Forum Index > Trip Reports > Observation Point, Zion National Park, Utah 2011.02.06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dropper

dropper
PostTue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm 
Slept in the rental jeep at a rest area outside Zion & woke up to the low 20's about 6am. Got some coffee & headed into the main entrance of Zion as the sunrise was happening. The trail up to Observation Point was frozen solid. Threw the YakTrax on & started up. This trail climbs from the floor of Zion to the very top of the valley walls. Lots of frozen switchbacks in the first 45mins. Then came a nice surprise, the trail takes you through an amazing short slot canyon. About a mile after exiting the slot canyon, i stowed the YakTrax. I was high enough that the sun was able to melt everything out for the rest of the hike up. The pictures say the rest. I saw one couple on their way up when i was heading down about 20mins from the jeep but that was it. Solitude all hike long otherwise. If you look in the lefthand corner of the panoramic shot, you'll see the narrow trail. If you are interested in the topology of the area, the full hike is on WAtrails. My Asolos were toast, Zion was their swan song. I had read reviews of people still wearing them 10yrs later but my 2.5yr old pair had ceased being water proof about 6months ago & it wasn't due to lack of treatment/conditioning. The leather body had separated from the sole by the small toe. & the back 4 inches of one sole was flapping in the wind as i walked through the Vega$ airport. I switched to flip flops & left them in the airport garbage.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Zion is a great place!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm 
dropper wrote:
My Asolos were toast, Zion was their swan song. I had read reviews of people still wearing them 10yrs later but my 2.5yr old pair had ceased being water proof about 6months ago & it wasn't due to lack of treatment/conditioning. The leather body had separated from the sole by the small toe.
lol.gif I just returned my 2.5yr old pair (FSN 95 GTX) to REI; yes they took it back! In my case the waterproofing gave way within the first 6 months, despite treatment, but I stuck with them. Then, a month ago the leather actually split near the big toe, where they have a hard section for extra protection. I was quite fed up with them by then, so I took them to REI to ask for solutions. They took them back and refunded me; I now have a brand new pair of boots (Vasques) to try out this weekend! eek.gif REI rocks, Asolos (or at least the ones I had) do not.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
dropper

dropper
PostTue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm 
Ha, sounds like just where mine split. My traction was around 40% percent as well. But in my case, i felt the wear was warranted. I get out between 45-60 times a year & in the spring/summer, they are often 10mile or more hikes. I'm already working on breaking in my new pair of Asolos. I had to go through many different boots before i was willing to pay what Asolos go for but they are by far the best boot i've ever worn.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 pm 
Wow, looks amazing. Thanks for the report!! (also endorsing Asolo)