Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rialto Beach, Day Hike 2/21/2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 3:42 pm 
After spending all day Saturday at the Subaru dealership in Gorst, I was ready to take drive out to the coast. Our destination, was Rialto Beach. I figure since Slugman covered Kalaloch on or about the same time-frame, I could cover farther north. winksmile.gif So lets start with some new wheels:
IMG_0198
IMG_0198
The wife, dog and I had a nice drive most of the way. Crossing the Hood Canal bridge we headed toward Discovery bay and pretty much had the road to ourselves, save for a couple id-gits that decided to risk everyone's lives by making dangerous passes. mad.gif After that, it mellowed out and we cranked some good tunes, and yakked up a storm on up past Sequim, Port Angeles and finally Forks. We kind of lost track of time just taking in the scenery. Arriving a Rialto, we discovered we left the leash at home. So we improvised with one of our camera bag straps. Then we were off, leisurely strolling along the beach:
Not only was the surf captivating, but the logs in their many different shapes intrigue us:
And, we couldn't forget our faithful canine companion Kelly, who thoroughly enjoyed herself running up and down the beach. We found that she can care less about anyone else. The secret?
Her Highness Reigns:
I guess the last thing to show you all is the new pack some of the guys here highly recommended. It's an Osprey Atmos 50, Graphite Gray.
Overall, it was a good day. We kept going past Kalaloch down the coast and coming back up through McCleary, Shelton and finally back to Kingston for the big loop. We seen cloudy, misty rain, rain and more rain, back to cloudy and then sunny at home. Weird. huh.gif Enjoy! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 7:43 pm 
139, cool shot! up.gif those big logs out on the shore are something aren't they? no other sound like them colliding in big winter surf. 101 in any direction can teach patience for even the most eager of its adventurer(s). wink.gif thanks for the report.

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm 
Neat! What is the funny yellow and white blobby thing?

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
alexquick

alexquick
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 pm 
Hey that's where I got my wife's car. Ironically though it's a Honda.

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostFri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 am 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
Neat! What is the funny yellow and white blobby thing?
It just stuck out like a sore thumb begging to have it's picture taken. embarassedlaugh.gif Made me wonder how it got there and where it came from. biggrin.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostFri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 am 
NWtrax wrote:
139, cool shot! up.gif those big logs out on the shore are something aren't they? no other sound like them colliding in big winter surf. 101 in any direction can teach patience for even the most eager of its adventurer(s). wink.gif thanks for the report.
Your welcome. I finally got up off my duff and got into my Flickr account (which was no easy feat) and now with the latest and greatest Aperture, I can upload them pretty easy for sharing. So there's no excuse for me not to share my trips. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 11:54 am 
Pretty dog & pack, the car's not too shabby either. I saw a shinny blue subie at Dogwood park taking pics of sunrise on rainier yesterday, thought maybe it was you for a moment, but see your's is more grey