Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Tabs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 am 
So my tabs are due. On my renewal notice is the option to "donate" $5 to state parks. Sure i could opt out....but i can go with out Starbucks for a day. Here's what bugs me...Since it's a donation what if i wanted to donate more than $5? I don't see a way to donate more.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hit

Hit
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 am 
I donated the five bucks too. You could probably call the dmv or go in and ask. Did you ask when you got your tags?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm 
Hit wrote:
I donated the five bucks too. You could probably call the dmv or go in and ask. Did you ask when you got your tags?
Last year when i renewed my tabs, the guy a the license agent office would not drop the fact that the $5 is an optional donation. I had to tell him to Stop! I know dam well it is optional! There in nothing you could do to convince me to not pay the extra five bucks when i want to spend the extra five bucks. The guy actually flinched. lol.gif Anyway i found my answer. http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/donations.html
Quote:
How to donate A $5 donation to keep state parks open is included in the total cost of your vehicle tab renewal per RCW 46.16.076. To donate, simply renew your tabs and pay the amount shown. If you’d like to offer even more support to Washington State Parks, you can place a check in a donation box at a state park or mail it to: Washington State Parks Headquarters Office 1111 Israel Road SW Olympia, WA 98504-2650

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 pm 
We pay the $5 each time, so that's $15 per year. I use the state park system some, and I approve of it in general, so I might as well kick in a few bucks.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 pm 
Yea I pay the $5 a year on 3 vehicles however if they institute a pass/permit thing I wonder if this sticks around. In any event if I have to buy a pass for state park access I might reconsider donating the $15 a year at tab renewal time.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Feb 21, 2011 5:56 pm 
By default the $5 is added to your tab fee when buying online or in person. You must opt out to have it removed. I think it's a sneaky way to ding more money out of people. If it went strictly to State Parks I would be all in favor, but it doesn't. There was a segment on KIRO radio several months ago highlighting this and the "donation" is running around 40-45% of new tab renewals. That's amounting to millions of dollars going into the general fund. Many people interviewed had no idea they paid extra. If you buy your tabs online, by default the box is checked, so you may have payed and not even noticed. huh.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 pm 
I waited too long and they were expired so I went to a place. I thought it was interesting though that they did ask me if I wanted to pay the $5 for state parks before giving me the total. I might have thought they would have been a little more sneaky about it but then again they are agents and don't really have anything to gain if you pay the $5 or not. They get their $5 surcharge or whatever it is on top of it all...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
By default the $5 is added to your tab fee when buying online or in person. You must opt out to have it removed. I think it's a sneaky way to ding more money out of people. If it went strictly to State Parks I would be all in favor, but it doesn't. There was a segment on KIRO radio several months ago highlighting this and the "donation" is running around 40-45% of new tab renewals. That's amounting to millions of dollars going into the general fund. Many people interviewed had no idea they paid extra. If you buy your tabs online, by default the box is checked, so you may have payed and not even noticed. huh.gif
Finally someone who gets it! I pay this state enough money as it is ffs.
tigermn wrote:
I waited too long and they were expired so I went to a place. I thought it was interesting though that they did ask me if I wanted to pay the $5 for state parks before giving me the total. I might have thought they would have been a little more sneaky about it but then again they are agents and don't really have anything to gain if you pay the $5 or not. They get their $5 surcharge or whatever it is on top of it all...
I renew my tabs at the courthouse saving $6 on each transaction, I usually do 2 at a time and typically have other business in the area anyway and yes, they did ask if I wanted to donate $5 to the state parks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 am 
The state gets enough money from me. I'll give my voluntary donations to more needy causes.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 am 
Is there similar outrage when a bank sneaks in fee after fee after fee after fee and disguises it with deceptive bills? And don't come back with "shop the marketplace for a new bank" because they all do it. I do agree that the more honest way to raise more revenue would be to raise taxes, but that has become a political impossibility.

huron

huron
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 am 
State park funding should come out of the general state budget and not from fees. Same for toll roads. Voting with my money, I try to support and vote for initiatives to fund the parks and decline to donate/pay as a fee.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
huh.gif Where did you get information that the $5 donation is going to the general fund? Per RCW 46.16.076 the money must be deposited in a stewardship account to pay for operation and maintenance of state parks. If that accounted got gutted to pay for the Washington Department of Health's Washyourhandsingon commercial i would certainly be outraged. Wait.....I am outraged the state wasted my money on a that commercial. rant.gif
Daryl wrote:
The state gets enough money from me. I'll give my voluntary donations to more needy causes.
I agree there are more needy causes. Yes the state gets plenty of my money. But it's not going to state parks. It appears Parks\DNR are going the way of the Fee anyway. At least with the 5 dollar donation i know my money is going to some thing i'm willing to pay for.....as for that comerical i want my money back. rolleyes.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm 
For those who did not click the linky....enjoy...you payed for this. rolleyes.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 pm 
Advocating public health and encouraging preventative measures is a legitimate function of government. Flu outbreaks interrupt commerce, i.e., sick workers, fewer consumers. Washing hands is a very effective way to lessen the risk of a flu outbreak and avoid individual outbreaks.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 1:34 pm 
And if more people did it they wouldn't have to run ads like that. Pretty simple but there are some pretty stupid/lazy people out there.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.