no innards. It's heated by a wood stove and circulating fan. There's a dog bed and toys for the Dave Dog (named Finnigan). I'm not allowed in the Dave Cave unless I've been invited or some emergency is happening. He, in turn, has very limited access to my Jen Den. He also has a shop, with a fridge and all sorts of tools. That's more of a shared space -- I go in there to grab tools when I need to, and my pruning gear is stored there.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Lordy, what a bunch of metrosexual wimps! Out here, where men don't really need man caves (my friend truly hates the concept) they have "shops". A shop may range from a three sided carport to a 4000 sq. foot insulated monster. They may be heated or not. The classic sort of heater is a barrel stove--wood is burned in it. Inside, you will find parts and greasy stuff. A radio blaring out whatever station that the location allows. We only have 2 or 3 possibilities without satellite. There will be a chair or two or more. A refrigerator is an option. One manly friend told me "A man can never have too many refrigerators." Sinks are nice for cleaning fish in. Antlers are hung up outside and inside. Dogs are welcome. A cat will be tolerated if it keeps the mice under control. There may be a sleazy calendar, or a calendar with saws, guns or cars on it. Around this building will be "projects", usually a car or pickup that is being "fixed up." I inherited such a building when I bought this place. I need to paint the floor, I need to put some kind of surfacing on the shelves and counter tops, it needs windows. I need to de-man it.
Shop - Check wood heat - check two radio stations - check cars under repair - check car parts - check sink - check plus - power tools, electrical service for arc welding, calendars featuring airplanes, odds and ends of all sorts. I'm really fortunate and cannot even fathom the bad old days before I had the shop.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 am 
mancave = wife not allowed

Art is an adventure.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 am 
My man cave is open to all genders. biggrin.gif My GF hangs out in there fairly often, such as during the super bowl, when I was hogging up the living room (better TV, better speakers (cost $5,000 in 1992), and the only DVR box in the house). She also likes to work from home in there, due to the big desk and comfortable office chair. I do sometimes get a bit of a twinge when I go in there to talk with her, and she has Say Yes to the Dress (or similar) on the TV. It just feels wrong, somehow. shakehead.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:40 am 
Q: How does a real man open his beer? A: He doesn't. It should be open when she hands it to him lol.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am 
wow!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 12:40 pm 
panachronic wrote:
It's not so much what is in the man cave but what is NOT in the man cave, that would be women, unless they are there for just a quick visit.
Or they are the two back-up singers in the band...I've played in plenty of testosterone drenched guy-only bands, not nearly as pleasing as having beautiful girl voices. I have a 16 track recording studio and all the PA gear needed to put on a big outdoor festival - therefore I keep my hillbilly wealth in the garage- the leaking transmission, lawn mower blade, dead fridge, extra parts from the kitchen remodel that I did a decade or so ago and lots of tools stored in basically random order...No room for that junk in the man cave as that is where serious music occurs.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm 
Slugman wrote:
How about a leather couch, nice TV with an attractive cable package, good stereo for music or the TV, high speed internet with a new computer, exercise machine with all the options, hiking-themed paintings and artwork on the walls, lots of knick-nacks such as southwestern sand paintings, polished wood burls, dreamcatchers, floats and glass balls found at the beach, genuine steer horns, etc, plus a whole range of hiking gear of every type? And all decisions about the room made by an actual man? hmmm.gif I'd wish I had all that, except I already do. cool.gif cool.gif
I thought that sounded familiar. See the sluggy laptop thread... winksmile.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm 
BigSteve is onna roll! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Beer Volcano. Stripper Factory.
lol.gif up.gif up.gif

she hikes in beauty

she hikes in beauty
PostWed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm 
For Steve...

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 1:53 am 
I built my man cave, so I had a little more input than most. up.gif HD TV, nearby fridge, old comfortable furniture, so when you spill food your faithful companion (dog) has snacks. Dark carpeting to hide the dirt. 3 computers with duel LCD monitors, way too much radio gear, scanners-amateur. Lots a speakers with 8,000 mp3's to pick from. Bookshelves with way too many books. Several weather stations. Bird/Hummer feeders right outside the windows. Walls made of cedar covered with hiking/animal pictures. 100 year old rough cut beams. Woodstove to keep warm. Generator when the power goes out. Chainsaw near the door, with a pile of camping/hiking gear ready to go. Snowshoes, skis, poles,day packs, jackets, boots. Stick pins in the door holding up not so important things like bills. Jackalope on the wall watching the action. Antlers and deer skins on the wall. Ducks and various birds hanging/mounted. Many wooden animals, chickens, bears, moose. Covered BBQ area right outside the front door, so you can BBQ year round. Got to have that. Real men don't eat quiche.....smile.gif Several roll aways stocked with tools. Many hooks, nails, rope to hold and dry my gear. You have a true man cave when you drive a 10 inch spike into the wall and not worry about getting into trouble....... hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles