Forum Index > Food & Grub > spuds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
packgoat

packgoat
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 4:30 pm 
This has probably been mentioned before. IDAHOAN mashed potatoes. I fish at my friend's home in Yakutat Alaska where we participants each bring in the food supplies we plan to cook for our meals. I bring fresh stuff to make the meals as tasty as possible. I always brought potatoes for Mashed spuds to go with my favorite pork chop meal. A few years ago, Frank said, George these 4 minute spuds are indistinguishable from cooked spuds. Since then I even use them at home. They come in various styles, like Yukon Gold, Baby Reds, etc. but all are prepared the same. Put dry spuds in a bowl and add 2 cups boiling water then stir with a fork for a minute. let it rest for a bit and attack. Don't wait for summer to try them out, enjoy at home. If you are hiking alone you might want to repackage in 2 halves and add one cup water. I buy them for $.88/pack. Betty Crocker has gotten in the act but I've never tried them. George

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 7:37 pm 
They have brought them out in single serving packs now (versus the 4 serving packs currently sold)...but have yet to find them in stores in the PNW yet. Soon though, they will be here. Same flavors though. The BC ones are pretty bad tasting IMO - beware the "sweet potato" one - it is a bag o' dye.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
ChrisM

ChrisM
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 pm 
Yes. Yes. Yes. Which variety you ask? LOADED BAKED (Granted I first had these after 10 days on the trail so my palate may be skewed)

Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostWed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 pm 
My favorite instant mashed taters are Honest Earth from Costco. They completely rock IMO! The only ingredients are potatoes (including the peel), butter and sea salt. Each pack has 8 servings, but those can easily be re-packaged into individual servings. To make them also calls for milk and butter, but those could probably be replaced with powdered milk and powdered butter. Add a little Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic and...mmmmm...instant garlic mashed potatoes! I may have to do some experimenting now. Christina p.s. I just noticed that these are made by Idahoan Foods, LLC--perhaps the same company that produces the Idahoan brand?

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm 
sarbar wrote:
They have brought them out in single serving packs now (versus the 4 serving packs currently sold)...but have yet to find them in stores in the PNW yet. Soon though, they will be here. Same flavors though.
QFC on Broadway (Capitol Hill) now has the single serve variety box smile.gif 10 single serve packets include: 2-loaded baked 2-roasted garlic 3-buttery homestyle 3-four cheese

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Nacci

Nacci
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 am 
Half of the "Serves-4" package is my son's favorite late afternoon just-got-camp-set-up-and-I'm-starving snack.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 11:25 am 
Nothing better on a cold dreary day for a quick snack or with lunch. My wife and I split a 4 serving bag and its a perfect amount. Sounds good right now actually.