Forum Index > Food & Grub > Ultra Light Food?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
Potatoes though are a good source of potassium, highly useful. Fish may be low calorie but is high in protein. Calories are not everything IMO.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostFri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 pm 
I would agree with sarbar's statement about protein. I pack my food for a trip based on protein first, then calories, and finally weight. I figure if I need energy, my body will burn the fat it needs; but can't repair muscle damage and atrophy without protein. The thumbrule I try to use is 2 grams protein per lb of body weight per day. I actually find this to be difficult to meet without packing beef jerky, nuts, and the snickers energy bars.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
skookum olympus

skookum olympus
PostSat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 am 
2 gm/# Body Weight? Oof that seems like a lot! I've been working with the same calculations myself, and use the same approach as you in general, but had been going with a daily of 1gm/# of Lean Body Mass. Still, at that, it seems like a lot of protein to pack. I follow the Primal Blueprint program, and since adopting it, and following the principle of planning hiking meals first for protein needs, then calories, and in general avoiding carbs, I'm getting a lot more energy and stamina with a lot less pain. Better hikes all the way around. Let me get all geeky about it cool.gif... My primary source of calories is fat. Last year, I used a lot of coconut milk powder in my chai tea. I sweetened it with honey (big cost in weight), but am planning to use Stevia this year. I also relied on whole milk powder and coconut milk powder, parmesan cheese and butter powder for fats in my dinners. I always had a trailmix bag of nuts (with dried berries), with some shredded coconut for snacking thru the day. Protein was my second source of calories. I calculate how much to bring each day, and supply that with a chia seed hot 'cereal' that included some dried apples and cinnamon spice in the morning, almonds, pecans and walnuts thru the day, and dehydrated seasoned ground beef (done at home). I also utilized foil-paks of tuna for lunch and foil-packs of chicken for dinner. The chicken or beef are combined with a sauce packet I'd pre-measured at home (coconut powder with curry spice for one, and whole milk, butter, parmesan and spices for another) and hot water FBC style. I have found, the hard way, that on longer trips, of say 3 nights out or more, that variety is very important. Last year, I was able to pack all my food for a 9-day trip in one Garcia Bear Canister. Between 2 meats and 2 sauces, I had 4 dinners. I am working on 2 new recipes for this year. Conceivably, I could eat something different each night for weeks. I've lost a large amount of weight over the last two years (thanks Primal Blueprint!), and am realizing that I should better calculate my menus for this season. I've a little "N=1" experiment going on again this year, and will be seeing what I can do to plan for 4000 kcal/day with 155 gm protein/day. It seems like so much more than I did last year, but my readings indicate I will still be operating at a 20% daily caloric deficit. As I get to my target body composition, I'll continue to re-calculate my menu, eventually allowing for a 5000 kcal/day menu. My experience is that the lower carb I go, paying attention to my protein and caloric needs, has had remarkably positive results. I do allow carbs, but supply them with berries and dried fruit. I do not pack rice, potatoes or any kind of grain. Sometimes, I think I might think about things too much... hmmm.gif

..... to be whole and harmonious, man must also know the music of the beaches and the woods. He must find the thing of which he is only an infinitesimal part and nurture it and love it, if he is to live. ~Wm. O. Douglas
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am 
actually, the honey is not a big cost in weight. It's all carbs with a little moisture added, so a little heavier than dried honey or sugar, but not much. Honey has 3 calories per gram, sugar has 4. Carbs and protein both have the same number of calories per gram. Fat has more than twice what carbs and protein have, as you know since you're emphasizing getting your calories from fat. So keep eating the honey! Maple syrup is also a good sweetener and also comes in at about 3 cal/gram.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 pm 
And one can get maple syrup in granular form as well!

ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostThu Apr 28, 2011 3:40 pm 
onemoremile wrote:
I pack my food for a trip based on protein first, then calories, and finally weight..
This. I want to keep my muscle mass in tact as much as possible and rely on fat stores for extra energy if needed. When it comes time for me to do the PCT I plan on packing a carbine rifle and of course a spool of fishing line and some hooks. My go to food source for the trail is such. Mix w/ a quart of water. I'll drink 1-2 of these a day along w/ a protein bar for breakfast or nuts and then a freeze dried meal for diner. Usually equaling 1lb per day. 2oz of powdered gatorade (200 cal, 56 carb) 1 oz of whey and/or caesin protein powder (200 cal, 36 protein, 12 carb, 4 fat) 1 oz of carlsons lemon distilled fish oil (230 cal, 23 fat) Edit: I'll add an Amino Acid tablet. Most AA are striped from whey protein. 4oz = 630 cal, 27 fat 36 pro and 68 carb For long intense day trips I'll make some homemade energy gel consisting of 20% honey, 30% agave nectar, 50% brown rice syrup. Add a strong saline solution of kosher salt (about 1 oz total solution in a 12 oz bottle of gel). This provides a quick acting carb and medium digesting carb and a sustaining carb. 1 bottle provides enough energy (for me at least) for a 20mi+ and 8000k+ day. It can get kind of hard to swallow on hot days (much sweeter), but on cooler or winter days it tastes pretty good all day long w/ the occasional tea. I'm going to try a similar recipe at some point but sub in maltrodextrin for the brown rice syrup so it's not as sweet. I'll be able to add a flavored alchohol concentrate like orange/vanilla and play w/ some flavors. The maltodextrin makes it much more palatable as it's not as sweet.

packgoat

packgoat
PostTue May 03, 2011 10:22 pm 
Adventure racing. I crewed for my son on one of his RAAMs and since he was on the bike for 22 hours he took all his nourishment by powder in water. Also had a friend who did the PCT alone and after breakfast she poured a set amount of powder in a water bottle and sipped all day, replenishing as needed. Did not stop for lunch but rested 10 minutes/hour. Ate a light dinner. She averaged 14.3 miles/day at age 60. She tried to maintain 2MPH up, level, and down. The following year she soloed the App. trail the same way. Sandra Johnson, might have a web site.

pnw.hiker

pnw.hiker
PostTue May 03, 2011 10:45 pm 
I used to start my trips by pounding a sixpack at the trailhead. Tinderbox calories.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostFri May 06, 2011 10:54 am 
I would almost think that soybeans would be an ideal food, having a large amount of protien and not all that expensive. Not sure how well they dry after cooking though. They make soy pasta and soy flour don't they? Seems like a nice way to have convenient dry protien on the trial...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri May 06, 2011 11:02 am 
Freeze-dried edamame is sooo good up.gif You can find it usually in the snack section in the natural food section at Fred Meyers!

Pastor Kyes

Pastor Kyes
PostThu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm 
Now your talking! Throw in a hunk of cheese and some hard dinner rolls and you can go for a couple days easy.

Ziploc

Ziploc
PostThu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm 
I've added Dried Tofu to my food favorites. Not everyone likes it but it works well in soups. It needs to be soaked for about 10 min before adding to hot soup and then I give it another 5 min. It's made by Eden Foods. I'll add 3 or 4 pieces to a meal.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm 
Dane wrote:
I wonder what the consequences of eating food really high in fat and low in carbs for a few weeks would be? I figure your body would be able to adjust to metabolizing fat, though it might slow your glycogen replacement. I'd probably want to do an Atkins-style diet for a week before starting a long hike on this food to prime my system for it.
Funny, I just read a book over the weekend you'd like, Dane. It's called Metabolic Efficiency Training by Bob Seebohar. It's a thin book, easy to read. It only took me about two hours to dig through. Part of the book is about metabolic testing (VO2 testing) -- which requires $ but can give you a base of how your body is using fat and carbs, but the premise and training tips can be followed. Basically the book attempts to instruct you how to train your body to become more efficient in burning fat (which everyone has more of) than carbs (shorter term kick). He concludes by saying that if you follow this idea of training your body to more efficiently use fats and carbs, then you can eat fewer calories during competition and intense training (which can cause GI distress). I thought it related to hiking and multi-day backpacking trips really well. Here's a short summary of the book and a link where you can buy it. It would definitely be a shift in my diet to go this route (more fat, omega-3, more fruits/veggies, more protein, less carbs and less supplements like gels and energy bars). Especially as a vegetarian. I could see more cheeses, beans!, eggs, nuts and nut butters going into my diet. Reading back through the thread, it sounds like skookum olympus' Primal Blueprint is very similar, with similar results to what Seebohar touts.

Opinions expressed here are my own.