Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sombrero Pk. & Palm Grove (Anza-Borrego) 02.13.11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 pm 
Yesterday Brian & I headed out to Anza-Borrego once again for a nice desert hike. We opted for something pretty short, & combined it w/a quick side trip to a palm grove. Even still it took all day long. embarassedlaugh.gif We reached the TH by taking the 8 to S2 to S. Indian Can Rd. Two border check points paranoid.gif , a missed turn doh.gif , & 1 long sandy rd. later dizzy.gif & we were on the trail by the crack of 10:45. There were no other cars @ the TH. up.gif
TH
TH
The route begins as a gentle westerly climb up a canyon, then turns southish up a steeper side canyon. There was a trail of sorts marked by ducks & was easy to follow...most of the time.
Headin' up the wash
Headin' up the wash
Views back down
Views back down
We reached the top of the canyon & turned W/SW toward Sombrero, its true summit unclear until near the end. The trail sort of fizzled out so then we just picked our way up the brush & boulders.
Brian heading up the rocks
Brian heading up the rocks
View eastish
View eastish
View southish
View southish
The home stretch
The home stretch
Big ass rock
Big ass rock
At this point I was pretty tired, presumably from walking several miles the day before. hink.gif I was ready to get to the top & laze for awhile. agree.gif Once on top, we enjoyed 360-degree views atop lg. boulders. cool.gif up.gif
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
& of course I had to sign the summit register, which included some really old notebooks w/entries dating back to 1970. eek.gif
Summit register
Summit register
OMG 1970?!?
OMG 1970?!?
Brian signing the register
Brian signing the register
BB & BC on top
BB & BC on top
We spent @ least an hr. on top soaking up the sun & taking in the views. We spotted the palm grove down below that we planned to check out on the way down.
Pointy rock
Pointy rock
Palms far below
Palms far below
Back to a flat area
Back to a flat area
Cholla
Cholla
Once back down @ the saddle, we turned southish to head downhill to where we thought the palms were. We joked about them being "just around the next corner" shakehead.gif all the while what we didn't realize is that they were closer & higher up than we thought. doh.gif After cursing ourselves for taking such a circuitous route, we sucked it up & traversed a nasty steep slope full of cholla back to the west, climbing back up to the elevation of the palms.
Brian heading toward the palm grove
Brian heading toward the palm grove
Palms
Palms
Barrel cactus
Barrel cactus
We sat down on a big rock & took in the views to the SE.
Late afternoon
Late afternoon
Wonder what this pk. is....
Wonder what this pk. is....
Then it was time to work our way back through the cholla rant.gif to the saddle though this time we were able to cut off some distance & avoid the steep slope we had come across. up.gif We saw more cool rocks along the way.
Cholla slope
Cholla slope
Heading back to the saddle
Heading back to the saddle
Balanced rock
Balanced rock
Wispy clouds
Wispy clouds
Clouds
Clouds
Once back to the top of the main canyon, it was easy travel the rest of the way down since we had a trail to follow. Once again we made it out around sunset. cool.gif up.gif
Sunset
Sunset

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 pm 
Wow! It looks like you guys had some really nice views up there! cool.gif up.gif It looks familiar from when we were there before, but we weren't really able to summit any peaks on that trip, except for that one viewpoint. I hope I can get a chance to visit all these places you're going at some point. wink.gif The weather is sooo much nicer there too. It's nice here sometimes, but today at work for example I was getting soaked for awhile by rain and high winds blasting me. shakehead.gif It's cool that you found some more palm trees (and avoided the cholla). up.gif I remember we were trying so hard to find some that first time we were there and finally we spotted a couple in the distance from our camp as it was getting dark. smile.gif I like all the interesting rocks too. biggrin.gif So is that mystery peak your next destination?

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 pm 
I really like the reminder of those wide views unimpeded by think stalks of carbon emerging from the ground. The NW is lousy with that stuff. Gotta get down to the SW again soon.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Feb 15, 2011 6:57 am 
MountainMan wrote:
So is that mystery peak your next destination?
Long wknd. coming up so we are headed to Death Valley. hockeygrin.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.