Forum Index > Trip Reports > Feb 13, 2011 Union Peak 5696' Jove Pk 6007' ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 7:40 am 
Jake, Justin, Dave and I approached via Smithbrook Road to the switchback at 3 mi and then up the southern rib of Union skirting the numerous granite outcrops and windrolls to where it meets the east ridge at 5200'. Not bad going overall. On the east ridge to the top pole depth was up to 16 inches! About 8" inches very light new over 6" to 10" of variable older dense snow from early last week. Trail breaking was a bit slow if not in the drip zone or wind scoured areas.
Skinnin up Union southern rib
Skinnin up Union southern rib
Dave up to Union summit
Dave up to Union summit
Justin and Chiwaukum Range
Justin and Chiwaukum Range
Boys on top of Union
Boys on top of Union
Dave and Jove
Dave and Jove
Skied the NW slope of Union bearing slightly skiers right off the summit to avoid the mid slope cliff band. Very dry new snow all day long on these shaded aspects. It took us a while to get our tele balance down due to the lack of any base. Skied to 4400 feet and then ascended the SW side of Jove connecting with the south rib for the final 400 vertical to the summit.
Justin dropping in
Justin dropping in
Floating in the deep
Floating in the deep
Starting up to Jove
Starting up to Jove
Union and NW slope ski on right
Union and NW slope ski on right
Final south ridge to Jove Peak
Final south ridge to Jove Peak
Jake and Justin on Jove
Jake and Justin on Jove
Henry M. Jackson Wilderness, WA
Henry M. Jackson Wilderness, WA
Cool clouds
Cool clouds
GP, Whittier, etc
GP, Whittier, etc
Labyrinth Mtn
Labyrinth Mtn
About to depart
About to depart
Run W/NW off Jove was great with a bit less depth to deal with due to some wind scouring. Fun run to 4300 feet just above Lake Janus. Only time we ever sank to crust was in the denser trees.
The second run
The second run
Dave on tricky wind scour
Dave on tricky wind scour
The brothers
The brothers
Jake off the top
Jake off the top
Jake and boys
Jake and boys
Justin
Justin
Justin cruizing
Justin cruizing
Our route out was a long trailbreak south along the route of the PCT from Lake Janus back to Union Gap.
Embark on the long traverse
Embark on the long traverse
NW Slope Union Pk
NW Slope Union Pk
Distant Rapid River
Distant Rapid River
Finally, Union Gap
Finally, Union Gap
We stripped skins at the gap and traversed high and downhill leftward onto the big steep clearcut slope below the east ridge of Union, crossed the upper road and descended to the lower road out about where the uphill gradient portion ends. This luckily gave us an all downhill route to the car. The south facing slope was already getting a thin crust on it from sun exposure earlier in the day. The slope also had several significant wet slides originating as point releases off the rocks and trees above. These got sizeable, one crossing the road, and were fifty to a hundred feet wide and several feet deep by the bottom at the road. This slope seems to do this a lot after a good snowfall followed by hot sun. Things were refreezing by the time we went through at 4:30PM. Only other note: trees began to drip pretty well below 5000 feet on south and southwest aspects in the afternoon.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 am 
Looks like a fun day in a great place for turns. up.gif Gotta get back there this season. I found 6" of creamy fresh closer to home. Winter has returned!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Looks like a fun day in a great place for turns. up.gif Gotta get back there this season. I found 6" of creamy fresh closer to home. Winter has returned!
Hey Steve, where might that have been if you don't mind me asking?? PM me if you like. Looking for something closer to home for tomorrow if the rain doesn't climb to high. Thanks, John By the way, you all are welcome to crash in my little place in Roslyn for the Loppett if that gets you close enough to shorten the drive logistics.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
juneauhiker

juneauhiker
PostMon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 am 
That sounds like an awesome trip. I went back there a few weeks ago but we ended up just making some turns from Union's E ridge back down to the road after a late start and some gear issues. I hope for weather like yours when I go back!

Say, what's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?