Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New drilling method opens vast oil fields in US
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:39 am 
The United States is now the largest global crude oil producer

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:19 pm 
Market dynamism responding to challenges...these folks build floating processing rigs which can process oil from the well head or switch to cleanup for spills and do just as well. Even better, since they're ships you can simply move them out of the path of hurricanes.
Quote:
Based on the lessons learned and technologies developed for the BP Macondo spill response, Helix has developed its Fast Response System (HFRS) to respond to a future spill. The system uses proven methodologies to provide spill response capacity. Since February 2012, the HFRS has been cited as the spill response system of record for more than 90 new drilling permits issued in the Gulf of Mexico. At full production capacity, the Helix HFRS can handle up to 55,000 BOPD, 70,000 BLPD and 95 MMSCFD, at 10,000 psi in water depths to 10,000 feet. The Helix Producer I and Q4000 operate in the Gulf full time, with experienced crews. Calling off working vessels is operationally preferable to a modular system that would take longer to deploy and go untested for extended periods. The HFRS includes key subsea systems to transport hydrocarbons to the surface for capture and disposal are kept in inventory in the Gulf of Mexico, where they are maintained and available for deployment at any time.
More flexible than ever and dual use, these ships are amazing...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 08, 2019 3:42 pm 
Some oil producers turning to using gas turbines for electricity....powered by natural gas byproducts from the oil wells. This means the energy wasted by flaring off the gas will go into on site energy production to power the drilling tech. Great idea.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am 
Drill Baby Drill...peak oil indeed
Quote:
New US oil and gas production will be 20 times that of Russia and more than 40 times the output from new fields in Saudi Arabia
Peak oil has been a perpetual nonsense argument from people who don't understand how extraction economics actually function. The cover for ideologically based inherent resistance to production. Cheap, abundant energy. Yes, you can impact the cartels with production. Easily. All you need is the freedom to do so.
They're losing their minds over at Global Witness
Quote:
What action do you intend to take to curb oil and gas production from public lands and waters?
What actions do you intend to take to drive up energy prices, and thus the cost of living, for every citizen in the US...and many elsewhere?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:12 pm 
We recently visited our home town in North Dakota, and the place has changed a LOT due to the oil activity. Driving in the area is now VERY dangerous, my cousin was T-boned by an oil worker who fell asleep at the wheel and he nearly died. There are benefits like more and better eateries and shopping, a very large and expensive fire station, spots complexes, jobs, etc. But now way in hell would I ever live there again. We spoke with an oil worker from Texas who is working 12 hours a day, 7 pays a week. He also said that new discoveries of oil reserves in west Texas are so abundant that it could supply America oil for the next 100 years, from that area alone. Maybe true, not sure.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
new discoveries of oil reserves in west Texas are so abundant that it could supply America oil for the next 100 years, from that area alone.
Issues of getting off hydrocarbons aside, if that were true, I'd be fine with letting west Texas turn itself into a polluted, "wild west" extravaganza of gold field-mentality living (like Ft McMurray, Alta), if it would also mean the extractors leave the Arctic Wildlife Refuge alone.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm 
If you were actually serious about that idea and enough agreed, maybe we could work a deal between folks who want production and folks who relentlessly attack it..while using cheap energy to get to the mountains, work, vacation.....not to mention all products cheaper than they would otherwise be.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm 
Assuming things would necessarily be cheaper ignores the fact that the world oil market is heavily manipulated by every entity in the production biz. Remember the "oil crisis" back in the late 70's - early 80's? Residents of US border towns were going into Canada to tank up, b/c their gas was cheaper (hard to believe now!). But as long as we're still on oil, I see no downside to keeping the nasty business in Texas - shorter pipelines to refineries/shipping in Galveston, at least until it's submerged by rising sea levels. Might put the tar sands out of biz, though - the stuff is already ridiculously expensive to extract; but again, no downside with that except for the economies of Alberta & BC.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 2:18 pm 
North Dakota also has huge oil reserves due to the newer technology of "fracking" which allowed them to reach the Baaken Formation, which has a very rich and pure form of crude oil. I really don't care much that west Texas and North Dakota have become "Zoos" due to all the oil activity, because I sure don't plan to live there. Many retired and elderly were forced out of their homes in ND due to the high cost of living and lack of available housing. I guess one needs to take the good with the bad. I for one and just very happy that we are no longer dependent on foreign oil.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:03 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Assuming things would necessarily be cheaper ignores the fact that the world oil market is heavily manipulated by every entity in the production biz. Remember the "oil crisis" back in the late 70's - early 80's? Residents of US border towns were going into Canada to tank up, b/c their gas was cheaper (hard to believe now!). But as long as we're still on oil, I see no downside to keeping the nasty business in Texas - shorter pipelines to refineries/shipping in Galveston, at least until it's submerged by rising sea levels. Might put the tar sands out of biz, though - the stuff is already ridiculously expensive to extract; but again, no downside with that except for the economies of Alberta & BC.
