Forum Index > Trip Reports > April 16, 2011 Yodelin Ski: Welldiggers 5276'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Apr 17, 2011 1:09 pm 
For the past few weeks I've been in Philadelphia for a family emergency when I thought I'd be in southern Utah. Home briefly, I decided to get out with Jake and Dave for a headclearing excursion. We decided Yodelin might yield some fresh new snow in safe conditions. Standard approach from the overflow Stevens lot up the combo of roads and cut over slopes brought us to the top. It was a pretty day with the new snow. Straight off the top we skied the pleasant open trees, then the various cut units, all the way to the highway with a few brief traverses leftward back toward the parking lot. A mile walk along the Hwy brought us back to the car. We took about an hour traversing all around the summit ridge looking for skiing possibilities in the future. That extra time killed our opportunity to continue to Big Chief: next time. Not many pics, no one wanted to set up any descent shots. Snow was thick, heavy, and wet powder with about 6 inch ski penetration. Toward the bottom it was unconsolidated bottomless mush. Apologies for not getting this out in time for today's planning.
last look at winter?
last look at winter?
Across the crest
Across the crest
Pretty ridgetop
Pretty ridgetop
Dave Hucking it
Dave Hucking it
traversing home
traversing home

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message