Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New drilling method opens vast oil fields in US
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 pm 
What I don't get about the activists on this issue is only NOW are folks getting up in arms about it? Wells have been fracked, both fresh water, oil, and natural gas for the last 60 years. If it was such a horrible problem we would have seen contaminated water aquifers LONG before now. I can only conclude that those who are against fracking are only doing so because of oil/NG production leading to carbon dioxide pollution into the atmosphere warming the planet and has little or nothing to do with the actual fracking process. They are just making a hullabaloo about the "process", just because they can try using it as a prybar to STOP oil/NG production. Of course these same people also decry our military budget(middle east etc) and are against new nuclear power plants that will eat their own waste and the stockpiled waste. Same for Coal(worst of the bunch IMO). Sorry, but solar/wind is not a viable base load solution at the moment. Simple math shows it is not. Part of the solution currently? Yes. No energy storage solution = not a solution at all. In short I just tune out these scientific illiterates on the subject of fracking and energy production. I don't see them taking their house off the grid and going all solar/wind. Last I checked, they are all still hopping on airplanes and driving cars. Lets stop the hypocrisy eh? Lets push R&D for energy storage. Only then can we address the carbon dioxide issue. Until then, it is a bad joke.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
I don't see them taking their house off the grid and going all solar/wind. Last I checked, they are all still hopping on airplanes and driving cars.
Depends on which circles you run in... I know folks that have chosen to live carless and eschew flying.
spamfoote wrote:
In short I just tune out these scientific illiterates on the subject of fracking and energy production
Not listening - what a great way to develop a deeper understanding of a subject. I think fracking can and has caused problems with water pollution in some areas where the gas and oil bearing rock is close to the surface. OTH Many of the shale oil deposits in North Dakota lie 15,000 ft below the surface -- posing a low risk of water table pollution. So fracking can be bad or it can be OK depending on the details of the site to be developed. Painting it always good or always bad is typical of today's politics -- as always, the truth is more complicated.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 pm 
Shellenberger makes the very good point that providing the vast amounts of energy we consume is always going to have environmental impacts; the question is, how do we manage those impacts. Even when everything goes well, coal still kills ~13,000 people in the US every year. A good thing to keep in mind when considering alternatives. I've just recently gotten interested in the energy issue and I've been struck by two things: 1) how hopeless it is to think that 'renewables' are going to solve our energy needs anytime soon, and 2) the vast number of people who believe just the opposite.

John
AR

AR
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 pm 
A few airplanes were shoved square up our asses for oil. Now we own the majority of oil out there. We even sell it off. May Hell be brought to them.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 8:26 pm 
It is the well casings that leak. Well casings have always leaked. Nothing new there. The shallower they are, the more likely they are to leak. Not the fracking process is to blame. Has been used for 60 years. Most fracking uses nothing more than a light oil and water as the viscous fluid. A few have started using other chemicals and these are the wells getting the publicity. The number of wells actually using these exotic chemicals is few. Its not Fracking that is the problem. It is leaking well casings. Leaking well casings can allow these few wells with exotic chemicals to leak back up. Well casings(lack of inspection protocols by and large(Uh, how do you inspect something 3000 feet down? and instead rely on drilling practices)) combined with a few wells using exotic fluids to lower the viscosity of the fluid increasing their efficiency for pressure distribution into the rock and breaking it. So naturally all the ignoramouses out there are going with "fracking" ban petitions. Why? The word sounds like a certain other "F" word and provides a nice rallying cry for the ignorant masses to get behind. Even though the problem is not fracking at all. That is why I don't bother to listen to the ignoramous's in regards to fracking. The idiots are going after the wrong aspect. Those that do know, are pumping the problem child as "fracking" for other reasons. As a single word, "FRACKING", is a much easier point to get across as a problem(even though they all know it is not), instead of, leaking well casings and exotic fluids that can leak back to the surface from a leaking well casing. 1 Word verses whole sentences. All about PR. Nothing to do with science or facts. Makes it oh so much easier for billboards, pamphlets, headlines, etc. So, to drain the bathwater, they are throwing out the baby all because of marketing for the ignorant masses to support them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 9:32 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
....Makes it oh so much easier for billboards, pamphlets, headlines, etc. So, to drain the bathwater, they are throwing out the baby all because of marketing for the ignorant masses to support them.
Boo Hoo, poor little Exxon, British Petroleum , etc -- they might have to spend some of their earnings on a media and lobbying campaign to get "fair" treatment.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
spamfoote wrote:
....Makes it oh so much easier for billboards, pamphlets, headlines, etc. So, to drain the bathwater, they are throwing out the baby all because of marketing for the ignorant masses to support them.
Boo Hoo, poor little Exxon, British Petroleum , etc -- they might have to spend some of their earnings on a media and lobbying campaign to get "fair" treatment.
So, you don't care if "fracking" gets ignorantly banned when it is not to blame for the problems? Smooth. Cutting off your nose to spite your face. Your/my electric bill, gasoline bill, food bill, cost of all goods just increased as now they have to drill far more holes, with far more numerous chances of failure, to satisfy your/my demands for energy. Brilliant! Don't kid yourself, Exxon, and BP are not hurt by this stupidity. They just pass the costs onto us. Their dividends still stay the same. Just the average person is hurt. You and I. Just you and I. PS. I am all for stricter drilling sealing options depending on depth etc, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater is blatantly dumb.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 10:28 am 
Quote:
But here’s the reality: OPEC is no longer a price maker, it’s a price taker. The price of oil is no longer being set by the cartel, it’s being set by U.S. drilling companies producing oil from shale deposits. And those drillers are thriving largely because of three key advantages, ones that I call the three Rs: rigs, rednecks, and rights.
OPEC KO'd by American Drilling... It's tough to understate how satisfying it is to see basic economics demonstrated in such plain fashion after sooooo many years of people telling me it couldn't be done and wouldn't work and largely on private land, no less. Without the defense of the right to privately own mineral rights, something very very rare in the world, we'd never have seen this kind of production taking place.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 pm 
Remember when some people that do not understand economics argued how more production/supply would not decrease price?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 12:49 pm 
yes, yes I do. often and repeatedly. We can't beat a cartel! it's a world price! etc etc etc. Except that you can force it lower than it would otherwise be with extra production. But it was all impossible and would take years even if it was .Well, it did....and now, here it is. That something will take years is no reason not to go do it because eventually, those years are up.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 pm 
Gloating like a child, eh? . . . over, what? $3.00 gasoline? rolleyes.gif Wow -- it's a magnificent blessing bestowed by the magical, mythical, invisible hand of market forces! $3.00 gasoline sounds good only because we've become inured to much higher prices for so long. It's all relative, and your shameless "told you so" attitude is certainly leaving you open to the inevitable skyrocketing price of oil that awaits us . . .

