Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New drilling method opens vast oil fields in US
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostWed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm 
Wyatt's Torch!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm 
bopack wrote:
There are many that try and many that succeed in at least cutting their use and conserving.
I'd like to think so, but it's tough to quantify that. For years there has been a large, laudable marketing effort to make it "hip" to personally conserve, but how successful has that really been? It's been argued that our personal behavior is not enough to make a notable difference -- that real change requires government mandate. The market could use sincere help from government to spark change, but as long as Big Oil has its death grip on our energy infrastructure and our government, that won't happen anytime soon.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am 
Arkansas Earthquakes Could Be Man-Made "The small earthquakes that struck north central Arkansas could be from a combination of natural and man-made activity. Some experts think that pumping water into the ground as part of the extraction process of natural gas could cause local seismic events."

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 am 
Ouch!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
natural and man-made activity
From that link:
Quote:
Salt water is often a by-product of natural gas extraction, and often the simplest thing to do is simply pump it back into the ground, as the water itself is often toxic.
Nice. shakehead.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 am 
Relax. The free market will work out all the problems clown.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am 
Blue Dome wrote:
Dayhike Mike wrote:
natural and man-made activity
From that link:
Quote:
Salt water is often a by-product of natural gas extraction, and often the simplest thing to do is simply pump it back into the ground, as the water itself is often toxic.
Nice. shakehead.gif
Well, before we shake our heads and wag our fingers, let's think about this somewhat. You would have them do what with it, exactly? Run it through a treatment facility perhaps? And if so, then do what with whatever they extracted from the water, and again, what to do with the water? I doubt that without some serious processing, it would be fit to use. The plant would cost many millions of dollars (my guess, but I doubt that I'm wrong here), and the risk of a spill would still be there. Unlikely, but worth consideration. Further, what is being pumped back into the ground is probably about the same health risk as what's being pumped out in the first place. Good thing that we're removing the lightweight stuff (that might migrate to the surface some centruy), and are replacing it with something of a greater specific gravity. And, unless you do not use gasoline/diesel, plastic, vaseline or computers among many other items that are manufactured by the use of oil, and you don't use anything that has to be brought to your doorstep by any method other than walking, I think that your dog in this fight already has a red tag in his ear.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Mar 02, 2011 3:56 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
Quote:
moonspots wrote:
You would have them do what with it, exactly?
Not to have to deal with such poison in the first place, because our government will have had the moral courage and common sense to begin serious large-scale efforts to wean us off a fossil fuel economy, by creating a cultural, technical, and corporate environment where that would be accomplished. Unfortunately for now, the fact that the fossil fuel industry owns our government makes that unlikely.
moonspots wrote:
And, unless you do not use gasoline/diesel, plastic, vaseline or computers among many other items that are manufactured by the use of oil... I think that your dog in this fight already has a red tag in his ear.
Not going to list my personal effort to reduce my fossil fuel consumption, but rest assured it's more than most in our society. In any case, the old and stale argument of you-use-oil-so-you're-guilty doesn't wash. Our government, owned by the fossil fuel industry, makes it very difficult to thrive in our society without consuming fossil fuel and fossil fuel products. Reducing personal consumption is not enough -- our government must encourage cultural change and mandate technical and corporate change for real benefits to be realized.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 am 
Blue Dome wrote:
Blue Dome wrote:
Quote:
moonspots wrote:
You would have them do what with it, exactly?
Not to have to deal with such poison in the first place, because our government will have had the moral courage and common sense to begin serious large-scale efforts to wean us off a fossil fuel economy, by creating a cultural, technical, and corporate environment where that would be accomplished. Unfortunately for now, the fact that the fossil fuel industry owns our government makes that unlikely.
moonspots wrote:
And, unless you do not use gasoline/diesel, plastic, vaseline or computers among many other items that are manufactured by the use of oil... I think that your dog in this fight already has a red tag in his ear.
Not going to list my personal effort to reduce my fossil fuel consumption, but rest assured it's more than most in our society. In any case, the old and stale argument of you-use-oil-so-you're-guilty doesn't wash. Our government, owned by the fossil fuel industry, makes it very difficult to thrive in our society without consuming fossil fuel and fossil fuel products. Reducing personal consumption is not enough -- our government must encourage cultural change and mandate technical and corporate change for real benefits to be realized.
I see... well, I was trying to relate to REAL reality, not imaginary reality.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I was trying to relate to REAL reality, not imaginary reality.
We'd still be using stone tipped spears if we hadn't "imagined" a better way.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Reminds me of "Lie back. close your eyes, and think of England..."

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostSat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Frakkin' awesome....
I've heard that they've recently been using that process quite extensively in northern Japan. winksmile.gif

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Pretty much. The key is consistent application of the defense of rights.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 am 
If you like to fish, or care about the fisheries, read this excellent piece: By Ted Williams

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 pm 
Great article, it exposes some very real abuses and concerns.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers