Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yakima Skyline Ridge - 3.11.2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 7:52 am 
Once again we decided to drive east to escape from the drab west side weather... and the L. T. Murray State Wildlife Recreation Area definitely lived up to its name today... with pheasant, quail, heron, deer and bighorn sheep. Trailhead: Drive I90 just east of Ellensburg and turn south at Exit 110 (Hwy 82/97)... continue on 97 for ~26miles and take Exit 26... turn right on Hwy 823 (Harrison Rd), cross the Yakima River, and in 4.2 miles, turn right onto N. Wenas Rd... follow Wenas for 4 miles... at the fire station take Gibson for .2 miles... then right on Buffalo Road for .4 miles to the end of pavement. From the end of the paved portion of Buffalo Road, continue 1.5 miles on dirt and cross a cattle guard... then continue .7 miles to the poorly signed trailhead at a hairpin turn in the road (1300')... note that if you drive underneath Roza Canal, you need to backtrack a quarter mile. The trail meandered for two miles, gaining 1400 feet of elevation to Point 2737 and our first look down on Roza Dam and Roza Canal... where we gave back 500 feet of elevation and continued another 2.5 miles over to Point 3208 (a.k.a Gracie Point)... which offered broad views in all directions. The trail pretty much runs north and south... with gentle terrain on the west side and a very steep drop to the Yakima River on the east side. Time permitting, a person could round out this trip with a drive of the Canyon Road and a visit to the Roza Dam. 8.5 miles roundtrip, gaining 2549 feet of elevation. GPS route and photos of our hike on Yakima Skyline Ridge. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 5:00 pm 
This trail is also a nice early season backpack trip, with a camp on Roza Creek or at Birdsong Spring. up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm 
Bighorn sheep? I have never heard of Bighorn sheep being seen that far south in the state. I wonder if they were transplanted there, as a controlled herd?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 8:20 am 
Nice pictures. Very cool that you got to see Bighorns. What is the condition of the dirt road? Would it be drivable in a passenger car such as Honda Civic? Do you have to go through any gates at the end of the paved road?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am 
marta wrote:
Nice pictures. Very cool that you got to see Bighorns. What is the condition of the dirt road? Would it be drivable in a passenger car such as Honda Civic? Do you have to go through any gates at the end of the paved road?
For a dirt road, I thought it was in good shape... the need for high-clearance is definitely not an issue... your Honda Civic shouldn't have any trouble and I don't think any car would have problems... unless perhaps the road was wet and muddy... then 4WD might come in handy. The only gate I remember was at the cattle guard crossing (.7 miles from the trailhead) near a ranch house... and it was open... if there were other gates, they were all open.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostTue Mar 15, 2011 12:20 pm 
Redwic wrote:
Bighorn sheep? I have never heard of Bighorn sheep being seen that far south in the state.
The Yakima River Canyon and areas southeast of Ellensburg are home to more than half the state's 1,500 wild big horn sheep. At least before all the euthanasia due to rampant pneumonia.

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Mar 15, 2011 12:57 pm 
I was not aware of that. Thanks for sharing. up.gif up.gif up.gif I always enjoy seeing Bighorn sheep. They are majestic animals. I now might have a closer place to see some.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostTue Mar 15, 2011 11:48 pm 
Redwic wrote:
I was not aware of that. Thanks for sharing. up.gif up.gif up.gif
No problemo. I see sheep almost every time I drive the canyon road. Also, there are two elk feeding stations near the hwy 12/410 split past Naches. One of them attracts sheep as well as elk.
Washington Rocky Mountain Elk and Big Horn Sheep
Washington Rocky Mountain Elk and Big Horn Sheep

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 am 
On your gps track I noticed two areas where it forked. Are there alternate trails or did you just cross country? When is prime flower season up there?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am 
tigermn wrote:
On your gps track I noticed two areas where it forked. Are there alternate trails or did you just cross country? When is prime flower season up there?
The main trail stays close to the rim all the way to Point 3208. However, on the way up we left the main trail about a mile from Point 3208 and stayed as high as possible to the summit... and on the way back down, we decided to leave the main trail and take a direct line to the car, avoiding a return to Point 2737. Unless visibility is poor, it would be impossible to get lost on the ridge. Here is what the flowers looked like in early May, 2009. ..