Forum Index > Gear Talk > Packable Raft info wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 am 
Anyone have experiences or recommendations for a lightweight packable one person raft? Obviously I would like one as durable as possible while still being lightweight. I have a float tube but they are not really packable, are heavy, and being immersed in a high mountain lake get's chilly quickly even with insulated waders. Thanks in advance.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
justaddfuel
nom nom

justaddfuel
nom nom
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 am 
For alpine lakes the flyweight raft fits the bill perfectly and packs down really small. http://flyweightdesigns.com/products.aspx Use your sleep pad in the base for additional insulation from the water. Ti goat is also coming out with an even lighter one soon.

justaddfuel
nom nom

justaddfuel
nom nom
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 am 
What a strange cyclical world. You posted in this thread: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7983818 Which is linked off of flyweight's homepage!

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 am 
In addition to the ~ 3lb FlytePacker raft mentioned above, Trail Blazer Andy Schmidt also is making the ~ 2lb Curtis raft, contact info here: TB Forum Alpacka also offers a lightweight raft, expensive but very durable. They are also working on a lightweight float tube - one of which was auctioned off at the Trail Blazer/Hi-Laker social this past weekend (as well as a FlytePacker and Schmidt-made Curtis). Also Sevylor makes a small one-man raft, but it is more in the 4 lb range I believe - but less expensive. We own 2 Curtis rafts - they work great.

uncoolperson
Out of breath

uncoolperson
Out of breath
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 am 
I read somewhere the Sevylor trail boat is discontinued. if you want one, I've got one that is soon to be replaced with an alpacka scout. Used 2-3 times. let me know if you want it.

In search of clear water, solitude, and stupid trout.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 am 
Heck, you're right - looks like it is discontinued (Sevylor Trail Boat HF160).

LitePacker

LitePacker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 11:16 am 
Options you have available - Trail Boat - was discontinued last fall you can try to find a used one, but it is not very durable, unless you treat it with kit gloves. Ti Goat Boat - they have no plans to release this product as far as I know. I believe that there was a forum post on BPL to this effect a little while back. FlytePacker - for clarity this boat weighs 2lbs 3 ounces. 200D nylon, all welded seams. Check out the May issue of Backpacker for a review. All of our reviews have been positive and we are really easy to work with...sorry for the plug. smile.gif Schmidt boat - Basically, a remake of the Curtis Boat. These boats are really light, generally 70D nylon. Depending upon your height and weight, and what you plan on packing, this might be a good option. Alpacka Scout - Basically a flatwater boat that can handle up to C-II rapids. Heavier than the aforementioned options and more expensive, but it uses a more robust fabric too. NRS Packraft - 70D fabric tubes, inflatable floor (removable) inflatable seat, and dual chambers. The floor is 210D fabric. NRS indicates that it is rated for whitewater. This is also a heavy boat at 4.8lbs. Feathercraft Baylee - This is a really expensive heavy boat, but bulletproof and available with things like a self-bailing floor. This is probably overkill for what you want. But it is still an opiton. There are also various other models from yesteryear that you might find if you dig hard enough (American Safety Products, Eddie Bauer, Sherpa).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
uncoolperson wrote:
I read somewhere the Sevylor trail boat is discontinued. if you want one, I've got one that is soon to be replaced with an alpacka scout. Used 2-3 times. let me know if you want it.
I am interested, PM sent. I should clarify that I plan to use it on lakes only, so less weight and cost takes priority over durability, although I don't want junk either as Hulk has enough rafts to pack out as it is.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm 
Litepacker: thanks for that informative, perhaps comprehensive is a better word, post. up.gif I have used one of your rafts, a loaner from BPJ, to cross Goat lake (Mtn Loop), as part of our "flotilla social" to remove garbage from the far side of the lake. It was awesome. The boat was sturdy, safe, comfortable, easy to paddle, and unbelievably light. Seeing an alpine lake from the perspective of the middle of the lake was a unique experience for me. Someday I will own one of your boats. agree.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Yes, thanks also Litepacker for clarifying the weight of the FlytePacker - apologies, think I was mixing apples & oranges there (some weights with paddles etc included, some not). Have heard several nice comments about the flotation the FlytePacker provides, for bigger guys.

LitePacker

LitePacker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
I am interested, PM sent. I should clarify that I plan to use it on lakes only, so less weight and cost takes priority over durability, although I don't want junk either as Hulk has enough rafts to pack out as it is.
If you buy the Trail Boat cut the ropes off the boat and never use them. It does not take much force to rip out the eyelets and d-rings on the boat which will cause a rapid boat deflation (I own a Trail Boat BTW). On the plus side, the inflation bag for the Trail Boat is compatible with a FlytePacker. smile.gif

LitePacker

LitePacker
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
Thanks for the kudos Slugman and Kat. We developed the boat to handle more weight since I am a big guy and I am only a lightweight (not ultralight) backpacker. We have some additional projects in the pipeline like a dry/inflation bag that has all welded seams, roll top closure, and compression straps. You can use it to inflate the boat, pack your down bag, or hang your food at night. It could probably be used as a water bag too, but I haven't tested it for that at this point. You can also turn it into an ultralight day pack of sorts. I will post pictures when my production prototype is ready. We have a couple of other raft projects going too.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm 
Here's what I want: a boat that doubles as a fair-weather shelter. Imagine a long-ish boat, propped up at one end with a paddle or trekking pole, some reinforced points for tie-downs to keep the raft from blowing away in the wind, with a velcro-type attachment for a mosquito netting fringe. hmmm.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 am 
It's that "blow away" thing with a raft that would be hard to overcome I think! I often deflate ours in the evening, even if I'm going to use them the next morning, just because I don't want to lose them (been there, done that). Besides, they make a pretty nice pillow in the tent smile.gif Litepacker, the daypack/stuff sack use of an inflatabag is an interesting idea. I just saw Gossamer Gear's riksak (sp?), similar idea. Only issue with the inflatabag - I don't know how other folks use theirs, but after I've stuffed a wet dirty muddy raft, paddles, perhaps water shoes in there - not sure I want to use it for anything else, if you know what I mean. Including a drinking water bag, which mine comes with an adapter for. A shower on the other hand... for those long backcountry trips... hmmm...

Nacci

Nacci
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am 
DH just bought the FlytePacker after lots of research. (It looks so pretty in the family room, but I hope it's deflated and put away soon!) I'm planning to buy him an Instaflator for backcountry use. Perhaps folks can post some "action photos" with these rafts in use over the summer.