Forum Index > Trip Reports > Picklehandle Basin and Ridge (2/19/11)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 5:31 pm 
Saturday was a great day, and for it was another chance to hit my favorite winter area again. This time I was aiming for Pickhandle Point. I had to be back in Seattle by 3 pm so I knew I was on a limited time window. Me, Firestar and Cyohman left the ski area at 8 am after signing in with the ski patrol. After heading up past the lift area and through the village we decided to head up to Pickhandle Ridge and then take the ridge to the summit. Unfortunately on the way up we need quiet got to the ridge due to the fact of 2 + feet of fresh powder and marginal avalanche conditions. At about 5800 feet we timed out and though we were only 500 of elevation gain to reach the summit it would have taken about at least an hour or two to the summit. So we turned around and headed down to Pickhandle Basin where it looked like there was a lot better route for the next time.
Our intended route. Next time I will be go via Pickhandle Basin!
Our intended route. Next time I will be go via Pickhandle Basin!
Morning views
Morning views
Morning views
Morning views
Nice morning
Nice morning
Great day in the mountains
Great day in the mountains
Views from the ridge
Views from the ridge
Views from the ridge
Views from the ridge
Pretty Day
Pretty Day
Crown Point
Crown Point
Pickhandle Point
Pickhandle Point
Crown Point View
Crown Point View
Firestar
Firestar
Ridge connecting Crown Point and Pickhandle Point
Ridge connecting Crown Point and Pickhandle Point
When I got back I realized my wife BearQueen who took the gondola up while waiting for us at the ski lodge had took some excellent pictures of the area! She took some shots of Rainier that we never got to see. I want to thank BearQueen for most of the driving and the waiting and Cyohman and Firestar for coming on the trip. It was awesome to get out and enjoy the sun and the fresh powder even if we did not make the summit. As for Pickhandle Point see you next week. Weather will determine the trip but right now Saturday is the better of the two, though expect for fresh powder. I would prefer to wait until Sunday but that will be determined by the weather. If anyone is interested PM me.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 5:51 pm 
My pictures from the gondola. I will comment more later but it was awesome seeing Chance again and Firestar182 for the first time.
In the gondola
In the gondola
Nice slopes
Nice slopes
Rainier
Rainier
Rainier
Rainier
More views
More views
Silver Queen
Silver Queen
Rainier
Rainier
Views from the top
Views from the top
More slopes
More slopes
Crystal Mountain and Three Way Peak
Crystal Mountain and Three Way Peak
From the gondola
From the gondola
Views
Views

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.
Firestar182
Missing the PNW

Firestar182
Missing the PNW
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 am 
I didn't even see this TR until just now when I was cruising around on the site. It was a good trip even though we didn't get the summit...I felt like I got a great workout just trying to slog through all that snow. Also, BearQueen, I LOVE YOUR PICTURES! WOW! You have some really great shots there! I'm glad we turned around when we did, even though it's always a bummer not to get the summit...it's just nice to be out there. Thanks for having me along, EastKing! It was great to meet BearQueen and Cyohman!

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." — Ed Viesturs
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm 
You guys got some beautiful weather that day! Bummer you didn't get the summit though.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 11:59 am 
Took me a minute to figure out this was at Crystal, I wanna do the gondola, snowshoe around and then down. Great pics! What a beautiful day!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 12:11 pm 
This is incredible! The amount of crystal clear days up there this winter is ming-boggling dizzy.gif Usually it's cloudy and foggy every day in the winter. Some weird season this year but it makes for some great winter climbs. The winter here has been horrible to the point that I haven't been able to climb since I was back there over Christmas break bawl.gif Looks like everyone is enjoying it though! smile.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm 
Last weekend was quiet amazing weatherwise. This weekend was not, but I still made the most of it with Taylor Mountain.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.