It doesn't ignore anything of the sort. Not stating all arguments at all times is not ignoring something. I didn't quote the entire dictionary in my argument, but I'm not ignoring it. Sorry, this wording gets my...goat. wink.gif Additional production drives prices down lower than they would otherwise be without it. It is an axiomatic result of supply and demand. Note the phrasing...lower than they would otherwise be. There is no guarantee of a *specific* price, only that the price will be lower than without additional supply. Remember, the argument you're making was rampant prior to the fracking revolution, we were told that drill baby drill couldn't work because oil cartels. Bollocks. Additional supply means undercutting their pricing schemes because more is available from someone else. We were told it could never work...and it has worked. It was a certainty all along given the reserves and the technology to actually get the resource. The US is now the largest oil producer in the world. They said it couldn't be done. And I also remember how the argument in addition to 'peak oil', was that we must get off 'foreign oil', as alluded to by CJ. Both issues solved. Yes we can drill to obtain fuels cheaper than they would otherwise be, and in doing so, yes we can get off foreign oil. I'm not saying it was you, but plenty of folks disguised opposition to increasing production for other reasons... using these falsified arguments so they wouldn't have to make the ones which they really meant.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 pm 
Well maybe I'm thinking too simplistically, but the oil companies won't take it out of the ground unless and until they get the price they want. You can throw in some geopolitics, I suppose, but these decades multi-nationals don't seem to be particularly patriotic. Throw in the vertical integration component, etc. and I don't think you could argue very well that the oil biz operates purely on "supply and demand". Now, if someone came along with a petrol substitute that was inexpensive and abundant, then we'd really see some shuffling in the market forces.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:12 am 
It's quite simple. If you are against drilling for oil and worried about the effects, quit driving a gas powered car. Quit driving as much as you can--that'll reduce road repairs that use asphalt. Ride a bike to trailheads. Ride a bike or walk to run errands. Doesn't seem to be very many people willing to do that. Using a car and complaining about the pollution doesn't make sense and makes the word hypocrite come to mind. Lots of that going around these days.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 am 
They make up for the sin of driving by advertising for there favorite whacko politician.Their favorite whacko politician benefits from said advertisement and therefore can afford to fuel their private jets. Its called self-righteous atonement

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 8:43 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Well maybe I'm thinking too simplistically, but the oil companies won't take it out of the ground unless and until they get the price they want. You can throw in some geopolitics, I suppose, but these decades multi-nationals don't seem to be particularly patriotic. Throw in the vertical integration component, etc. and I don't think you could argue very well that the oil biz operates purely on "supply and demand". Now, if someone came along with a petrol substitute that was inexpensive and abundant, then we'd really see some shuffling in the market forces.
Anne, I didn't make the presumption it operated purely on supply and demand..the market is very distorted by interference and cartels. But the basics of price do operate on that basis, and everyone, even cartels, cannot avoid this. I support ending all subsidies, mandates, and market distortions here in the US, which would resolve those issues at least domestically, but for folks who want their fingers on the scales, this is unacceptable.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 am 
treeswarper wrote:
It's quite simple. If you are against drilling for oil and worried about the effects, quit driving a gas powered car. Quit driving as much as you can--that'll reduce road repairs that use asphalt. Ride a bike to trailheads. Ride a bike or walk to run errands. Doesn't seem to be very many people willing to do that. Using a car and complaining about the pollution doesn't make sense and makes the word hypocrite come to mind. Lots of that going around these days.
It's deeper than that. It's the outright refusal to accept and shoulder the dictates of one's own chosen ideals because of the pain and discomfort that would attend actually doing so, while one waits to use govt to make *other* people do so...in order to reduce the pain for the holder of the ideas.