Forum Index > Trip Reports > Quartz 4641' Bessequartz 4481'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 1:05 am 
I have not been to Quartz yet, myself, but checking my maps as well as other online resources only the east peak labeled 4641' reaches the 4640'+ closed-contour threshold. It appears you did not reach the true summit, and the "Quartz Mountain" labeled peak is lower, based on that information. If accurate, this would not be the first time (or the last time) a peak is marked with its name on a map but actually having its highest point elsewhere on the same ridge. Perhaps people like considering the "Quartz Mountain" labeled peak because the "4641" peak is more difficult to reach?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 3:15 am 
Redwic, I think you're assuming a lot by looking at a topo and making inferences about what's higher. Have you been up there? Anyway, I don't care so much about the "true summit" as what the terrain was like, and I was getting a disconnect between previous trip reports and this one, and TypeE has cleared that up.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 am 
I mentioned that I had not been there, but I also mentioned that the maps show Point 4641 as the slightly higher point (with the "Quartz Mountain" labeled point in the 4600'-4640 range'). This wouldn't be the first time (or the last time) a map might be wrong. Also, I noticed the terrain disconnect between TRs, too, and I am glad Type E has cleared that up. up.gif

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 am 
I have heard this debate mentioned on other mountaineering sites. All the visual evidence suggests that Point 4061 is considerably lower. Supposedly this is another case of flawed topography. According to Eric Willhite, "most agree that if you are standing there, it is much higher than point 4641". I thoought I caught a glimpse of Point 4061 through the clouds and it looked about 50 feet lower. Eric's Photo of Point 4061

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 am 
Interesting, that looks like Yana's pic from our trip up Quartz/Bessequartz/4061 4061 is lower, but has better views by far.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Type E

Type E
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am 
I will do my best to lay this one to rest. The point we climbed was the true summit and is higher than 4641' . Maps aren't always accurate. I had this same issue when I thought I climbed Hard Knox thinking there was a mistake on the map since the point just to the west was clearly higher on the map. I went back with the gps years later and the accepted summit was higher despite what the maps have shown. E

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 am 
ditto.gif I noticed the same thing with Hard Knox, when I went there in 2009. agree.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 am 
like2thruhike wrote:
...waify youngsters...
HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!! biggrin.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 pm 
Sounds like a fun trip. If you enjoyed Quartz, you probably would also enjoy Green Mountain off the same Middle Fork Road. I still have to get to Quartz, but based on the descriptions, I'd say Green is a bit easier. You are on a trail long enough to avoid brush. And navigation is easy because you stay on a ridgeline once you leave the trail. Just an idea for your next outing.