Forum Index > Trip Reports > Breakfast at Welldiggers (2/5/11)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:26 pm 
Welldiggers Ass
Welldiggers Ass
Arrowhead and COmpany
Arrowhead and COmpany
Heading Up
Heading Up
I was checking the weather forecast and it looked like Saturday morning there was going to be a small break so I decided to capitalize on the situation and head over to Stevens Pass. I invited my speedster friend Gabe along and we were off to a an early morning hike in the mountain.
Morning in the mountains
Morning in the mountains
Looking north
Looking north
Morning light
Morning light
Once we left the trailhead by the Stevens Pass Ski Area overflow lot we on our way up the hard crusty snow. This snow was very compact and at times around 4000 feet it was nearly ice. Any hiking from 4000 feet to 5000 feet at least on this weekend will probably require traction devices. The good thing was though there was very little in the way of postholing until we hit the ridgeline at 5000 feet. From there we took off our microspikes and put on the snowshoes and headed up through the burned out are to the summit of Welldiggers Ass.
Burnt woods
Burnt woods
Killer Tree!!!!:O
Killer Tree!!!!:O
Sunlight only a couple miles away
Sunlight only a couple miles away
EastKing (keeps shirt on to hide the extra weight)
EastKing (keeps shirt on to hide the extra weight)
Gabe throwing to Arrowhead
Gabe throwing to Arrowhead
Arrowhead and COmpany
Arrowhead and COmpany
Though there was very little in the way of views on the absolute summit there were plenty of great views on the way up to the north and excellent views on the eastern side of the summit ridge towards the Chiwaukums, Arrowhead and many, many others.
Heading down
Heading down
Snowy woods
Snowy woods
A views
A views
Going down was uneventful except the weather was beginning to change as we were heading back. Overall this mountain is a great choice in a medium to higher avalanche days because there is very little chance of a person running into a situation here. All the slopes are either forested or below 10% grade if you take the proper route to the summit. I would highly recommend Welldiggers to a beginning snowshoe group.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:40 pm 
I almost never use this emoticon, but this is a perfect time. Welldiggers moon.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Wish I could have came but I had something important I had to take care of. Looks like you had a good time.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 pm 
EastKing wrote:
I would highly recommend Welldiggers to a beginning snowshoe group. The trip up has the views and true hike feelings but without the heavy fear of avalanche danger.
Hmmm....not always safe: Yodelin Avalanche

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:47 pm 
Well, safer than most peaks in the area. wink.gif How often do you hear of Steven's Pass closing due to high avalanche danger? (Ok maybe it happens every now and then, but in those conditions that's when you stay out of the mountains).

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 7:01 pm 
dicey wrote:
EastKing wrote:
I would highly recommend Welldiggers to a beginning snowshoe group. The trip up has the views and true hike feelings but without the heavy fear of avalanche danger.
Good point dicey. I am glad you caught me here. Personally if the Avy danger is a 4 or 5 no one showed be in the mountains period. Pick a dive and head for higher ground on a later date. I have changed that statement in the TR. This peak is far safer than many others in the Stevens Pass area including Cowboy Mountain, Big Chief, Tye Peak and Sky Mountain. With Stevens Pass receiving nearly 500 inches of typically wetter snow yearly, avalanche danger is always a great concern. One should not be lured into a false sense of security like my initial statement said.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
No worries wink.gif Just thought I would throw in some interesting history, didn't mean to jack your TR. As a safety measure, I never assume that people reading TR's have any common sense, so I would never say anything is 100% safe 100% of the time. (Not that you did) Nice pics, btw.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 8:53 pm 
I loved this gladiator movie. up.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I loved this gladiator movie. up.gif
Funny thing is he missed Arrowhead and hit Middle Chiwaukum instead!!! lol.gif lol.gif Speaking of Middle Chiwaukum, Gabe just volunteered for trailbreaker on it!!! He needs to find that trekking pole!! lol.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 pm 
On the minus side: You didn't invite me. shakehead.gif On the plus side: I had great tracks to follow to the summit, today. wink.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Redwic wrote:
On the minus side: You didn't invite me. shakehead.gif On the plus side: I had great tracks to follow to the summit, today. wink.gif
Oh no, I knew I forgot something! Sorry, it was a last minute decision (weather and work) but you are invited on the next adventure which will be next Saturday and Sunday (unless you can get out of work next Thursday). Thank Gabe on the trailbreaking! agree.gif

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 11:28 pm 
EastKing wrote:
dicey wrote:
EastKing wrote:
Good point dicey. I am glad you caught me here. Personally if the Avy danger is a 4 or 5 no one showed be in the mountains period. Pick a dive and head for higher ground on a later date. I have changed that statement in the TR. This peak is far safer than many others in the Stevens Pass area including Cowboy Mountain, Big Chief, Tye Peak and Sky Mountain. With Stevens Pass receiving nearly 500 inches of typically wetter snow yearly, avalanche danger is always a great concern. One should not be lured into a false sense of security like my initial statement said.
The Yodelin avalanches that killed the people in 1971 were on the other side of highway 2 at the development, specifically, off the north side of pt. 5322. There are several chutes in that area that go almost every year, although the avy that caused the fatalities was a small one (only a couple hundred feet) that started at the PCT and was not in one of the chutes. There were also avys off the south side of Lichtenberg that destroyed unoccupied cabins. The area was much less treed at that time. There are no chutes on the north side of welldigger, where the Yodelin ski area was, and I have never seen an avy there (in 17 years). That said, obviously it is not absolutely safe in high avy conditions.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 am 
EastKing wrote:
Redwic wrote:
Oh no, I knew I forgot something! Sorry, it was a last minute decision (weather and work) but you are invited on the next adventure which will be next Saturday and Sunday (unless you can get out of work next Thursday). Thank Gabe on the trailbreaking! agree.gif
I was just teasing, buddy! Except for the "great tracks to follow" comment... I really did appreciate that, as I never once needed to whip out my snowshoes. up.gif ------------ And "CC" is correct. The only past Yodelin avalanches I am aware of occurred on the other (north/west) sides of Highway 2. I wouldn't consider the northern slopes of W.A. as high avalanche terrain, but the same could not be said for the southern slopes of the peak. Fortunately, those southern slopes are not necessary to reach the summit.

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm 
Breakfast @ Welldiggers Ass? WOW! You should open up a little breakfast diner and name it that... Probably do pretty good. By the way, what was for breakfast? Way to find a window in the weather! smile.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm 
beaudaddy wrote:
Breakfast @ Welldiggers Ass? WOW! You should open up a little breakfast diner and name it that... Probably do pretty good. By the way, what was for breakfast? Way to find a window in the weather! smile.gif
Cow chips were my breakfast food! lol.gif Just kidding! It was three turkey sandwiches. I think that would be a cool diner name and thought it made a catchy title for this TR! up.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Feb 07, 2011 10:19 pm 
Are you sure it wasn't Rocky Mountain Oysters? paranoid.gif