Forum Index > Trail Talk > French Creek road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostThu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm 
I am planning going up Boulder river this weekend and looked up french creek road on the national forest website stating the road has snow. I know these reports are not always right, it has been in the 50's the last couple days here. I also know the road can be pretty muddy and the last thing I want to do on a sunday afternoon is get stuck. Has anyone been up there lately?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 am 
No i have not been up there recently. I think your assessment is spot on. Yea, snow levels can be highly localized, but i'm calling bs.gif on that report. I bet ya since it's winter they just make a blanket statement there is snow on the road. Odds are it might snow in the winter. dizzy.gif Boulder River trail head is at 1000 feet. It's rare that it gets snow bound for long.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 am 
That area got dumped on several weeks ago, so I'd guess there's 1-2 ft. on that road. Everything east of me (Monroe) is deep snow above 1,000 ft. I'd plan on heavy wet glop and take chains. If enough 4x4's have been in there you might be ok. Yeah, the FS reports are a joke. The Sky RS can't even have updated road conditions on roads that are a few miles away. They probably have the website contracted out to someone in India...... lol.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 am 
They got 2 inches of ice and snow on Wednesday, but it rained all day yesterday and around town, at least, the snow is melting fast. C'mon Geo - be reasonable.They got up to 3 feet of snow, and most was still on the ground as recently as Sunday - it's not likely the Forest Service is out driving around this week to update road conditions for hikers. It's winter: expect snow where snow is typically expected, and in unusual years like this one, you just have to punt.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
George Winters

George Winters
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am 
There was an inch of rain in Darrington thursday. Open undisturbed flat places still have a cover of wet slushy snow at 550 feet elevation, Friday morning. The French Creek road had significant potholes already. Also, there was wind last night in the area. Fresh limbs are down. It is always amazing how quickly some of the roads get driven, but I would expect to need high clearance and such to try exploring that road.

When you are "miles from nowhere" you must have finally arrived at somewhere.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm 
DOH! proven wrong.. lol.gif Should have put a disclaimer on my original post. tongue.gif I have not had a day off of work since Feb 20th what do i know. dizzy.gif Anyway...it's interesting the D town has snow, it's that highly localized thing. The hills just around Granite Falls are clearly visible...Olo and Blue are obviously snow free to 2500 feet or so.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
hermes

hermes
PostFri Mar 11, 2011 11:14 pm 
1st mile of road has been cleared of downed trees. At 1 mile there is a section of open road that has snow with ~7in ruts. Beyond that section I could see open road but too risky to drive through in my jacked up minivan.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Anyway...it's interesting the D town has snow, it's that highly localized thing.
15 foot tall snowman in Darrington This was a couple of weeks ago. But as recently as last weekend, there was a considerable amount of unmelted snow there, and more coming down. And the damn lazy Forest Servicers sitting around doing project-planning - stuff that actually make sense this time of year, instead of out there reporting on snowy roads for hikers. On second thought, maybe the Forest Service wasted all their time building that snowman instead of plowing roads to trailheads, which is what they should be doing. Bastards.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting