Forum Index > Food & Grub > Kitchri - takes a while to cook, but worth it
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Mar 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
This is not a quick, ultralight backpacking meal. I have, however, done this over a very small, slow cook fire. It's simply awesome, cheap, deeply good, soul satisfying food. Kitchri 3 onions, sliced very thin 3 Tbsp Ghee, or coconut oil (ghee tastes better) 1.5 tsp salt 2 tsp garam masala 1 C rice 1 C lentils 5 C water (or broth) Fry the onions in the ghee or coconut oil over very low heat until the onions are thoroughly carmelized - they'll be soft, sticky, and deep brown. (this takes longer than you think it will, but it's really worth it) Remove half of the onions to use as a garnish. Add rice and lentils to the pan and stir for a minute or so to combine them with the onions. Add the salt and garam masala, stir well. Add the water, cover the pot, and cook over low for 1/2 hour. (more like 45 minutes if you're using brown rice) Top with the reserved onions and dig in. *fixed spice measurements*

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostMon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 pm 
You should try frying the spices with the onions in the butter, it really brings out the flavors.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 22, 2011 12:30 pm 
Dumb question: Is Kitchri a specific ingredient or is it just the name of the recipe you provided? Is Kitchri the same as Kitchari? (Google seems to think they're the same thing...). If it IS an ingredient, how much Kitchri does your recipe call for? Also, does this recipe really call for 1.5 tablespoons of salt? Ditto 2 tablespoons of garam masala? (quite a lot of garam masala!)

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Mar 22, 2011 3:50 pm 
The name of the dish is Kitchri. I don't know if kitchari is the same thing, I just know the name on the top of my recipe card. Those should be teaspoons, sorry! (I never actually measure spices)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
garrets

garrets
PostTue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 pm 
Thanks for the post. I might actually add this to my at-home dinner line up. smile.gif

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 am 
my guess is same thing, kitchri and kitcheri or kitchari. Basically is just rice and dal cooked together in one pot with spices, typcially turmeric, cumin, coriander, and maybe mustard seeds. It's a staple at our house. We usually use Indian Basmati Rice from Trader Joes for the rice. For the dal, we've used red lentils, whole green mung, split yellow mung (have to visit an Indian grocer for this), even brown lentils (my least favorite). And yes, it's more yummy if you fry the onions and spices in ghee.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 am 
PS Home made ghee tastes so much better than store bought. To make, just heat unsalted butter over low heat till it melts. Continue to heat as the milky stuff boils. Stir occasionally. Be careful as the white stuff starts to boil away (probably 10 min or more if you're cooking on low heat). Once all the water/milk has boiled away it's very easy to burn the milk solids. But if you watch carefully and let them start to turn light brown or even medium brown, they will impart a nutty flavor to the finished ghee. Once they're slightly browned remove from heat, let cool somewhat, and then strain into a jar. (Careful, they will continue turning a darker brown even after you've removed them from the heat, so allow for that.) If you've boiled all the watery/milky stuff away, the finished ghee should keep for a couple of weeks at room temp, but we usually keep in refrig. When it's fresh, like right after you've strained it, you can almost eat it with a spoon. Yum!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood