Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Restoring an old barn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 am 
Don’t know if the photos are adequate for people to weigh in on. Is this barn too far gone to restore for esthetic value (not to house horses).
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn
Barn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 am 
If the goal is having a reminder of past pastoral architecture-- does it need to be restored at all? One hallmark of farming /ranching days gone by are collaped barns not being consumed by blackberry bushes (at least on the westside) You could even document the decay and collapse by a time-lapse. If you need a structure for some practical purpose that's a different question.

Roly Poly
contour5

contour5
PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:54 am 
The structure is pretty far gone. Restoration would probably mean lifting the building a foot or two and pouring a new foundation. This would require permitting, and would probably involve an architect and an engineer.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 23, 2022 12:16 pm 
It's missing so much siding that it would be an extremely expensive project. I restored a barn about that size once but there was a smaller building nearby in worse shape that I could salvage the siding from and had some left over at the end.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 6:14 am 
Anything is possible, but I agree that it would be a large and expensive project. Them foundation pads are crazy You! You could consider reusing the wood to make a smaller version, or sell it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 7:21 am 
If you need a functional building, It's going to be faster, cheaper and safer to erect a new "pole barn" type building on adjacent location on the property. You could remove the old building and use the same site , but removing the old building will cost something and care needs to be taken that it doesn't fall on someone while it is being torn down. I'm sure companies that erect "pole barns" have crews skilled in old structures removal.

Gregory

Gregory
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 8:02 am 
Yes, for all practical purposes. If it was some kind of memory I was trying to preserve I would tear down the old barn, salvaging the lumber and use the old barn wood to build something new to carry on the memory.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm 
I don't see anything from either an architectural, techniques of construction, or wood type that would make it worth saving. I have seen a lot of old barns in the East that have been painstakingly disassembled, typically moved then reconstructed for new purposes. But those typically have some "hook" that makes them special to make it worth the effort. Hardwood construction, impressive hand joinery work, historically significant architecture, etc. This barn looks like it was built from round softwood logs and "patched" together to keep it usable as a barn. I am no expert but that is my $.02.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 4:48 pm 
To heck with the barn, that looks like a great spot! How is the view from the barn?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 5:11 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Anything is possible, but I agree that it would be a large and expensive project. Them foundation pads are crazy You! You could consider reusing the wood to make a smaller version, or sell it.
That would be the way to go, I have reused a lot of metal roofing, patching holes with roof sealant with good results. Old barn wood is also very sought after and valuable these days for use in "rustic decor". Also, since it's still standing, it is likely stronger than it looks. We have an old shop and an out building with similar structural design that are still standing and stable even when loaded with 4-6' of snow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:11 pm 
How old is it? Any history to it? Famous cows who lived there? smile.gif i do know of a humongus barn near Winlock that was restored using a grant for such projects. It was of a more, distinct style and had a history. The owners would not have been able to afford fixing it up without a grant. It's very impressive. They use it for parties and stuff now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 pm 
https://dahp.wa.gov/historic-registers/heritage-barn-register/heritage-barn-grants

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Chief Joseph, Slim