Forum Index > Gear Talk > Vibrams Five Fingers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu May 06, 2010 5:57 am 
Lets talk about the Five Fingers shoes by Vibram. Does anyone have them and if so how do you like them?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostThu May 06, 2010 8:10 am 
What do you plan to use them for? I tried them rock climbing once and they sucked major...

North by Northwest
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu May 06, 2010 11:20 am 
I know some people run with them as it forces you to run on your toes which saves your knees. REI can't keep them in stock.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostThu May 06, 2010 2:06 pm 
I love mine. I've never been able to run in regular shoes without getting shin splints/knee pain/ankle pain/back pain, but when I'm in VFFs, the only thing stopping me is my exploding heart. pig.gif I just got a second pair a couple of weeks ago so I can have one pair (KSO) for exercise and one (Sprint) for everyday use. I've done some trail running with them and used them on one little hike (Rattlesnake Ledges), and as long as it's dry (they get really slippery in mud or snow) they're great on trails. (Oh, and they're a great conversation starter - a must-have if you're single! wink.gif )
Nike Park
Nike Park
Upper Ledge
Upper Ledge
Watershed Preserve
Watershed Preserve

Phil

Phil
PostThu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm 
I aim to try these at some point but have a strained achilles so would be bad idea to alter stride (to land on toes/mid foot) in way that increases strain on that area. Same might be said for most folks: it can be risky to suddenly change footwear and running style dramatically. Click through some of the stuff you can find on barefoot running, separate the zealots (for and against barefoot running) or those whose recommendations are informed by how much $ they stand to make, versus from those who are thoughtful and objective about it, and go from there. http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostThu May 06, 2010 2:46 pm 
I should add that I was brainwashed by Born to Run. And yes, it's extremely important to transition slowly. You're using totally different muscles/tendons than you've been using most of your life in shoes, so there's a risk of injury if you go too far too fast.

Phil

Phil
PostThu May 06, 2010 3:17 pm 
Right on, I'm reading that book now. It's too hyperbolic for my tastes but still curious. From the Harvard barefoot running site I think this is the message that registered most with me: "We hypothesize and there is anecdotal evidence that forefoot or midfoot striking can help avoid and/or mitigate repetitive stress injuries, especially stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, and runner's knee. We emphasize, however, that this hypothesis on injury has yet to be tested and that there have been no direct studies on the efficacy of forefoot strike running or barefoot running on injury." May be just another fad as far as Im concerned but if thats what it takes to get people (me included) off their fannies, its all good.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 06, 2010 3:45 pm 
Mid/forefoot strike is one way to mitigate planarfasciitis, and VFF are said to work great for PF. I have a sample pair coming soon and will keep you posted how it works on MY PF. I have it in both feet, and one is particularly bad.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Timmie

Timmie
PostThu May 06, 2010 7:00 pm 
I have a pair of Sprints that I run in. Love them! I have been injury free so far! Shin splints have always kept me from running and those are a thing of the past. I am hoping to have a pair of KSO treks by the end of this month for walking/hiking. They are not for everyone. Please also pay close attention to the sizing as I have heard of people blowing out seams and I can only guess that they bought too small thinking that they are "gloves". They do fit snug but should not rub blisters in your toes or heals.

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostThu May 06, 2010 9:25 pm 
I'm curious about 'em, too... 1) For those of you who use them for general purpose (e.g. walking around town), do you walk on your midfeet, too? 2) You strike differently when you're wearing these and when you wear regular shoes, right? So if you're wearing, say, dress shoes, you'll still get the "clock clock clock" sound of walking? Maybe when I start running again I'll throw in for a pair, as I've always wondering why we emphasize heel cushioning!

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri May 07, 2010 5:36 am 
Well I appreciate all the info. I am a runner and run stairs to stay in shape for my outdoor activities. The knees are starting to feel the years and thought I would give these a try. I do know there is a time of getting used to them. Reminds me of a few times when I forgot my running shoes at home and ran.That whole week my calves were sore due to the difference. So this time I will work into it although I don't get my Vibrams until mid June from REI due to the back ordering from popularity.

Timmie

Timmie
PostFri May 07, 2010 7:59 am 
@ Kep - Ordering them online will get them to you much faster. @Tiger - From my understanding of the web info, most people walk with their feet below their hips leading to less heel strikes. When you run bare foot you will should do the same. When I do slide into heeled shoes I do start heel striking because the heel hangs so much lower and hits the ground first. Again from Web info your larger, more cushioned heel allows you to make longer strides when you run. In theory it should make you faster. The barefoot running sites argue that by extending your foot farther it actually starts acting like a brake. Your heel hits and sends a spike of energy up your leg for the bones to absorb. By running on your balls or mid-foot your making more of a kissing the ground stride with your torso forward allowing the foot to properly absorb the impact. The other theory with removing the foot from a tightly laced up shoe is it allows the foot to flex and bend with the ground. In a shoe if you put your foot half way on a curb edge it will be stable until you place a good amount of your weight behind it. At that point your shoe tips and you roll your ankle. When bare foot and placing your foot on the same rock, root, or curb your foot feels the difference before your weight is committed and your adjust your balance away from the unstable area. Good luck to you all who try them.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri May 07, 2010 10:05 am 
Thanks for the info Timmie. I did order online but when I got them they were a little small so I sent them back for larger. Then I was notified they were on back order. If anyone does purchase pair make sure you measure your feet as with me one foot is a little longer than the other. Also like a new pair of boots there is an adjustment period or breaking in time.

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri May 07, 2010 10:21 am 
Ingunn wrote:
I should add that I was brainwashed by Born to Run. And yes, it's extremely important to transition slowly. You're using totally different muscles/tendons than you've been using most of your life in shoes, so there's a risk of injury if you go too far too fast.
Ditto on reading "Born To Run" and transitioning slowly. As for Vibram Five Fingers, I have both the regular fabric KSO and the leather KSO Trek models. I use the KSOs for exercise class, running, and general wear. I use the Treks (with their more aggressive tread pattern on the sole) for hiking and trail running. I did a few hikes in the regular KSOs, and they were fine for everything except slick mud; not enough grip on the tread for that. The Treks solved that problem. I don't like either pair for cold+wet conditions, even with wool toe-socks (Injinji). The separate toe pockets just get cold too easily in that situation. But for cool+dry or warm (wet or dry) conditions, I really like them. I do find that for longer hikes or runs I need to wear socks with them in order to avoid blisters where some internal seams rub my feet. Caveat: So far, I've only hiked with them on-trail, so I don't yet know how they'll perform off-trail.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
For me my issue with hiking with them would be ankle twist. More so off trail. How many times have you been hiking tru the brush and stepped in a hole to have your foot twist and without a boot support that would be a full blown ankle twist. Not to mention the sticks and logs that would poke and hit the semi unprotected top part. But for a good dry trail hike it sounmds like they are perfect. I will be trying them out for sure!!