Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hard shell suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 12:58 pm 
I'm looking for a good hardshell. I'm taking a mountaineering class and would like something that works for 3-season technical stuff. Of course it'd be great if it would work well for snowboarding or whatever. Do you guys have any suggestions? I think I want to keep it less than $300.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm 
Rab Latook Alpine jacket!!!! Buy it! Buy it now! I'm in love with mine if you couldn't tell...

North by Northwest
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 2:36 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
Rab Latook Alpine jacket!!!! Buy it! Buy it now! I'm in love with mine if you couldn't tell...
Looks like some goofy looking guy posted a picture of him in the coat on backcountry.com lol.gif Unfortunately I would have no idea what size to get if I can't try it on.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 3:16 pm 
There's one on sale today only for $210 at Basegear.com. I'd buy it except they don't have my size. I've also been looking for a Montane eVent Halo but it's out of stock everywhere.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 4:02 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
ditto.gif Love mine.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 5:37 pm 
TwoFortyJeff wrote:
I highly recommend eVent. If you buy RAB just make sure you buy local so you can easily return it if it delaminates.
What jacket with eVent do you recommend? Does anyone know any local places to try on the RAB jacket?

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
TwoFortyJeff wrote:
I highly recommend eVent. If you buy RAB just make sure you buy local so you can easily return it if it delaminates.
What jacket with eVent do you recommend? Does anyone know any local places to try on the RAB jacket?
What Jacket with eVent? RAB LATOOK ALPINE!! Haha but Feathered Friends in Downtown SeaTown sells Rab.

North by Northwest
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 pm 
Second Ascent in Ballard usually stocks Rab too.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 pm 
Pro Mountain Sports stocks RAB. I suggest going with a size larger than you normally wear (I normally wear XL, but need XXL in RAB sizing). The Latok Alpine is a great jacket.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm 
I tried REI's eVent jackets. I didn't like the fit of the Shuksan. I really liked the fit of the Kimtah (cheaper model) though. It'd probably work even though it's a lighter jacket. However the reviews on REI.com are pretty bad. I could always return it though. I'll definitely stop by feathered friends this week. $300 is really on the high end of what I want to spend. Would this work for 3-season mountaineering?

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 am 
KillerCharlie wrote:
I tried REI's eVent jackets. I didn't like the fit of the Shuksan. I really liked the fit of the Kimtah (cheaper model) though. It'd probably work even though it's a lighter jacket. However the reviews on REI.com are pretty bad. I could always return it though. I'll definitely stop by feathered friends this week. $300 is really on the high end of what I want to spend. Would this work for 3-season mountaineering?
It'll work for all four seasons with proper layering. I've worn the RAB eVent down to -28F with a primaloft underneath (on the move). Size accordingly.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am 
Second Ascent is really the only good shop in Seattle. naughty.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 8:19 am 
I had a Rab Latok Alpine jacket for sale at $150 a couple weeks ago, but nobody on NWHikers or TGR bit. XL, but that's a Euro XL, i.e., more like a US large. I gave it to a friend (in exchange for dinner and a bottle of single malt, I hope) and got an XXL. ETA: Last time I checked, FF, SA, PS and Marmot were out of most sizes of the Latok Alpine.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 pm 
I just need something to keep me dry when outside for long periods in drizzly or rainy weather. Looking at the coats at REI, they start at $100 and everything in the $100-$200 range gets terrible reviews. If that's really the case I might as well spend a bit more and get something that works well. I don't really have any good raincoat at all right now. I just wear a fleece around town and only go on overnight trips in clear weather. I only mention the mountaineering class because now I'll be forced to be out every weekend regardless of weather. With better rain gear I'd probably hike more.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm 
If you are going to be out much in inclement weather I would get the Latok Alpine that everyone is recommending. Here is a good deal on a XL for $180 (will probably fit closer to a L): http://store.everestgear.com/rabmelaalja.html?productid=rabmelaalja If it doesn't fit it probably won't cost you much more than $10 in return shipping.