Questionable hiker
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 6:51 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 pm 
You could buy all that stuff at trader joes and it would be even less not to mention you can get things like the roasted unsalted almond slivers which are amazing in oatmeal. Well I buy the thick cut oats from the bulk bins elsewhere which is usually even cheaper and I think it is way better than the instant stuff. If you make it in the microwave it really doesnt take much longer either. edit, i guess you may not have trader joes in yakima doh.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm 
Nah, just buy your oats from Costco! It is so cheap that way (we eat oatmeal most morning!) The secret is you run the oats raw through a dry blender to chop them down, then you have "instant" oats smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm 
sarbar wrote:
The secret is you run the oats raw through a dry blender to chop them down, then you have "instant" oats smile.gif
that's all it takes?? really?? though I love my slow oats on weekends, after a nice morning yoga session...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 pm 
Let me pull it up out of the manuscript and I'll post my version of the instant thingies going around smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 10:36 pm 
This is one way to do it, pulled from manuscript 3 :-) Instant Oatmeal Packets This is an open ended recipe - make as many packets as you would like! Ingredients: old-fashioned oats quick cooking oats salt Put 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats at a time in a blender or mini food processor and blend on high until broken apart and somewhat powdery. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure if you are making a bigger batch. In each pint size freezer bag put: 1/4 cup quick cooking oats 2 Tbsp powdered oats 1 Tbsp dry milk, soy or rice milk powder or coconut cream powder 1/8 tsp kosher salt (if desired) FBC method: Add 3/4 cup near boiling water. Stir, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 5 minutes. One pot method: Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil, take off the heat and add in the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for a couple minutes. Variations: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp diced dried apples. Sweetened Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp sugar. Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Raisins and Brown Sugar Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar and 1 Tbsp raisins. Hippy Oatmeal : 2 Tbsp wheat germ and 1 Tbsp diced toasted pecans. Peaches and Cream Oatmeal: 1 Tbsp full fat dry milk and 2 Tbsp diced dried peaches. Confetti Oatmeal: 1 tsp decorative cake/cookie sprinkles. S'More Oatmeal: 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbsp chocolate chips. Cookies and Cream Oatmeal: 1 crushed chocolate stuffed cookie and 1 Tbsp full fat dry milk. http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/instant-oatmeal-packets

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm 
SWR, I might add...I do oatmeal on the stove in about 10 minutes total using old fashioned oats. It is very good and easy to do....I haev posted a bunch of versions on my personal blog smile.gif

Nacci

Nacci
PostThu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm 
After I read Sarbar's just-whirl-the-oats-in-a-blender tip last year, I really started to enjoy my breakfasts on the trail. I set out an array of goodies and make different mixes for each day on the trail. To prepare, I empty the zipper bag of mixed oatmeal into a bowl and add boiling water to the desired consistency. I don't use a cozy; I just eat it! Other ingredients not in one of Sarbar's recipes above ... chopped walnuts, cashews, coconut, golden raisins, dried blueberries, chopped fig, nutmeg This year I'm going to try the blend of old-fashioned oats & quick oats.

kayakbear

kayakbear
PostThu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 am 
For those of you who are steel cut oat fans and accept nothing else (like me) you can make a batch, dehydrate the paste, run it through the food processor and have near instant steel cut oats. I say nearly because you have to let them simmer in boiling water for about 5 min but it sure beats the cardboard taste of the other type of oats and it keeps you filled longer. Just add your sugar, fruits and nuts to the oatmeal after the food processing.

somegeek

somegeek
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 pm 
Rolled/cut/altered oats FTW! My grandma is going to be 95 this year. One thing she's done daily, since I was a tyke, is eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 pm 
You know it! up.gif good for the heart and cholesterol levels. We eat oatmeal 5 or so mornings a week. Yum!!