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 3:07 pm 
smile.gif Rarely does one get the clean falsification of the claims so forcefully stated concerning how we couldn't drill out way out of dependency, or defeat OPEC, or how it would take so long it wasn't worth doing. So I'm definitely enjoying that. All it took was not ignoring how economics actually works. Breaking the cartel and lower prices than they would otherwise be is indeed nice, but there's nothing magical about it in the slightest, nor mythical. It's merely the perfectly predictable outcome of allowing markets to work to some degree. Freedom works, and more would work better. I agree, 3 bucks sounds good only because it's been higher for a while. 2 bucks, or one buck sounds even better, but then there is inflation to contend with, and I'd be happy if the price relative to a commodity of fixed weight and content, like gold, was back to where it was say 20 years ago. The point being theres more to it than simply it's price relative to something which people can simply create with no net wealth increase necessary for it's creation. Of course demand has risen so that yields upward price pressure, so there's that. I don't really care what particular price it winds up at, so long as it's a market price created by freedom of supply and trade, and as much of both as are possible. Can you fill me in on some of your ideas concerning the inevitable skyrocketing of the price of oil?

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 pm 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
Gloating like a child, eh? . . . over, what? $3.00 gasoline? rolleyes.gif
Seen what Europe pays recently as they have NO oil resources? eek.gif There is a simple reason Europe went peddle to the metal for wind power. They do not have anything else other than France's nuclear power plants and poor coal resources as the good coal they did have was burned years ago. Solar/Wind is a necessity. We need an energy storage solution.

drm

drm
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Don't get me wrong..the rainbows are a nice goal. But the only way they will actually work is if they actually work in the real marketplace on their own.
As others have commented, I doubt any sector of the energy economy is really an unencumbered market. Nonetheless many forms of renewables are approaching or at competitive levels. Rooftop solar is competitive in sunny and even marginally sunny climes depending on the local price of electricity. While this does involve a variety of tax breaks, the price curve makes pretty clear that these will not be essential for long, and probably aren't already in some places. Utilities in many states are now having difficulty covering capital expenses because so many people are generating their own electricity and selling it to the grid rather than buying it. For so long, skeptics of renewables have focused on the challenge of intermittency. And while that is serious at some level for completely replacing fossil fuels, the way that the current energy regime finances itself does not match how renewables work, and this is a more short-term problem that needs addressing.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Nov 27, 2014 11:46 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Can you fill me in on some of your ideas concerning the inevitable skyrocketing of the price of oil?
In the short-term, the market always has a degree of volatility and certainly prices won't stay this low. They'll rise eventually. In the long-term, oil is a finite resource and human ingenuity can only extend it's life-span so far. As supplies dwindle and finding/extracting it becomes more costly, prices will go up. Since tar-sand oil is costly to extract, I wonder at what point does the price go too low to make it worth while? Either way, I feel rather dirty eek.gif talking strictly economics, since we're ignoring the numerous negative effects of burning fossil fuels. These effects are not priced in the market, which makes that market fundamentally flawed, IMO.