Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sugarloaf Mt - 12 February 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 12:27 am 
For the dumpster divers or south-enders out there Sugarloaf Mt provides a short diversion for those with limited time. It is also another on the King County list of 220 summits with at least 400 ft of prominence; found here: http://home.comcast.net/~mshetter/kingcoall.htm I had a few hr's today to kill so went there with my daughter Katie and our dog Emma. The entire trip took just over two hrs door to door and we got up and down before the rain started. To find it head East on Kent-Kangley past Ravensdale and park at an old gated logging road. The trip to the treed summit is a quick two miles and 600 vertical feet following an old 4 by 4 road to about 1100 ft, then a bike trail beyond that to the first summit bump. Alternately you can stay on the 4 by 4 roads but there were several people out on this Saturday so we were glad to get off the track and into the woods. The views are limited due to the hill being treed but you do get a few interesting glimpses of the surrounding area. McDonald rises above you to the East.
Sugarloaf Map
Sugarloaf Map
Sugarloaf
Sugarloaf
Katie with Emma
Katie with Emma
McDonald Mt from near Sugarloaf's Summit
McDonald Mt from near Sugarloaf's Summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 12:43 am 
We've been up Sugarloaf a couple of times. It appeared to be a good place to go if you are looking for a quick 1/2 day hike. After going up there the last time I came across this King County website with info on the mountain: http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/waterandland/natural-lands/working-resource-lands/sugarloaf-mountain.aspx Note the last line on the King County webpage: "There is no legal public access to Sugarloaf Mountain Forest." I know it's a popular hike and lots of people hike up there but I guess we have been trespassing while hiking on the mountain. Maybe someone else has some more info on this?

Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 am 
Thanks for the info on the access. I was wondering about that. We ran into a person at the trail head who was in his truck inside the locked gate. I ask him if he was the land owner and if it was alright for us to hike in there. He told us that he knew the land owner and it was ok to hike and to watch out for motor bikes and 4 by 4's on the trails. From the KC web site it does say there is no public assess to the forest. I wonder if this means once in the forest you can hike? It is not fenced or posted in any way we saw and it looked like the 4 by 4's drove to the top.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm 
Yes, the way I understand it, it's okay to hike in the forest but it's completely surrounded by private property. So to get there you must trespass unless you get permission from the land owners or parachute in. frown.gif But I'm glad to hear that you talked to someone who said the landowners had given them the "ok." At least you weren't running for your life as bullets were whizzing past you from angry property owners. Neither time that we were up there did we see another soul.