Forum Index > Food & Grub > Ultra Light Food?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostSun Mar 27, 2011 12:56 pm 
Hey thanks a lot TC for taking the time to post that. Definitely some great info there. Thank you and everyone else again for posting! up.gif up.gif

North by Northwest
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am 
It basically comes down to this: If you remove all (or most of the water from a food), you get 9 calories per gram of fat versus 4 cal per gram of protein or carb. So the high fat food will give you more than twice the calories for the same amount of weight. Choices of food with most/all of water removed are almost endless, from nuts and nut butters (or just oils like olive oil) and cheese on the high fat end of the spectrum to crackers and dry cereals on the carb end. Pasta is all carb (with a bit of protein), but adding olive oil bumps up the fat content of the finished dish.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am 
I usually bring these:
Energy bar
Energy bar
Average one or two per day. Mmm.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm 
A good way to make that stick of butter a BIT more palatable, if you can cook, would be to brown the butter, then toss pasta in it and shave some Parmesan cheese over it. Mmmmm.......

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 1:11 pm 
Roll it in brown sugar and gnaw on it lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 1:15 pm 
Hard sauce! Cream together butter, brown sugar, a little rum or brandy. I've always thought of it as a way to make the Christmas fruitcake more edible: steam the fruitcake and dump a glob of hard sauce (which melts) on top. The more rum or brandy, the more edible! rotf.gif

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm 
Booze, sugar and fat - a perfect food combo lol.gif up.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 am 
BigSteve wrote:
olive oil = lots of dense calories, the good kind of fat, easy to carry and super long shelf life
Someone mentioned olive oil in another thread last year as well. We've started bringing a small bottle on each trip and it makes a difference in taste and texture plus provides some good calories.
Dayhike Mike wrote:
I usually bring these:
Energy bar
Energy bar
Average one or two per day. Mmm.
eck.gif

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm 
I havent compared but the other day I was cleaning out the cabinet and threw a half box of this out. When I picked it up I couldnt help but to think of this thread. http://www.amazon.com/Earths-Best-Organic-Cereal-8-Ounce/dp/nutrition-facts/B000ER3FD8/ref=gronf_njs_1 Anyway I cant imagine just eating this but it would be a good way to supplement some calories if you could find it somewhere for cheap because the box weighs next to nothing.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm 
Babies love it biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 pm 
How about pemmican bars? Not the honey, oats, and almonds glorified granola bars kind, but the 60% fat, 40% protein kind. That's gotta be close to maxing out the calories per ounce, right?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
I've been looking at cal/oz of various foods suitable for hiking. Here's what I've got so far: 255 - almond oil 251 - olive oil 250 - vegetable oil 196 - freeze dried sausage crumbles 189 - dried egg yolk 185 - walnuts 180 - almond butter 170 - almonds 167 - peanut butter 166 - peanuts 156 - nutella 156 - cashews 152 - freeze dried ground beef 147 - bumble bar 145 - peanut m&ms 140 - whole fat powdered milk 130 - pepperoni 120 - pro bar 116 - beef jerky 114 - freeze dried chicken 113 - cheddar cheese 110 - bonk breaker 108 - dried egg white 100 - salami 100 - clif bar 100 - clif shot gel 100 - clif shot bloks 95 - summer sausage 95 - gu energy gel 90 - gu chomps 90 - salmon jerky 33- smoked salmon 30 - tuna A 1oz bumble bar with 1oz almond butter on it and 1oz walnuts on top gives you 513cal for 3oz, or 171 cal/oz. Dried egg yolk and olive oil with really super charge your dinner. And while fish is healthy and delicious, it's actually very low on calorie density. I wonder what the consequences of eating food really high in fat and low in carbs for a few weeks would be? I figure your body would be able to adjust to metabolizing fat, though it might slow your glycogen replacement. I'd probably want to do an Atkins-style diet for a week before starting a long hike on this food to prime my system for it.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm 
Dane, would you mind me stealing your list for an upcoming talk I have? I still need to send you that spreadsheet! smile.gif

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 am 
Great list Dane. How about a couple other thru hiker staples - Idahoian brand instant mashed potatoes and Lipton / Knorr Rice and Pasta sides. One thing to consider for thru hiking or long stretches between resupply: One need not limit themselves to ONLY super high calorie density foods nor only high protein / high fat. High calorie density foods are great though for bringing up the average calorie density of ones food load. On the thru hike, I used bagels for my salami & cheese sandwich bread. I like 'em better than tortillas (although there was a lot of folks who smeared PB or nutella on a tortilla and sprinkled some cheese on). I also know they're lower calorie density than say cashews or olive oil. But, that's a trade off I was willing to make to have a more palatable (for me) and balanced diet on the trail. Tuna (or in my case, small pop top cans of chicken) were a good choice to insure I was getting complete protein. Low calorie density? You bet. Cheap (compared to freeze dried) and available at any medium grocery store on the trail - a big plus. A shot of olive oil mixed into the dinner however brought it back up to a better average.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
How about a couple other thru hiker staples - Idahoian brand instant mashed potatoes and Lipton / Knorr Rice and Pasta sides.
The potatoes are one thing I remember from when I was doing research for a planned PCT thru-hike. Instant potatoes are light, easy to cook, tasty... and basically useless as calories. ~65 calories/oz. and honestly, they feel like less. I still use the, cause they are tasty, but it's basically just to bulk out a meal, so I feel a little more full. I didn't realize that the fish had such a low calorie count. Again, won't stop me from using the foil packs cause they are so convenient and tasty, but I might switch to a pack each, instead of Ethel and I splitting one for a meal. --Gray